Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the stock carbon fiber side mirror covers on my QV is loose and pops open on one side. Any ideas on the best way to fix this? It was this way when I bought the car, but it’s getting worse. Don’t want it flying off one day while I’m driving.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is that really factory or Koshi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Vendor
2,175 Posts
I'd remove it and check the inner clip. Sounds like it clips in but that could be the side clicking in. OEM has tabs. Koshi is glued in. No glue that I can see so I am guessing OEM.

Really easy to remove. Use a plastic pry tool at bottom middle and pry off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just wasn’t sure if there was a previous owner that tried to use double-sided tape around some other areas and not glue there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are from the factory. Bought the car new. I’ll try removing it this weekend and see if I can figure out what the issue is. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Smells like something that should not but touched, but rather go directly back to the dealer for a warranty repair. For piece of mind some temporary packing or duct tape may be appropriate.

I bought a pair of the Mopar CF mirror covers, but they would not clip in (clips engage, then immediately release).

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have seen these off the car and they are both simple (if you know how) and complex( if you don't , to stop them falling off) .My guess is that someone in a carp ark (I left this typo deliberately as an example to all of IPad spell checker shortcomings) has given it a nudge. Try a bit of judicious gentle squeezing and twisting and see if it all just clicks back in. But if not seek expert advice because if you break the clips you will need adhesive and that will elliminate one of the main advantages of getting the OEM caps. (Having said that my previous broken caps stayed on OK for a few months as a temporary measure ,with one broken clip, and didn't dislodge like yours)

·
Supporting Vendor
595 Posts
What I would advise is to take it all the way off and make sure all the tabs are intact. I don't think you are going to break anything that isn't already broken, and it may just be that they have popped loose and need to be re-seated.

Removing these is simple but feels really wrong the first time, you basically pry until it pops. I will take a photo of the backside tomorrow so you can see where the tabs are that you have to push on to get them to release. Then it's just a matter of finessing them back on and getting all the tabs to click. Honestly it takes longer to type this than to do once you've done one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took off the side mirror cover and discovered the issue. The tabs on the cover are fine, the issue involves the tab attached to the mirror. The plastic tab is slightly bent so it doesn’t make good contact with the attaching tab on the cover. I carefully bent it up to make better contact and it holds a little bit better now. But I’m sure it’s just going to bend right back again. Not really sure how best to reinforce that piece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts