Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 minutes ago was in a turning lane and too late to stop or avoid it, a bowling ball sized rock is in the road directly in front of me.

It?s just big enough to not fit under the car and BOOM, it smashed the splitter and puts a giant hole in it.

This is on a major road (Rt 110 in Farmingdale NY).

Don?t know what other damage might have occurred underneath. This is going to be very expensive. Pic below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
oh dude sorry for that! Hope it's not done further damage... maybe insurance if it goes too high.. that's what it's there for as much as one hates to use it. That's entirely why I don't use my own cars for work, the amount of crap that's one the road today is amazing but you don't need telling that. Know the feeling after that muppet damaged mine, it's a horrible feeling!

Hope the repair doesn't take long and you're back to enjoying her.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Ugh, painful to just look at this....i know the road (stayed in Melville Marriot quite some times, we used to have manufacturing plant up there)...incredible that such a big rock finds itself on practically a highway....does the splitter actuation still function?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Ugh, painful to just look at this....i know the road (stayed in Melville Marriot quite some times, we used to have manufacturing plant up there)...incredible that such a big rock finds itself on practically a highway....does the splitter actuation still function?
Aye! I too work in Melville sometimes and the things you see dropped on the road/being pinged at the car. Last time I went there there was a random ladder on the LIE just in the road that fell off someones truck

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah looks very close to the paintwork! Did it hit the radiator too or is it curved like that?
I think it?s curved like that. I guess a full assessment wiill have to wait until it?s up on a lift. There?s a few scrapes and chunks out of the diffuser fins too as the rock pieces (the rock itself broke into several parts) bounced around underneath.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Oh Simey, that sucks! :( I am guessing insurance. With something in the road and not a collision, I hope they can go easy on your rate. This is why we have insurance. Or find a carbon guy that can maybe fix it. Cost may be the same or more. :(

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
Ouch. Very sorry. Likely concrete rather than a rock. States, counties, and municipalities should take better care of their roads. Or should Alfa908 be blamed?

·
Registered
473 Posts
If it is not too late you should go back and take a picture of the rock as proof to the insurance company. And ever better, place it in front of your car while you are taking the photograph to prove that it was the right size of rock to cause the damage.

I have been waiting for the first person to have a damaged splitter because I was curious how much a repair would cost. Please keep us informed with how much it cost to fix.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am very sorry. Not to take anything away from this, but hopefully to commiserate and bring a little humor- here is a true story involving only me and my - then- week old 335i. I had waited 20 years for my first bimmer, and finally ordered, tracked and received it. It was all I had hoped it would be. We lived in Durango at the time, and it was still very much winter when I got it home. The first weekend I washed it outside, but wanted it in the garage quickly to finish drying it. I got out my trusted leaf blower and started to blow dry the car when the nozzle on the tip launched off at what seemed like 200 mph and nose-dived right into the fender. It hit the crease above the wheel perfectly and left an impossible dent. This was on the driver's side so I could see it every time I got into my car. I went into -what I can only imagine looked like a demonic possession - and recited every horrible word I had ever heard --loudly. My wife called a priest, rabbi, and animal control to contain me. For whatever it's worth I'm ok now, but I still pee a little whenever I see an animal control truck.
Hang in there pal
Chris

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am very sorry. Not to take anything away from this, but hopefully to commiserate and bring a little humor- here is a true story involving only me and my - then- week old 335i. I had waited 20 years for my first bimmer, and finally ordered, tracked and received it. It was all I had hoped it would be. We lived in Durango at the time, and it was still very much winter when I got it home. The first weekend I washed it outside, but wanted it in the garage quickly to finish drying it. I got out my trusted leaf blower and started to blow dry the car when the nozzle on the tip launched off at what seemed like 200 mph and nose-dived right into the fender. It hit the crease above the wheel perfectly and left an impossible dent. This was on the driver's side so I could see it every time I got into my car. I went into -what I can only imagine looked like a demonic possession - and recited every horrible word I had ever heard --loudly. My wife called a priest, rabbi, and animal control to contain me. For whatever it's worth I'm ok now, but I still pee a little whenever I see an animal control truck.
Hang in there pal
Chris
Chris....thanks for making me laugh. Not the best day for me so far. Just had dental surgery as well. What?s my third crappy experience going to be today I wonder? They do come in threes so I?m told.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it is not too late you should go back and take a picture of the rock as proof to the insurance company. And ever better, place it in front of your car while you are taking the photograph to prove that it was the right size of rock to cause the damage.

I have been waiting for the first person to have a damaged splitter because I was curious how much a repair would cost. Please keep us informed with how much it cost to fix.
It was probably concrete as the thing semi disintegrated when I hit it. In my mirror I could see several pieces come flying up behind my car.

I will definitely keep everyone updated on the cost etc. Tring to figure out where to take it for an estimate. I imagine the replacement splitter will have to be ordered from the factory.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ouch. Very sorry. Likely concrete rather than a rock. States, counties, and municipalities should take better care of their roads. Or should Alfa908 be blamed?
Definitely concrete as it broke apart as it flew out from underneath. The SUV in front of me sailed over it no problem of course. I don?t think we can blame Alfa908 for this one...although he would probably blame the design and clearance height (which is actually why it happened I guess).

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh Simey, that sucks!
I am guessing insurance. With something in the road and not a collision, I hope they can go easy on your rate. This is why we have insurance. Or find a carbon guy that can maybe fix it. Cost may be the same or more.
Thanks John. This is going to be a replacement job...certainly can?t be fixed. The entire piece is cracked all the way through and splintered in several places. Looking underneath from the back, I think the diffuser almost acted like a skid plate and protected the exhaust and other components. It took some punishment but nothing severe as it?s just plastic.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
OK Simey. It's probably easiest. I've been spending time underneath my Miata for a couple weeks, painting the chassis. Almost done. Lots of rust to scrape off but it will help. I'm sick now and probably inhaled some kind of virus in the process. I need to figure out the set up to have a mask and goggles and not fog up or feel stifled while in a cool/hot garage and exerting yourself.

I wonder if the diffuser can be patched? It's just FRP plastic right? I wonder about making a diffuser for my Miata and need to remount the Togue Run spoiler as it got off kilter when I was applying pressure to the passenger side. I may do that tonight since I am too sick to go out. I had to come to work, but fun is another thing ;) This will be fun as it has been bothering me since day 1. I can think up a design for a diffuser too since I have been under there a lot. The shipping loops on the frame will make good mounting points.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,910 Posts
It was probably concrete as the thing semi disintegrated when I hit it. In my mirror I could see several pieces come flying up behind my car.

I will definitely keep everyone updated on the cost etc. Tring to figure out where to take it for an estimate. I imagine the replacement splitter will have to be ordered from the factory.
I don't think good concrete would break apart either. It sounds more like a dirt clod, as might fall off of the underside of a truck that is working in a muddy construction project. California has strict rules and large fines regarding this issue and requires construction sites to have shake devices that attempt to knock the dirt off of the underside of the trucks before they get on the highway. At some sites the contractor is required to hose down the truck undercarriage. If you can find such a site nearby you might be able to get the contractor to pay for the damages.

If there is no bodywork damage I would take it to my trusted AR dealer for repair. They will have the tools to test the actuators.

You might want to remove the splitter before driving, it has some potential to come apart and damage other things.

Didn't I see a QV diffuser for sale in the forums?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

I don't think good concrete would break apart either. It sounds more like a dirt clod, as might fall off of the underside of a truck that is working in a muddy construction project. California has strict rules and large fines regarding this issue and requires construction sites to have shake devices that attempt to knock the dirt off of the underside of the trucks before they get on the highway. At some sites the contractor is required to hose down the truck undercarriage. If you can find such a site nearby you might be able to get the contractor to pay for the damages.

If there is no bodywork damage I would take it to my trusted AR dealer for repair. They will have the tools to test the actuators.

You might want to remove the splitter before driving, it has some potential to come apart and damage other things.

Didn't I see a QV diffuser for sale in the forums?
Definitely was not mud of any kind. I don?t really care to analyze the composition but if you had heard and felt what I did when it hit you would understand.

Thanks for the suggestions...I?ve sent a note to the dealer service dept to discuss on Monday. Not sure I could remove the splitte rmyself...just going to hope it doesn?t come completely apart while driving.

There are plenty of construction sites around but can you imagine going to each one and asking if they can reimburse me because a chunk of something might have fallen off one of their trucks? I would be laughed off the site.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts