Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations?

My front pads were demolished after 60 minutes of track time, I have decided to go with something a little more sturdy. Probably will never track the QV again, but still need something more robust.....

Hawk, Pagid, something else........

Looking for advice from actual experience as opposed to hypothetical theories......

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Any recommendations?

My front pads were demolished after 60 minutes of track time, I have decided to go with something a little more sturdy. Probably will never track the QV again, but still need something more robust.....

Hawk, Pagid, something else........

Looking for advice from actual experience as opposed to hypothetical theories......

Thanks!

If you drive the car to and from the track only definitely can go with a track pad otherwise the most aggressive street pad is the Hawk Street Race pad. I had them on my FRS along with a few other brands and while they are noisy they are perfectly fine.

If you want to test them out I can have a set ordered with mine (I need some too sooner rather than later).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ive watched your videos (spec boxster) and suspect you are similar level driver to myself and buddy Leong who have QV. If you look at the comments after his video I posted on your brake thread, you will see he comments on HP+ by Hawk. They are probably not the pad for you. We both like you came to the conclusion that we would never again track the QV. He has moved to Hawk Ceramic as a daily driver pad and loves that they arent too grabby and dont dust up (he drive alot in city traffic). He says tehy probably dont give the ultimate stopping power. Unfortunately they only come in Front sizes so you can still see his rear wheels get darker with dust way quicker than the fronts. For me I kept factory pads as I have the dark wheels but the dust still annoys me. I hear Ferodo do a DS2500 which would be a great start for fast road. Ive only used their DS1.11 as a track pad but i hear good things about their road pads too. I also use Endless on my 991.2 Carrera which is a track car. I use ME22 which is not going to be suitable on the road (squeal). I can recommend MX72 compound for the road as Ive used that on my 993. I am waiting for DS2500 set for front and rear for when i change, i think that will be fine for fast road. The factory pads are fine but wear quick and dust up fast. The steel brakes are fine on teh road , but the rotor width is small and the ventilation massively lacking for the front rotors so everything there is under thermal duress. The lack of front camber is a problem for tire wear and the Corsa are a bit of a cheater tyre i suspect to get the headline numbers. Michelin PS4S are probably a good alternative.

Reactions: BostonDMD

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After some thoughts and reading the above comments....... and considering that I won't track my QV anymore.......
I am going to have the stock brake fluid and pads replaced and just avoid putting her back thru the stress of a track day.....

Cheers!

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
boooooooo. I predict a rethink in a few months...well I hope for one
If I ever get a passenger seat in the specBoxster you can have a ride in that, totally different experience.......

Otherwise I am always willing to drive anyone else' Giulia for a couple of hot laps.....>:)

Reactions: kanundrum

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am considering taking performance driving school in QV, but two member here posted they will not be taking QV to the track any more. What is the main driver behind this decision?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am considering taking performance driving school in QV, but two member here posted they will not be taking QV to the track any more. What is the main driver behind this decision?
Short summary:

Stock brake system components (and to some extent tires) are inadequate for the combination of the engine power and the car weight. Quite a few forum members here have destroyed their brake pads (rotors, tires) in less than a day at the track.

This is my experience as well. I'm still planning to track my QV, not in stock form though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So just got back from a day at Sears Sonoma.....

Verdict is the EBC Blues kick ass for the fronts. No rear pads yet available so went stock and wear looks very good. Hoping for 4-5 days of track time at least since stock lasted 3 and Hawk HPS 3 but far inferior to stock. Place for Brakes is the place, ask for Luis.

Draw back is the car is so **** finicky with brake changes that you will likely need to go to the dealer to reset codes or get the work done. Ask if they are ok putting in aftermarket pads....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Verdict is the EBC Blues kick ass for the fronts.
Interesting. I tried the EBC Bluestuff and while they didn't overheat like the stock pads did (leaving material on the rotors) after one track day at Thunderhill, the EBC blue pads are more than 50% gone (although they did clean up the rotors).

I was thinking of trying the Hawk HP Plus but you noted that they're even worse?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you guys try the pagid pads? If yes which pads did you use? I am thinking of trying rsl 1 8005 which is the same as the lexus IS f? Did anyone try them?

·
Registered
17 Posts
New forum member here checking in.

For those of you that drive hard or do light tracking, I would definitely recommend the Ferodo DS2500 pads as an all-around pad. I also added titanium shims to reduce heat transfer to the calipers (see pics).

After proper bedding process, the Ferodo DS2500 plus the Ti shims with brake grease between the pad and shims are actually quieter than the stock pads.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
New forum member here checking in.

For those of you that drive hard or do light tracking, I would definitely recommend the Ferodo DS2500 pads as an all-around pad. I also added titanium shims to reduce heat transfer to the calipers (see pics).

After proper bedding process, the Ferodo DS2500 plus the Ti shims with brake grease between the pad and shims are actually quieter than the stock pads.

What about brake sensors ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have found CarboTech brake pads to be superior on my older Alfas (have used Hawk and Ferodo in the past). Very nice progressive feel/control, low dust, and good wear characteristics. They make many compounds from road to full race. Used by the Alfa team that runs (and wins sometimes) in the Lemons endurance races. They don't list Giulia on their website yet, but since Giulia uses Brembo brakes they may have a cross reference or custom build available. www.ctbrakes.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
What about brake sensors ?
I capped off the brake sensors and tied them behind the wheel well liner. IMO, those that are tracking or driving their car hard should not rely on wear sensors anyway and should visually inspect pad thickness.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,482 Posts
If I ever get around to tracking my Ti Q4 (someone bought me a session at M1 Concourse as a gift) I'm going to drive like I'm the pace car.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I capped off the brake sensors and tied them behind the wheel well liner. IMO, those that are tracking or driving their car hard should not rely on wear sensors anyway and should visually inspect pad thickness.

Do you get any lights ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.