Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Longtime lurker around here, don't think I've ever posted but I've run into a pickle today.

I called up the local dealer (Fresno) to schedule the next scheduled maintenance and the recall I've been putting off only to find that dealer no longer services Alfa. I can't say I was surprised as it was definitely a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer first with Alfa and Fiat tacked on as an afterthought. The times I took mine in for service I would always walk over to the Alfa showroom to browse but I never saw a soul - customer, sales, or otherwise. I know the other closest dealer, Bakersfield, closed somewhere around 2018/2019 so while I had hoped this wouldn't happen, I can't say I'm surprised.

To be honest I was never happy with the Fresno service - like I said, the Alfa side was an afterthought. But, it was "close" at about a 45 minute drive. The fact that they only did service Monday through Friday, and never did loaners, still meant I had to take an entire day off work for even the most basic maintenance, but it was at least reasonably close.

Here's the issue: Now with the Fresno dealership closing, the closest options for me are to either drive just under three hours either south to Russell Westbrook in Van Nuys or north to Livermore. The advisor I spoke with today in Fresno was under the impression one of the dealers is offering a free tow to and from for service, but she also thought it was "Lancaster in the Bay Area", neither of which makes sense. In retrospect, I'm guessing she meant Livermore but I found out all of this fairly late today and haven't had the chance to verify.

Has any one else dealt with this issue? Specifically in the Valley (not like there's too many of us here), or just long distance service in general? One of the main reasons why I switched from a MINI to the Alfa was not wanting to be in this precise situation.

I have truly enjoyed my Giulia but this could be a deal breaker depending on if the tow deal is or is not real and what the specifics are with it. It also makes me question the long-term viability of Alfa as a brand in the US, as well as the practicality and value of the Giulia over the next five-ten years.

Picture below just for fun:

·
Registered
797 Posts
That sucks. Ironically I saw that the Fresno location was closed on my way up to Bass Lake over the 4th.

Is your car still under warranty, and if so, how many miles? That will determine where my two cents go.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,170 Posts
Starting from Bridgeport, Ca I go to Walnut Creek Alfa. It is a 3.5 hour drive at best and a 7 hour drive at worst. Scheduling a tow is a big problem, so I have a pickup truck and a flat bed trailer. I do regular maintenance myself now that my MY2018 Q4 sport is out of warranty, although anything that requires changing the programming requires a dealer. Fresno Alfa was theoretically a 2 hour drive in the summer, but I guess that option is out now. In the winter I may be better off going to Las Vegas.

Some folks have had success in getting Dodge dealerships to do SW updates and some maintenance. You can order Alfa parts at Mopar Parts departments, or online if you can figure out what part it is that you need (usually requires the part number). I will likely end up at the Carson City Dodge dealership at some point. It sure would be nice to see an Alfa dealer in CC or Reno, but they don't even have a BMW dealer so I am wishful but not hopeful.

Alfa Romeo USA does have "find a dealer". For my zip code it says "not found".

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just checked the Alfa Romeo USA website and they claim that both the San Jose and Santa Barbara locations are still operating. Can anyone verify this, and does anyone have an opinion on the competence of either of these two choices?

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
1,030 Posts
I just checked the Alfa Romeo USA website and they claim that both the San Jose and Santa Barbara locations are still operating. Can anyone verify this, and does anyone have an opinion on the competence of either of these two choices?
its “only” 2.5 hours to San Jose. The dealer here is doing an ok job, they service my QF.

·
Vendor
3,731 Posts
I use to drive 2 1/2 Hrs from Flagstaff to Phx to get my car serviced. So not unheard of. I show 2 1/2 hours to Stevens Creek Alfa. I'd go here.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Starting from my house in Santa Clara, Steven's Creek Alfa is a modest walk away. I take my car to Walnut Creek Alfa; there is too muuch negative feedback about Steven's Creek for me to even give them a try.

The huge gotcha with a long drive to a dealership is that if you rent a car you end up making the drive 4 times per visit. The longer the drive the more likely you will not get same day service. The alternative is to rent a room (if you can, the lock down makes this a problem), work remote (if you can) and hope they can get the work done in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
yup, here in the norcal bay area, we have the Stevens Creek Alfa/Maserati, and another in Burlingame. Further north we have one in Mill Valley little past golden gate bridge as well. I think there's another one in Berkeley area also.

@lockem I've only had one visit to SC Alfa and went pretty well. what were the negative feedbacks you experienced? thanks

·
Registered
797 Posts
Newport Beach and San Diego both have great feedback. San Diego has been around a while but Newport isn’t even one year old. I’ve been to Newport four times and have been very happy so far.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I’ve been to Newport four times and have been very happy so far.
Newport Beach is part of a dealer group with these brands: Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Lambo, McLaren...and Alfa. I suspect they have a higher standard of service, given their target audiences. I know they have a higher standard of sales: I ordered my Giulia through them and the process was smooth as buttah, whereas I couldn't seem to get other dealers to even call me back!

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
@lockem I've only had one visit to SC Alfa and went pretty well. what were the negative feedbacks you experienced? thanks
Yelp, plus one forum member posted negative feedback. Most negative feedback relates to communication. Stuff like nobody answering the phone and being told the work is done, but when arriving it is not done. That kind of stuff can be really bad if it is a long drive to get to the service center. I only remember one negative that was relative to the quality of the work.

The Steven's Creek Alfa/Maserati showroom is a "sideshow" to the giant Mercedes franchise (same owner) next door. It is typically difficult to see any Maserati or Alfa when you drive by.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is Desert Alfa Romeo in Victorville dead? I did a search online which sort of indicated they may be dead, or Fiat only, but it wasn't clear. Does anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yelp, plus one forum member posted negative feedback. Most negative feedback relates to communication. Stuff like nobody answering the phone and being told the work is done, but when arriving it is not done. That kind of stuff can be really bad if it is a long drive to get to the service center. I only remember one negative that was relative to the quality of the work.

The Steven's Creek Alfa/Maserati showroom is a "sideshow" to the giant Mercedes franchise (same owner) next door. It is typically difficult to see any Maserati or Alfa when you drive by.
Agree its a "tiny" area cramped in between 2 dealerships and looked like a side show of the mercedes dealer ( same owner ) . Sounds like their mechanics are okey, the executions and operations can use some improvements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, sorry about the delay in replies - but here we go. To give an update, Alfa Roadside Assistance is contracting a tow to Walnut Creek (SF Bay Area) on Tuesday, and will cover up to $50 rental expense, per day, while it is away. Tows to/from currently are covered if it's a show stopper, IE a check engine light, a mandatory recall, or something that legitimately prevents the car from being driven. Tows due to scheduled maintenance, however, will not be covered.

Is your car still under warranty, and if so, how many miles? That will determine where my two cents go.
It is, with roughly 26,000 miles on the car.

I use to drive 2 1/2 Hrs from Flagstaff to Phx to get my car serviced. So not unheard of.
I had the same problem with MINI - they were always 2.5 hours plus away from where I lived. Doable? Yes - but takes some planning for scheduled maintenance that isn't always feasable. That's part of why I changed brands to Alfa.

For now, I'm happy with what I've experienced. The interactions with Alfa Customer Care have been nothing but pleasant and they genuinely seemed sympathetic of having the local dealer close. Knowing now that they provide a rental credit for mandatory maintenance gives me some peace of mind as my worst fear was an unscheduled problem coming up and having to lose my vehicle for weeks with no re-reimbursement. For the time being, I expect to remain with the Giulia. I'd hate to have to replace it as it's been an absolute joy to drive and there's very few cars out there that I feel would fit my preferences and exactly how I felt moving from the MINI.

·
Registered
797 Posts
From your initial post you sound like you would still like to keep the car and we know you would take a beating on depreciation so let’s work under that premise.

You sound like you are ok for warranty repairs in terms of tows and rentals so all you have to worry about is two maintenance services (30,000 and 40,000) until your warranty is up.

I would start by going back to the same Dodge/Chrysler dealership and see if any of the techs from the Alfa side stayed on. I bet they have. Just make a point of getting their names (and technician number which they all have) and make sure they specifically service your car. If you have time to go to the actual Alfa dealership for those two services, even better, but Alfa would not question the work performed from a warranty side in terms of wanting to void it. The other option of course is DIY and save all receipts and document the date of services performed.

For post warranty work, contact the nearest Alfa Romeo Owner’s Club Chapters near you; Delta Sierra and Central California. I guarantee someone will know of an independent that will be in close proximity to you. Even better, if you get friendly enough with the tech at the Dodge/Chrysler dealership, they may moonlight on the side to work on your car.

Good Luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts