Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia 2017 2.2 JTDM Super
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I changed to winter tires the other day. Went from original summer wheels 205/60 R16, to 225/50 R17.
The required tire pressure for the 17" tyres are lower than the required for the 16".
Both sets of wheels have TPMS sensors and the car reads the "correct" value from the tires.
However the car considers the new tire pressure to low.

From my understanding there is no manual method of initiating calibration or changing the wheel dimensions in the Giulia.
I'm curious if someone else have experienced this or have any idea for possible solutions.

I do have Multiecuscan with all the adapters and ELM327 connector if needed.

Appreciate any help and have a great weekend.

Regards
Alpeace

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am fairly sure you can't adjust the thresholds so you will have to set the winter tires to the same PSI as the summers or you will always have a low tire warning. I hope I am wrong because it would be nice to be able to set custom tire pressure thresholds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure hope you are wrong but from what I have found so far it seems like you are correct. Based on previous cars I have had, in my case a BMW 435i you could enter a "calibration/learning" mode where it reset the expected wheel pressure. I expected the same on this car, seems inherently bad to run the tires 0.5 bars higher then recommended.

·
Registered
877 Posts
what pressure are you using? at least R18 uses 2.2 bar at front, 2.4 bar at rear.

threshold adjustment is in RFHub node in MES - never tried though to adjust it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what pressure are you using? at least R18 uses 2.2 bar at front, 2.4 bar at rear.

threshold adjustment is in RFHub node in MES - never tried though to adjust it.
I'm running 2.3 front and 2.5 rear. The recommended for R17 is 2.2 front and 2.3 rear.
But on the old tires R16 (original) the recommended was 2.7 front and 2.9 rear.
So the threshold is adjustable in MES then, that will likely be my avenue then.
I'm bringing it to dealer in two weeks and might wait to see if they can do anything regarding it.
Otherwise I'll try the MES way. Do you have any guides that you know of?

Will changing the tresholds in RFHUB need proxy alignment or any other settings?

·
Registered
877 Posts
you do have car + MES with all adapters - so what stops you to try do it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you do have car + MES with all adapters - so what stops you to try do it?
Alright, curiosity got the better of me and I used MES and connected to the RFHUB, didn't need the adapter A5 as suggested.
Changed the front and rear tire reference pressure. After driving 200 meters the low pressure warnings disapeared.
Thanks for the push to do it.

Have a nice weekend and thanks for the help!

·
Registered
877 Posts
@Alpeace there is newer MES version with some fixes about wrong adapters required and couple more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah okay, I'm not sure if the software actually ask for it. I just looked at the website on the vehicles tab.
Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts