Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me cast my experiences out there for the benefit of all on chicagoland Alfa dealers as I shopped for a Giulia Q4. I didn't visit them all, but I went to several, all ones with larger stocks. My priorities were to lease, lowest cost of that lease and a reasonable trade in for my old car. I also had certain required options and acceptable color/trim combos (doesnt everyone).

Autobahn Alfa Romeo Fiat : Evanston IL

Nice location, clean modern showrooms, decent stock levels. Happy to demonstrate the cars and pretty knowledgeable. Too successful, had no 2017 Q4s left at all, and their 2018s were all loaded up TIs in the 50K+ msrp range.

New City Alfa Romeo Fiat Maserati - Chicago IL

There's something more than a little 'off' about this place, and I don't mean I didn't get quite the deal I wanted or whatever, I mean this place has some serious basic issues functioning as a car dealership.
Let me explain, I made my way down from the loop on a friday lunch to take a look at their Alfa Giulias. I'd perused their stock online and had found a couple of good fits for color&options. Arrived and they have a lot with their stock in it, but it is fenced and chained up in the middle of the day, so I could only look through bars at the ranks of really dirty cars with rusted brake rotors lined up inside, rather than check them out. They have a lot of 2017 giulias but no 2018s at all, and they seem to have been just sitting. Something odd there.
Anyway while perusing their stock I was NOT intercepted or greeted by any salesperson, so went inside the showroom. Its an older building with a lot of cars rammed in to a tight space but devoid of customers. Like deserted. I was met by a guy apparently called Brother Booker and when I asked to see and test out a specific car he said 'the system' was down and they couldn't do anything, apparently not even unchain the lot. It might be a couple of days he added.
So there you have it, a car showroom that cannot show, demonstrate or sell cars! Explains the excess 2017 inventory I suppose, and will make an interesting two brand auto museum one day.
On my return from a wasted trip, read some google reviews and found the same thing happening to others, including those who called ahead for an appointment and made much longer trips. How bizarre. I expect this place will either close or change hands and improve greatly, it cant stay as it is.

Naperville Alfa Romeo Fiat Maserati - Naperville IL

Very smart suburban location with vast showroom, half maserati, half Alfa&Fiat. Plenty of stock and happy to demonstrate it, with friendly sales staff. Negotiations definitely take the classic 'ask my manager' form, with unseen hands evaluating your trade and coming up with the numbers for the deal. Whole process takes ages and for initial and subsequent rounds their numbers were mean, especially on the trade in, which could have been sold from their location (one owner low miles clean, clean title 2011 BMW). The time it all took was only enlivened by impromptu perusal of the 4C and Giulia QV on the floor, and all the Maseratis next door. We were too far apart to get into any final unpleasant session with 'the closer' (who I'm sure they have). They let me walk away.
A reminder of why car shopping is on a par with dental work for most people.

Bettenhausen Alfa Romeo Fiat Maserati - Tinley Park IL

Another suburban location with a newer showroom. Not such a vast palace of a showroom, everything more on normal scale but plenty of stock in a handy lot across the street. Has a more honest family owned feel to it. Very keen pricing online via autotrader or the alfaromeo site. Easily the best out there. My concern was these were based on combinations of rebate nobody could qualify for (a recent graduate, armed forces serving realtor with an AARP card). But no the prices were straight up and the deal was as specified on their site, no-negotiation best price up front.
Sales person was very friendly and explained that their policy is not just the fixed prices but one point of contact, he would do everything all down the line from demo to paperwork if we got to that. Happy to let me drive the car on my own, while taking the trade for an eval. Once we-reconvened he presented a fair price for it as they could sell on their pre-owned premium car lot down the street. Rather like carmax this price is good for something like 5 days, regardless of buying the new car. He ran through all the options on leasing and was able to adjust parameters right there onscreen. Everything was quick, scrupulously above board, and lined up with my research. Somehow a 2yr lease, even with nothing down but acquisition, first month and title fees was going to be a better deal than the 3yr I'd asked for. Leasing is a fair bit more complex than buying and I'd not done it before but slowly my caution melted away and I was comfortable everything was on the up and up, Sold.

So there we go, happy to get the ALfa I wanted, but the range of experiences was vast. I also realized just how little I care for the old games of car buying. In previous years I'd almost relish 'the hunt', these days its just too much work and I want the deal fairly nailed down before I even set out from home.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Let me cast my experiences out there for the benefit of all on chicagoland Alfa dealers as I shopped for a Giulia Q4. I didn't visit them all, but I went to several, all ones with larger stocks. My priorities were to lease, lowest cost of that lease and a reasonable trade in for my old car. I also had certain required options and acceptable color/trim combos (doesnt everyone).

Autobahn Alfa Romeo Fiat : Evanston IL

Nice location, clean modern showrooms, decent stock levels. Happy to demonstrate the cars and pretty knowledgeable. Too successful, had no 2017 Q4s left at all, and their 2018s were all loaded up TIs in the 50K+ msrp range.

New City Alfa Romeo Fiat Maserati - Chicago IL

There's something more than a little 'off' about this place, and I don't mean I didn't get quite the deal I wanted or whatever, I mean this place has some serious basic issues functioning as a car dealership.
Let me explain, I made my way down from the loop on a friday lunch to take a look at their Alfa Giulias. I'd perused their stock online and had found a couple of good fits for color&options. Arrived and they have a lot with their stock in it, but it is fenced and chained up in the middle of the day, so I could only look through bars at the ranks of really dirty cars with rusted brake rotors lined up inside, rather than check them out. They have a lot of 2017 giulias but no 2018s at all, and they seem to have been just sitting. Something odd there.
Anyway while perusing their stock I was NOT intercepted or greeted by any salesperson, so went inside the showroom. Its an older building with a lot of cars rammed in to a tight space but devoid of customers. Like deserted. I was met by a guy apparently called Brother Booker and when I asked to see and test out a specific car he said 'the system' was down and they couldn't do anything, apparently not even unchain the lot. It might be a couple of days he added.
So there you have it, a car showroom that cannot show, demonstrate or sell cars! Explains the excess 2017 inventory I suppose, and will make an interesting two brand auto museum one day.
On my return from a wasted trip, read some google reviews and found the same thing happening to others, including those who called ahead for an appointment and made much longer trips. How bizarre. I expect this place will either close or change hands and improve greatly, it cant stay as it is.

Naperville Alfa Romeo Fiat Maserati - Naperville IL

Very smart suburban location with vast showroom, half maserati, half Alfa&Fiat. Plenty of stock and happy to demonstrate it, with friendly sales staff. Negotiations definitely take the classic 'ask my manager' form, with unseen hands evaluating your trade and coming up with the numbers for the deal. Whole process takes ages and for initial and subsequent rounds their numbers were mean, especially on the trade in, which could have been sold from their location (one owner low miles clean, clean title 2011 BMW). The time it all took was only enlivened by impromptu perusal of the 4C and Giulia QV on the floor, and all the Maseratis next door. We were too far apart to get into any final unpleasant session with 'the closer' (who I'm sure they have). They let me walk away.
A reminder of why car shopping is on a par with dental work for most people.

Bettenhausen Alfa Romeo Fiat Maserati - Tinley Park IL

Another suburban location with a newer showroom. Not such a vast palace of a showroom, everything more on normal scale but plenty of stock in a handy lot across the street. Has a more honest family owned feel to it. Very keen pricing online via autotrader or the alfaromeo site. Easily the best out there. My concern was these were based on combinations of rebate nobody could qualify for (a recent graduate, armed forces serving realtor with an AARP card). But no the prices were straight up and the deal was as specified on their site, no-negotiation best price up front.
Sales person was very friendly and explained that their policy is not just the fixed prices but one point of contact, he would do everything all down the line from demo to paperwork if we got to that. Happy to let me drive the car on my own, while taking the trade for an eval. Once we-reconvened he presented a fair price for it as they could sell on their pre-owned premium car lot down the street. Rather like carmax this price is good for something like 5 days, regardless of buying the new car. He ran through all the options on leasing and was able to adjust parameters right there onscreen. Everything was quick, scrupulously above board, and lined up with my research. Somehow a 2yr lease, even with nothing down but acquisition, first month and title fees was going to be a better deal than the 3yr I'd asked for. Leasing is a fair bit more complex than buying and I'd not done it before but slowly my caution melted away and I was comfortable everything was on the up and up, Sold.

So there we go, happy to get the ALfa I wanted, but the range of experiences was vast. I also realized just how little I care for the old games of car buying. In previous years I'd almost relish 'the hunt', these days its just too much work and I want the deal fairly nailed down before I even set out from home.
Congrats! I too found my experience carried greatly depending on the dealer I was working with. I’m glad you ended up with the car you wanted!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.