Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled across this article on my Google homepage. Shows some artist's rendering of the next gen Chrysler 300 as basically a Giulia with a Chrysler grill. I know there's rumors that the 300 will move to the Giorgio platform eventually, but man do I hope this never makes it further than some random artist's rendering. The last thing I need is the Alfa haters to start saying the Giulia is just a 300 parts bin car, even though it would be the other way around technically. Chrysler, please design your own cars. Leave our beautiful Giulias alone.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/08/chrysler-300-getting-old-using-giulia-styling-beyond-absurd/

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The 300 in Italy is a Lancia so I guess it makes sense. I don’t see a huge problem with the concept as long as they visually distinguish the 300 more than that rendering. You have to wonder about a 700 hp hemi in a really good chassis lol

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts
I hope this doesn't happen. I like the uniqueness of the giulia and don't want to share that with a 300

·
Registered
317 Posts
Also that would be the Chrysler 200 not 300 in terms of size and the prior 200's front fascia. I think their only shot at Chrysler is to re-establish a larger luxury car and not another competing smaller sedan. It's too bad (for Walter) that decades of financial problems and management issues have dwindled it to this. The Imperial was their top of the line and able to compete with other luxury brands. In the classic, pre-war era it was seen on some of the longest chassis and fitted by custom body builders. A few are up for auction this fall but I digress. Their post-war woodies were nicely styled; the Desoto companion brand looked great through about 1956 and sold well for awhile. It's sad now only in that it is hard to establish a new product - it is so much better to take a prior product and product-name and continue to refine it. To his credit Walter produced the first (or one of the first) American cars with hydraulic, 4 wheel brakes in 1924. Also by buying the Dodge Brothers he had more powerful engines than Henry. Nonetheless as Sergio recently mentioned Chrysler is no longer a world brand outside of the NAFTA area so any propping up of the name will probably be done in this kind of way - sharing platforms.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
This is just a lazy 5 minute render that tries to look like 200 which was a big flop

300 actually has a big following and its distincive look doesnt translate into this render....I bet if 300 does come it will not look anything like this, would also have to be at least a foot or more longer than Giulia, probably on extended Giorgio like 2020 “Alfetta”

Easiest thing would be to change some sheetmetal and rearrange interior on a ghibli, 300 owners like the size space and presence....it already has Chrysler block based engine as well

300 is EU also rebadged as a Lancia which is particular insult to the italian brand, Ghibli based 300 and Lancia would be much better fit into lineup imo

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
A Ghibli-based 300 would likely be too expensive.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I thought it was Quattroporte-based.
The Quattroporte is derived from the 300 platform. The Ghibli is basically a shorter Quattroporte. The Levante is essentially a taller Ghibli. Therefore, all 3 are related, by varying degrees, to the 300.

FCA has tried to downplay the fact for (understandable) marketing reasons; but when you look under the skin, although there have been significant tweaks (such as the much more rigid cast aluminium front suspension turrets), the relation is obvious.

Just have a look at the front and rear frame rails on a Quattroporte:

And on a Challenger:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Omg

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
The Quattroporte is derived from the 300 platform. The Ghibli is basically a shorter Quattroporte. The Levante is essentially a taller Ghibli. Therefore, all 3 are related, by varying degrees, to the 300.

FCA has tried to downplay the fact for (understandable) marketing reasons; but when you look under the skin, although there have been significant tweaks (such as the much more rigid cast aluminium front suspension turrets), the relation is obvious.
Though likely a good use of capital, FCA's tale of begats goes in circles. :rolleyes: I wonder whether there's more 300 in the Quattroporte and Ghibli than there is Giulietta in the Dart, 200, and Cherokee.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That I can't tell because I don't know them enough. What I do know is that they recycled some of the work that had been done for the stillborn FWD Giulia (944).

As for the Maseratis, they needed to ship new products and at the time they didn't have the resources (nor the time) to make a clean sheet design.

Although the end result was certainly an improvement compared to the starting point, Mr. Marchionne saw the need for an all-new RWD platform, and the skunkworks team in Modena was formed; the result is of course Giorgio.

The upcoming smaller Maserati SUV is based on Giorgio. Given the expense and effort they went through to develop the platform, it's very likely that future FCA US products will leverage it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah I think you need to look at big picture and be a bit pragmatic. Maserati needed a platform and the 300 stuff fit the bill. Chassis is super important but what you hang off your chassis makes or breaks it. Deriding Chrysler using the Giorgio for other offerings is very short sighted. If all you care about is that the Giulia is the pinnacle of Alfa and should be one final triumph for the brand and then let it go the way of the dodo then sure it makes sense to not share the work with other sister brands.

If you want FCA to have any chance of becoming strong and have the money in the future to develop successors to carry the torch forward into the future they really need to leverage the work done on the Giorgio as much as possible. The more they can leverage all the money building a great platform the more likely they are to spend money in the future to build newer better ones. The better the platforms the better financially FCA becomes the better the chance we’ll see cool stuff from them in the future.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Omg indeed, suddenly I dont like even Quattroporte lol
Well to their credit they did an excellent job keeping the brands discreet even though they shared so much underneath. This isn’t like the badge engineeering of GM of old where you couldn’t tell the cars apart without the grill and badges...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Dude! Those frame rail photos were awesome. Funny how the stamp and turret patterns can be so similar between a 2 door and 4 door unibody. The front rails, though, were uncanny!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Omg indeed, suddenly I dont like even Quattroporte lol
Well to their credit they did an excellent job keeping the brands discreet even though they shared so much underneath. This isn’t like the badge engineeering of GM of old where you couldn’t tell the cars apart without the grill and badges...
I am not complaining about badge engineering......but 300 is hardly a very nice car in any meaning of the word.....and that 3 times the price Quattroporte is so largely based on it......I really liked the Quattroportes of 10 years ago , from chassis to engines and quirks tottaly italian....knowing that current one is half 300 which is based on 25 year old E class dilutes it for me quite a bit....

I would of course hope that lots of stuff from FCA would be based on Giorgio and extended version of it.....cant wait to 20, 21 to see how Alfetta might turn out......Maserati for me will be out of the picture until new gen, probably another 5 years?

·
Registered
14 Posts
A 300/Charger/Challenger redesign/replacement is not in FCA's recent 5 year plan.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts