Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I went to remote start my car forgetting my low fuel light was on. So it started and shut right off after that. After that all **** brakes loose, check engine light stays on, Start/Stop unavailable lift comes on and Service Engine light also.....?? Anyone experience this at all? Its also wont come out of "N" mode. Seems to be in some sort of sage mode. I have a video but it wint let me attach it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Just probably gremlins at play. Just re-fuel your car and try a couple of ignition on and off cycles with a full tank of gas and see if it goes away. Has your car's ECU been updated?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Has to be fuel, or the lack of it. When I filled up my tank at 1/4 full, it took 13 gallons. The tank holds 15.3 so that means at 1/4 tank, you only have 2.3 gallons of gas which isn't much really. If your low fuel light was on, you probably don't have enough fuel to start the car. Since there's no reserve at the bottom, I highly recommend not letting the gas gauge get below 1/8 of a tank before fueling. Alfa's roadside assistance may be able to bring some gas to you, or if you have AAA they can do that too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This morning I went to remote start my car forgetting my low fuel light was on. So it started and shut right off after that. After that all **** brakes loose, check engine light stays on, Start/Stop unavailable lift comes on and Service Engine light also.....?? Anyone experience this at all? Its also wont come out of "N" mode. Seems to be in some sort of sage mode. I have a video but it wint let me attach it.
magic number is 3, that is how many times you do ignition on/off to reset gremlin

·
Registered
226 Posts
From my experience this car does not like to run low on gas... My Ti Sport has been at 1/8 tank twice, and each time it starts to shift much less smoothly - kind of a stutter when going from idle or a slow roll to a higher speed. First time the fuel light changed from yellow to red, and the stuttering was sever. Second time I was still at the yellow warning stage and stutter was more mild. My takeaway is that when I hit 1/4 tank I refuel.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Interesting, and this could all be software related and not physically limited in the actual running of the engine. Like the 1/8, 1/4 fuel level flags the software to start disabling things. If it's hard coded then you need to work around it. I have not laid eyes on a manual yet since my car is in storage with no window sticker. ;) I wonder if there is anything in there. Fuel level, start stop is a known issue and should be covered in the updates. Or was that a refueling thing?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Possible that it had just enough fuel to start, but not to keep the engine running, thus the engine light came on.
Happend to me once, when i remained stuck in Germany in the black Forest, due to the fact that i didn't found a single open fuel station after 9PM with a credit car teller. After someone helped me out with 15 liters of fuel, car started immediately, but check engine light remained on, until i did a few restarts in standstill and all was perfect again.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Possible that it had just enough fuel to start, but not to keep the engine running, thus the engine light came on.
Happend to me once, when i remained stuck in Germany in the black Forest, due to the fact that i didn't found a single open fuel station after 9PM with a credit car teller. After someone helped me out with 15 liters of fuel, car started immediately, but check engine light remained on, until i did a few restarts in standstill and all was perfect again.
Wow that's classic! My first long trip in my 360 and the gas pump light came on at about 1/4 bars left. I stopped at a full service station and the guy gave me a couple bucks worth which got me to a station with card reader. But the poor fool cross threaded the aluminum cap. It still threads fine. I did not order an aluminum cap on my Quad ;) Nowadays you want to twist it till it clicks a couple times.

Reactions: Turbodelta

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE...Thanks for all the input. Luckily I was home when it happened. Went to the gas station filled it up, started and shut down a few times before my post and that didn't work either. Called the dealer and they had no clue. So I drove 60 miles to work thinking it was just being too sensitive like we all know they are. A guy I work with has a OBD2 meeter so we plugged it in and had a ERROR P164E. We cleared the error code and she is back to normal now!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yikes, I ran my car down below the 1/8 fuel level last Saturday. Once it hits 1/4, it sinks like a rock. And I was in the country and nowhere near a gas station.
I had no problems, though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same issue over the weekend but with over half a tank of gas. I looked at the battery which was at just 69% charged so I trickle charged it, tried the on/off three times and double checked the filler cap and hood latches with no luck so I dropped my car off at the dealership on Monday. They haven't gotten back to me yet with a prognosis. I was asked by the dealership if I accidentally touched the gas and brake and the same time when I pushed the start/stop button. I'm not sure why such an action would end in a "service engine" error but we'll see. The car ran fine, so the issue wasn't affecting performance. I was also told that any "service engine" light will result in a "stop start unavailable". While it's visiting the dealership I'm also having them look at the door panel buzzing when listening to the HK sound system. Interesting note though, the start/stop on the loaner is not working. It's a 11/16 build Q4 Giulia, it's kind of nice that I don't have to turn it off every time I get in the car. Hopefully I'll have an update shortly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
UPDATE...Thanks for all the input. Luckily I was home when it happened. Went to the gas station filled it up, started and shut down a few times before my post and that didn't work either. Called the dealer and they had no clue. So I drove 60 miles to work thinking it was just being too sensitive like we all know they are. A guy I work with has a OBD2 meeter so we plugged it in and had a ERROR P164E. We cleared the error code and she is back to normal now!!
I think Alfa needs to give all owners and "Alfa Box" a repackaged OBD2 meter that reads/deletes codes lol.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think Alfa needs to give all owners and "Alfa Box" a repackaged OBD2 meter that reads/deletes codes lol.
you dont need one, if it is glitch and not real problem error code clears after 3-rd car start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
check engine start stop not functioning

My 2018 Giulia turned on check engine randomly on the highway and ive tried putting fresh 91 gas turning on the car and off several trying to reset the car nothings workinig and i just now disconnected the battery and reconnected thinking it will turn off but it did not does anybody know what the problem is or have any of you had this issue??? could use the help thank you!

·
Registered
483 Posts
My 2018 Giulia turned on check engine randomly on the highway and ive tried putting fresh 91 gas turning on the car and off several trying to reset the car nothings workinig and i just now disconnected the battery and reconnected thinking it will turn off but it did not does anybody know what the problem is or have any of you had this issue??? could use the help thank you!

Try opening and closing the hood. I know it sounds dumb, but several people have found that start/stop is disabled if the hood is not latched properly. So power it down, open and close the hood, then start (ignite) ----> turn off three times, and see if the light goes away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, has Alfa Romeo identified a definite problem to cure this fault? I have had this issue on and off since I bought the car in August 2017(still under warranty).
The problem was initially intermittent and every time I took it to the dealer I was told the fault had to be on before they could do anything.
The initial fault code pointed to the accelerator actuator, and I have tried some of the suggestions in this thread without any success
The fault is on permanently at the moment and the car is at the dealership being investigated.
I don't have much confidence in the dealership (Arnold Clark), I am concerned that they will just reset ECU and charge me for investigating.
I have also unsuccessfully raised the issue with Alfa Romeo customer care.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Vendor
1,328 Posts
Hi, has Alfa Romeo identified a definite problem to cure this fault? I have had this issue on and off since I bought the car in August 2017(still under warranty).
The problem was initially intermittent and every time I took it to the dealer I was told the fault had to be on before they could do anything.
The initial fault code pointed to the accelerator actuator, and I have tried some of the suggestions in this thread without any success
The fault is on permanently at the moment and the car is at the dealership being investigated.
I don't have much confidence in the dealership (Arnold Clark), I am concerned that they will just reset ECU and charge me for investigating.
Hello wsagm05,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concern. Unfortunately due to the nature of our team we are unable to assist customers outside of the United States. You can, however, reach out to the UK customer care provided below for potential assistance:
00 800 2532 0000.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. Exactly the same. LEMON?

·
Registered
2 Posts
check good latch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts