Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 base model Giulia with 32K miles on it. A few days ago it threw a check engine light indication at me, along with one saying the stop/start function was disabled. Anyone ever see this before? Not sure how those two would be related but who knows? I made an appointment to have my dealer look at it this coming Wednesday.

Then today the CE light did not come on, and the stop/start is working again. Wondering if I should still bother taking it in?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I have a 2021 base model Giulia with 32K miles on it. A few days ago it threw a check engine light indication at me, along with one saying the stop/start function was disabled. Anyone ever see this before? Not sure how those two would be related but who knows? I made an appointment to have my dealer look at it this coming Wednesday.

Then today the CE light did not come on, and the stop/start is working again. Wondering if I should still bother taking it in?
Any time the CEL is on the start/stop disabled warning will come on.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

The ESS is disabled anytime the vehicles indicates there is a problem . It's a fail safe mode as the last thing anyone wants if for a vehicle to shut off if it may not restart...anyway, I would take the car in to document the issue..if the engine light was on, there will be a stored code.
it could be nothing but it could also be the beginning of something ..better to have it looked at and documented .

Alternatively, if you have your own scan tool, you could just scan it to see what's there and decide when if it's worth a trip to the dealer or not

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You Crosshairs. I don't have a diagnostic tool. However, driving home last night the CEL and ESS lights both came back on. Hopefully they will still be on when the service technician looks at the car on Wednesday.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It Happens when you filled up gas and did not close the cap properly. I find that even if you close properly for some reason the vacuum build up (correct me if wrong) pushes the cap. Most common check engine light after filling and driving hard.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As per the above posts this has happened to me on 3 separate occasions over a 5 year period (2017 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport/Perfor). The first time, about 2 years ago, I had a missfire but the CEL turned solid (no blinking) so I drove it to the dealer and I am not sure they did much of anything except a software update (under warranty). It fixed the problem only to have it happen again about 6 months ago. This time I had to have it towed because the misfire did not right itself and CEL was blinking. They replaced the spark plugs and one ignition coil (the other 3 checked OK) and it fixed the problem. But now 6 months later I got the misfire again with the blinking CEL and made an appointment for 12 days later. I waited a couple of hours and tried starting it again and this time the CEL was not blinking and misfire was gone. A few days later I started the car and everything cleared on its own and the car drove fine. However I did keep my appointment because sometimes the codes are saved even if lights are not on and they came back and said the code is showing a sometimes stuck actuator ($1700 repair) and a drive belt replacement. I made an appointment for June 2 to have the repairs done. So there seems to be multiple fixes for the same damn problem, which is just ridiculous. I can't believe Alfa has not fixed this problem in the last 4 years. I have 50,000 miles on it and I absolutely love this car but I cannot keep dealing with the same problem over and over again and throwing bunches of money after the same problem before I just give up sell it and get something else, and it kills me to say that, but it's reality...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts