Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came across this thread on Facebook and wondered the experience of others. From the photos in this post and the centerline website, looks like the hangers are located differently between the x pipe and the stradale

Font Gas Audio equipment Cable Electrical wiring

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tagging @JoeCab to see if they have heard multiple reports of this

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Even on ones already installed?
no those would need to retrofit I would assume. Not sure who covers it. Idk. Too early to tell if it’s a one-off issue. Until everyone inspects it we wouldn’t know if it’s an issue on a few or all. Just speculation. I know that particular car owner. He texted me the pic and was concerned. Rightfully so.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no those would need to retrofit I would assume. Not sure who covers it. Idk. Too early to tell if it’s a one-off issue. Until everyone inspects it we wouldn’t know if it’s an issue on a few or all. Just speculation. I know that particular car owner. He texted me the pic and was concerned. Rightfully so.
Sadly I have no way of looking under my car but I was at fabspeed 3 months ago, and they didn't say anything about it, nor did I notice anything on casual glancing under the car; so at least as of then, I was ok, but I've put a few thousand hard miles on it since then 🤞🏻

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
972 Posts
I came across this thread on Facebook and wondered the experience of others. From the photos in this post and the centerline website, looks like the hangers are located differently between the x pipe and the stradale

I don't do Facebook, can someone describe what the issue is here?

·
Supporting Vendor
698 Posts
Tagging @JoeCab to see if they have heard multiple reports of this
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not on FB much if at all so I didn't see this.

Fortunately this issue is well known and only effected some of the first production runs of X-pipes (late 2017 or early 2018 production). We found that the hangers being welded parallel to the tube led to excess torque being transferred to the hanger and would cause cracks like the one shown. It was a problem on a small percentage of the systems but it was enough that we immediately investigated the cause.

Since then the hangers have been redesigned to wrap around the tubing - i.e. they are welded perpendicular to the pipe now and wrap over the top of it. I don't think the issue was whether the hangers are before or after the flex-pipe, rather the way the original design had the hangers welded to the pipe. We had Magnaflow do a failure analysis on one of the first x-pipes to have this issue and that was their conclusion. Since we made this change to the hangers we haven't had a single issue with several hundred systems sold.

If anyone has one of the early pipes and has cracks or failures they can contact us and we will replace it under warranty. I haven't seen a contact from the person with this issue but if/when they get in touch with us I will certainly let them know the resolution to the problem and warranty the pipe for them.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not on FB much if at all so I didn't see this.

Fortunately this issue is well known and only effected some of the first production runs of X-pipes (late 2017 or early 2018 production). We found that the hangers being welded parallel to the tube led to excess torque being transferred to the hanger and would cause cracks like the one shown. It was a problem on a small percentage of the systems but it was enough that we immediately investigated the cause.

Since then the hangers have been redesigned to wrap around the tubing - i.e. they are welded perpendicular to the pipe now and wrap over the top of it. I don't think the issue was whether the hangers are before or after the flex-pipe, rather the way the original design had the hangers welded to the pipe. We had Magnaflow do a failure analysis on one of the first x-pipes to have this issue and that was their conclusion. Since we made this change to the hangers we haven't had a single issue with several hundred systems sold.

If anyone has one of the early pipes and has cracks or failures they can contact us and we will replace it under warranty. I haven't seen a contact from the person with this issue but if/when they get in touch with us I will certainly let them know the resolution to the problem and warranty the pipe for them.
Thanks for the explanation Joe. That's reassuring.

Any chance you have a photo showing the hanger before and after the change?

I bought mine in November 2018 so it sounds like I have the updated design 😅

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I managed to find this photo from when I was at fabdpeed. The hangers look fine here

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that pipe looks smoked. Wow. It discolored that bad? What kind of metal is it? You drive in salty roads? Here’s a pic of my stock set up with straight pipes and they look a lot cleaner after 63,000 miles.
View attachment 112238
Idk the kind of metal, the centerline website doesn't say.

I drive it year round in NY, but it doesn't snow that much to make it look like that. I wonder what else it could be. I've only had it for 16k miles and 2.5 years

I never actually saw my x pipe; it came wrapped in a box that I took to the shop to have installed, so idk what it originally looked like. This was actually the first time I've ever seen it lol

·
Registered
424 Posts
Idk the kind of metal, the centerline website doesn't say.

I drive it year round in NY, but it doesn't snow that much to make it look like that. I wonder what else it could be. I've only had it for 16k miles and 2.5 years

I never actually saw my x pipe; it came wrapped in a box that I took to the shop to have installed, so idk what it originally looked like. This was actually the first time I've ever seen it lol
Looking at the picture above it seems to be a lot more silver metallic looking in that picture.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reactions: Slumdog

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just talked to Alfa9supply. They say they have an updated x pipe for sale with a shorter flex section and rear hanger placement. They sent a photo as well.

Good news if you want to buy the x pipe. This should allow engine to stay mobile on its engine mounts.
And this is still the centerline x pipe?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts