·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Sweet. Murdered out with red calipers?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Nice!

Yup, Q2 LSD, active suspension and paddles. As saloons go, she's the best sedan I've ever driven.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Do you think that it would be correct to say that the Q2 and the Q4 would feel and handle and perform identically? If, the only difference is the weight of the transfer case, the prop shaft, and the front driveshafts, and that the Giulia drives as a rwd until slip is detected, it should. Now, I would assume that the awd ecu engages the fwd-awd before the esc kicks-in and cuts power (almost typed, closes the throttle!). So, that would mean that a Q4, up to the limit of rwd traction, performs like a rwd, then, the awd kicks-in and keeps the nannies away until a greater loss of traction is detected. I have test driven both the Q2 and Q4 back to back and in typical test driving with a sales rep on board, I feel no difference. As it has been stated here before, and I agree, it's a shame that Alfa choose to not include a switch to defeat the esc.
Alan, I too have an E46 330. Mine is an xi auto. I run snow tires all around in the winter and it has unbelievable traction in all conditions. Even with the esc off, it is almost impossible to get the wheel spin indicator lamp to illuminate.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
Congrats! Looks fantastic. Love it in black. Which black is it?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Carbon crest and grill covers would complete the look :cool:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Do you think that it would be correct to say that the Q2 and the Q4 would feel and handle and perform identically? If, the only difference is the weight of the transfer case, the prop shaft, and the front driveshafts, and that the Giulia drives as a rwd until slip is detected, it should. Now, I would assume that the awd ecu engages the fwd-awd before the esc kicks-in and cuts power (almost typed, closes the throttle!). So, that would mean that a Q4, up to the limit of rwd traction, performs like a rwd, then, the awd kicks-in and keeps the nannies away until a greater loss of traction is detected. I have test driven both the Q2 and Q4 back to back and in typical test driving with a sales rep on board, I feel no difference. As it has been stated here before, and I agree, it's a shame that Alfa choose to not include a switch to defeat the esc.
Alan, I too have an E46 330. Mine is an xi auto. I run snow tires all around in the winter and it has unbelievable traction in all conditions. Even with the esc off, it is almost impossible to get the wheel spin indicator lamp to illuminate.
The AWD sits higher with more ground clearance. I'd guess that the AWD has more weight on the front axle. Most your points mentioned are valid though. When push comes to shove, I bet they don't handle the same. In normal driving, the differences might not be noticeable.

·
Registered
658 Posts
When push comes to shove, I bet they don't handle the same. In normal driving, the differences might not be noticeable.
My experience on the test drive in the AWD was that I didn't like the feeling when it goes from push to pull as power is transferred to the front wheels. Even thoguh the RWD is slightly slower I decided I prefer how it feels especially near or at its limit. I also put on Michelin PS 4's which I think grip better.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,472 Posts
Even with the esc off, it is almost impossible to get the wheel spin indicator lamp to illuminate.
ESC traction control. That said, I'm interested in learning how to deactivate the Giulia's stability control without going through some dance move pedal sequence.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,472 Posts
Let's not forget, the Q4 accelerates more quickly than the Q2. What's not to love!
Up to what speed? At some point the extra weight has to catch up with it.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Up to what speed? At some point the extra weight has to catch up with it.
Motor Trend big test, June 2017 issue.
At 60 MPH Audi has a .1 second lead.
At 80 the Giulia is faster by .3 second
At 100 the Giulia is faster by 1.0 second
That was as fast as they published.
I would guess that at 120, 130, 140+, the spread would continue to increase in the Giulia's favor

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had no idea this thread was so active. Thank you for all the comments and compliments. I did not test drive the q4 as it was out of stock at my dealer. I'm also prefer RWD for fun cars, my last car was a MB with 4matic and I had mixed feelings about it. I'm at 300 miles on the Alfa after a week of ownership and still love it. Had paint protection film installed on the front end this weekend, hope to keep it looking sharp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts