Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I saw where LOCKEM changed the fluid in his MY2018 with L.S.D.,
and the fluid was very dark. So, I thought... hmm, maybe that needs to be done.
(I have 11,000 miles.) I took it to my dealer, Scottdale Alfa Romeo, who I completely trust,
and have a very good relationship with their tech, Will. He told me, "Alfa Romeo doesn't list
the rear differential oil change as scheduled maintenance service." And, he pulled it up and
printed the information from the Witech, that I am going to take a picture of, and try to include
in the post.

He and I were both under the car when he opened the drain plug to the differential,
and sure enough, the fluid was black, and smelled just a tad bit on the burnt side, but not terrible.
Maybe the mystery oil from the factory smells like that? I don't know.

So, we filled it up with the recommended MOPAR stuff, which is stupidly expensive.
I didn't like the way the fluid that came out of the car looked, but according to MOPAR, the stuff
is supposed to stay in there unless there is an issue. Maybe the original differential fluid is
blended in the faraway hills of northern Italy by a sect of nuns, and blessed by the pope, and
it doesn't need to be changed. I would think this recommendation came from ZF the manufacturer.
As some of us know from experience, mechanical clutch packs wear,
and particles float around in the fluid, aren't reducing the amount of wear in the unit. Are they?

Maybe it's just me, and my old ways, but I don't like oil of any type looking black, after it originally came out of the can golden.
When I go back to the dealership for my next oil change, I am going to have the fluid changed
in the transfer case and the front differential... MOPAR, nuns, pope or not.

This is the printout...

·
Supporting Vendor
679 Posts
Like most "Lifetime Fill" lubricants they guarantee the fluid will last the lifetime of the part ;)

If your interest is in extending the lifetime of the part, you can and should change these fluids. My experience has been this fluid should be changed on a semi-regular basis, probably dependent on your driving style. I would recommend changing it every 1-2 years at the least.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,413 Posts
Like most "Lifetime Fill" lubricants they guarantee the fluid will last the lifetime of the part ;)

If your interest is in extending the lifetime of the part, you can and should change these fluids. My experience has been this fluid should be changed on a semi-regular basis, probably dependent on your driving style. I would recommend changing it every 1-2 years at the least.
As in the part will last until the fluid fails?
My manual says to change the fluid "as needed" and I see black oil as needing changing.

·
Registered
683 Posts
as in most cases "lifetime" for manufacturer means that it will last until warranty expires. after that they don't care if your gearbox or LSD will explode :D but they will gladly sell you new one with fresh oil inside :D

·
Registered
796 Posts
Same "lifetime" service for some coolants. As I recall, my GT3 had "lifetime" coolant. Whose lifetime?.

Oh, I change or have changed my '18 QV's engine oil at about half the scheduled interval. My dealer just did it with the Pennzoil Euro oil. I just had my wife's Jag Pace SUV's oil changed. The maintenance oil change is I think 18K miles, and no way I am running any oil that long. I chatted with the Jag service manager about my more frequent oil changes, and he too thought the factory interval was really long, but commented that they are not seeing cars coming in with oil related engine problems. I did an oil analysis at 68K on her Jag, and it came back looking just great.

By the way, for all of Jaguar's historic poor reliability, hers has been perfect since day one. Not a thing has ever gone wrong with her car. It has the supercharged 380 horsepower motor, too.

Heck, I remember when manufactures' maintenance requirements suggested changing the oil filer Every Other Oil Change! NV

·
Registered
437 Posts
I did this change a few weeks ago and what stood out to me was not the color of the fluid but the viscosity and amount of entrained clutch material. The fluid was more or less saturated with wear particles to the point where it was much thicker than the new gear oil.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I did this change a few weeks ago and what stood out to me was not the color of the fluid but the viscosity and amount of entrained clutch material. The fluid was more or less saturated with wear particles to the point where it was much thicker than the new gear oil.
QV or Ti?

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
597 Posts
I will be doing this today myself. Do you really have to take off rear undertray or anything? I have a Ti and can see the drain plug, not sure where the fill plug is.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I suppose I have always over-maintained my cars if you were to follow the "suggested" maintenance schedule.
fluids are the easiest thing to change and truly go a long way in preserving the life of the engine, transmission & coolant system. Oil every 3000k, coolant flush twice a year (change of seasons) when I do that I have the hoses/fittings/clamps checked, transmission fluid I do every 3-4 years.
the QV will be in for its "major" service aka Belts. will have the oil changed as well. coolant was done when they had to replace the radiator. Hopefully my new EBC Yellow pads will have arrived so that they can change those out as well.
I have a feeling this service is gonna make me wince a little! ;) :p

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
597 Posts
@MDriver Coolant flush twice a year is a bit excessive, but the rest I agree with. I would never let my oil stay to 10k, I change every 5k. I will do my transmission soon (just drain and refill) since I am nearing 50k on the car. Will be doing transfer case and front diff at same time. Only doing rear diff right now since I was able to get the oil from local dealer and it is easy to do quickly.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,413 Posts
The Ravenol oil bottle comes with a fill tube that makes getting the oil into the rear diff relatively easy.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
@MDriver Coolant flush twice a year is a bit excessive, but the rest I agree with. I would never let my oil stay to 10k, I change every 5k. I will do my transmission soon (just drain and refill) since I am nearing 50k on the car. Will be doing transfer case and front diff at same time. Only doing rear diff right now since I was able to get the oil from local dealer and it is easy to do quickly.
I know it is...part of my car OCD....LOL even my mechanic says so...
but I will say this. on my E36 M3..I would change the oil every 2500-3000k. so when I decided to turn it into a dedicated track car, I also decided to treat the motor to a Turner Motorsport Stage 3 engine upgrade. when the mechanic was in the engine replacing the cams, lifters etc. he snapped a picture of the guts....car had 122k on the odo when I did this....he said this is the benefit of doing the oil changes as I did...engine looked practically new.

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Alfa Rosso/Tan
131 Posts
So based on OP, are we really saying rear diff fluid should be changed every 11k miles? Sounds like car-enthusiast overkill to me. But I do agree that nothing is lifetime. So..what's an appropriate interval for this, 60k?

·
Registered
510 Posts
As with all oil, collect a sample, send it in to Blackstone to have it analyzed. You'll see if you have abnormal wear. This will ultimately tell you your oil change interval... swearing by a 5k or 10k interval is a good start, but every car and use is different and with an oil analysis, you can cater those changes to your needs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts