Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Cleaning Products

21K views 73 replies 36 participants last post by  westco 
#1 ·
Hey all

After some thoughts for cleaning our new cars. Am thinking wash only for 6-9 months but not decided on the wax/sealant realms. Washing wise I've got

Chemical Guys CWS_110 Honeydew Snow Foam Car Wash Soap and Cleanser
Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt
Interior - Chemical Guys SPI_109_16 Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Complete Leather Care Kit (tempted to go with their new car smell stuff too)

Wax / Sealant wise after 6-9 months, leaning towards the sealant

Sealant i'm thinking Wolfgang WG-5500 Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
Wax was considering Collinite Marque D'Elegance 915

Would like to know thoughts / hear what you like or what's junk :)

Andy

#6 ·
I use Sonax almost exclusively. Other than clay lube, have been very unimpressed with Chemical Guys other products. They do smell good, but work lousy IMHO.

#8 ·
mc3456 said:
I use Sonax almost exclusively. Other than clay lube, have been very unimpressed with Chemical Guys other products. They do smell good, but work lousy IMHO.
Thanks for the +2 on the Sonax. I've really only used Autoglym and just finishing up using a massive kit I got a while back so very interested in these new brands (to me). Do you wax/sealant/both?

Hmm they do serve CT. Am I reading it right they come out to you? Either way they're only an hour away from me... how much do they charge for an 'emergency' clean? Sounds like 6+ hours isn't going to be a bargain?

#12 ·
I understand the pain, sometimes you just don't have time for detailing on your own. But when I do find time it can be quite satisfying, especially when there are 2 little helpers that are super enthusiastic about car washing.

In terms of products, I've been using mostly on-the-shelf Meguiar's stuff in the past, but lately I'm experimenting with more specialized products such as the ones discussed here. My routine was: hand wash twice a month; clay bar/wax/seal twice a year; also did paint correction on the 4th and 9th year on my previous car (didn't have PPF so front end accumulated quite a few chips and swirls). Planning to install Xpel on the front side.

Anyone has experience in leather care products? This is my first car with real leather interior, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

#13 ·
Thanks that's useful info! I've used McGuire's a bit in the past too and same I want to try new things.

I'll let you know what the Chemical Guys SPI_109_16 is like for interior. My little imp has put his feet all over the back of the seat so when the kick mats arrive i'll get to work on it :) I've used the wipes in the past on the SUV and hate how they dry out all the sodding time so went with the sprays

#15 · (Edited)
I like my research, and usually do a ton before pulling the trigger on most things... I use these 3 sites...as my go to for purchasing car cleaning products. I purchased a bunch of AMMO NYC stuff and he's got Excellent videos, and the cleaning products I feel are 2nd to none.

https://www.ammonyc.com/

Griot's Garage - bought the glass cleaning tools/spray - works great.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/home.do

Lastly, bought the 2 bucket system (piece by piece back when I bought it) - from Adams Polishes - A MUST to keep our paint in perfect condition/reduce scratches!
***I have cheated before and just used 1 bucket w/grit guard as I use a foam gun***, but still use a separate brush/bucket/sponge for wheels.

http://adamspolishes.com/

Adam's has great videos as well.

Lastly, check out Matt's blog/youtube channel for washing - he's got some excellent information on here, and is a fantastic resource for all things cars...

http://obsessedgarage.com/

Cheers,
A

#16 ·
#24 ·
Any body know the ballpark cost for ceramic coating?

#25 ·
It depends on what brand and what coverage you want? Ceramic Pro tends to be a little more costly but highly recommended. They have a lifetime warranty finish (most expensive) and then they have a 5 year warranty and also a 2 year one. I had the lifetime done but I got a huge discount, typical lifetime for the Ceramic Pro brand I think runs about $2,500-$3,500. I also had Llumar clear bra for entire front including headlights in conjunction with the Ceramic Pro. Clear bra's run in different packages as well.

#26 ·
I was quoted $850 for the clear bra to do front end, hood, door handle areas. Don't want to spend too much since it is a lease.

Reactions: John_K_348
#27 ·
I purchased my car, since yours is a lease I think it comes down to what you are planning on doing with the car upon lease term. If you think you will buy it upon lease term then invest more money in the Clear bras and paint coating. If you plan on turning it back in, then I say forget the clear bra and only do a 2 year Ceramic pro. Assuming you have a 24 month lease? The ceramic pro adds a layer of protection and it makes keeping the car clean a whole easier.

#28 ·
Anyone have a preferred tar remover? Hopefully only needed for one-time use!

#31 ·
Forgot to include before and after pictures.

Attachments

#34 ·
Have not myself. He publishes a lot of great videos! One in particular was the restoration of faded carbon fiber. His process worked great and I was able to restore a part a lot easier than initially thought.

Off-the-shelf products can be great. I've been a believer of Meguire's and Zaino products for a decade plus at this point. Using the correct product for the proper application is paramount.

#33 ·
I have had good luck with Meguires and Mothers products. Amorall and Black Magic too. All of those premium products mentioned above are great. Go with what works for you. I tried Chemical Guys Bare Bones chassis spray on my Miata when I put the winters on. Smells like grape soda and put a nice seal on the plastic, rubber and fresh chassis paint I did. It soaks into the gaps and joints and helps slow down the corrosive stuff. You have to let it sit for 15 mins before wiping. It's like a cross between tire gel and plastic protectant and is safe on paints.

#35 ·
Will have to check out the grape stuff. I've been using spray wax for undercarriage cleaning and protection. Time for something new and improved!

#43 ·
Since the seats are perforated, I don't think it makes a difference at all in how you prep / clean them.

For leather conditioning, I use Meguiars Mirror Bright Leather Lotion on all my cars with great results:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/MirrorBright

Griots Garage also makes a great leather product,.

Thanks

#45 ·
For the "quick detailer" category, I have found an ABSOLUTE CHAMPION which I would like to publish to assist fellow owners.

This one:

Optimum (ID2008Q) Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer
or
Optimum (ID2008P) Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer

I have tried many different QD products, and this one works best.
Goes on great, easy to remove, leaves a GREAT shine and slickness behind. Smells good as a bonus, but even if if smelled like skunk-ass roadkill, I'd still love the way it works.

I challenge everyone here to find one better than that and let me know. I'll wait :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.