Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Hoping for some feedback. Can't decide between Citgo 91 octane ethanol free around $3.50 or Shell V Power 93 with ethanol for around $3.50.

My butt dyno cannot tell the difference between either. My MPG is about the same on both.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
They are both Top Tier brands, can't go wrong with either!

·
Supporting Vendor
705 Posts
You are lucky you have the choice. In many parts of the country 91/Ethanol is the best that's available.

For vintage vehicles, non-ethanol gas is always the correct answer. For modern machines like the Giulia I would probably choose the higher octane.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Hey all,

Hoping for some feedback. Can't decide between Citgo 91 octane ethanol free around $3.50 or Shell V Power 93 with ethanol for around $3.50.

My butt dyno cannot tell the difference between either. My MPG is about the same on both.

Thoughts?
No to CITGO can't support Venezuela purely political:wink2: I'm old enough to remember when we could by CanAm fuel @ 103 octane @ Texaco gas stations, not all, but some carried it:grin2:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Either one will be fine for you car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sunoco 100 octane!

Attachments

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ll probably just stick to 93 then, cause in my route. Haha

·
Registered
86 Posts
Any one tried E85? Will it void the warranty or log something on the vehicle database?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
E85 will start destroying parts of your vehicle fuel system and is not compatible with your Giulia.

As for your warranty, straight from the Owners Manual:

"Caution DO NOT use gasoline containing methanol or gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol (E-15). Use of these blends may result in starting and drivability problems, damage critical fuel system components, cause emissions to exceed the applicable standard, and/or cause the “Malfunction Indicator Light” to illuminate. Please observe pump labels as they should clearly communicate if a fuel contains greater than 15% ethanol (E-15)."

"Problems that result from using gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol (E-15) or gasoline containing methanol are not the responsibility of the manufacturer and may void or not be covered under New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

Since E85 is 85% ethanol, you can figure the rest. Also, it gets about 67% the MPG of pure gasoline or about 70% that of E10 gasoline...but usually costs more than 70% of the gas price per gallon.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I use 91 octane ethanol free only. Use app pure gas when on road trips. I think only once half a tank of 10% in 14k miles.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Based on other posts too, I have limited my gas to Shell Premium. Many stations around Chicagoland to choose from. Should I instead be searching and using all the Pure gas stations? Am I hurting my Italian girlfriend?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Based on other posts too, I have limited my gas to Shell Premium. Many stations around Chicagoland to choose from. Should I instead be searching and using all the Pure gas stations? Am I hurting my Italian girlfriend?
No your not hurting anything if you use 10% Ethanol, I use pure gas because it has more energy in it than ethanol ( and I'm old and stuck in my ways). Slight difference in power and MPG can't feel its all in my head.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I’ve been using premiums from Shell, Conoco or BP, with good results. Ironically, I stumbled across a Sinclair gas station in Long Island NY. This was a brand we had here many ions ago. Filled up and had really liked it. The station is twenty miles out of my way, but have been looking for any excuse to pass it. My poor Wife.

·
Registered
735 Posts
No facts to back my claim other then experience with gunk in small engines using the ethanol mixture and my gut feeling that tells me that pure will create less residue on intake valves in single injector DFI engines.

Of course, I also started wondering about the uncanny simplicity of electric powertrains when I peek in QV engine bay, but that is something for another discussion.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You are lucky you have the choice. In many parts of the country 91/Ethanol is the best that's available.

For vintage vehicles, non-ethanol gas is always the correct answer. For modern machines like the Giulia I would probably choose the higher octane.
Even non-ethanol doesn't have lead that vintage valve seats need. Easier in the long run to do hardened valve seats than additives.

·
Supporting Vendor
705 Posts
Even non-ethanol doesn't have lead that vintage valve seats need. Easier in the long run to do hardened valve seats than additives.
Vintage Alfas never needed the lead for valve seat issues as they always had hardened steel valve seats anyways.

But, the Spica mechanical fuel injection pumps do need some extra lubrication with unleaded gas, and Marvel Mystery Oil seems to work well for that.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
No to CITGO can't support Venezuela purely political:wink2: I'm old enough to remember when we could by CanAm fuel @ 103 octane @ Texaco gas stations, not all, but some carried it:grin2:
Thanks @MDdiver for posting your response. Citgo, headquartered in the area of Houston, is majority-owned by PDVSA, a state-owned company of the Venezuelan government (although due to U.S. sanctions, in 2019, they no longer economically benefit from Citgo). No to Citgo as sooner or later money will get to the assassin dictator Maduro and to all his gang who have destroyed Venezuela.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts