Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should have posted the below on this forum, not general. Added a bit to quotes from other posts.

Found a way to buy just July's issue. Here is the summary.

QV - Engine
QV - Exterior Looks
QV - driving Ergos / position.

M- Interior Quality
M - Feels smaller, more agile
M - better tranny

M edges out the win in his mind due to attention to minor details. Here are the two notable quotes on both sides of the fence.

"Holy s*** this is fast...it gets hissing above 3k rpm, and it not only is the fastest of the mini super saloons, but the one possessed with the most exciting power delivery. I can't think of another turbo motor that disguises it's false lungs better at high rpm. It's a magical feeling. And, er, very fast."

"Your eyes pore over the materials, and immediately conclude its cheaper than the m"

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hm.. this is quite interesting. Thankfully my main concerns are the engine and the driving ergos. The interior I can get over and/or change it later on. But the "holy **** this is fast"... I like to see that ;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I couldn't quite make out what Chris Harris said regarding the manual vs. automatic gearbox. I think he said that the car came alive with a manual box, but I couldn't quite tell for sure. Can anyone else figure out what he said?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I couldn't quite make out what Chris Harris said regarding the manual vs. automatic gearbox. I think he said that the car came alive with a manual box, but I couldn't quite tell for sure. Can anyone else figure out what he said?
"We are missing nothing in the UK by getting this, 'cause the Manual is a bit _____. This (Automatic) brings the car alive to me"

·
Registered
243 Posts
Incorrect. As of now manual gearbox is scrapped for both markets. Likely due to A. the reviews, B. the automatic ring time obliterated the manual box time. Could change in the future
Yeah quite possibly can be due to the dynamics, performance specs, and fuel efficiency. Seems like all the manuals were a prototype for research, but the automatic went far beyond their expectations - so now they know Auto will be the biggest sell point, manual can be a limited production (special edition)

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is getting real confusing... So whats @DaneARFOMtalking about ?
Originally manual transmission was to be an option in the U.S. not in Europe. After reviews in which editors weren't overly fond of the manual trans it was decided to produce only automatic at this point, Alfa's success in the U.S. hinges on the Giulia so it wouldn't surprise me if they paused it(manual trans) due to being less than "perfect". I'd love to see some 3 pedal cars state side, so I'm not going to be upset if I'm wrong. I was given the info by a FCA Alfa Romeo/Maserati product trainer. Area manager said all auto for now from what he's heard. They may be redesigning the manual trans a bit and releasing later on. (Redesign is purely speculative).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Originally manual transmission was to be an option in the U.S. not in Europe. After reviews in which editors weren't overly fond of the manual trans it was decided to produce only automatic at this point, Alfa's success in the U.S. hinges on the Giulia so it wouldn't surprise me if they paused it(manual trans) due to being less than "perfect". I'd love to see some 3 pedal cars state side, so I'm not going to be upset if I'm wrong. I was given the info by a FCA Alfa Romeo/Maserati product trainer. Area manager said all auto for now from what he's heard. They may be redesigning the manual trans a bit and releasing later on. (Redesign is purely speculative).
Yeah this seems consistent with what some reviewers that came out from the Sonoma event were saying. Automobile mag reports that:
"Most insiders expected the QV to launch stateside with a six-speed manual transmission, while an 8-speed paddle-shift automatic would be available in Europe. Nope — just the opposite. All U.S.-bound QVs will sport the eight-speed automatic, which is actually the quicker of the two transmissions"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.