Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are pleased to announce our new Stradale exhaust system for the Giulia Quadrifoglio . As many of you know, we have been developing and testing this system for quite some time, and we feel we have achieved our goal of designing the ultimate performance exhaust system for the Giulia QV. The design brief was to really push what could be achieved with this vehicle, instead of simply copying the factory exhaust design with larger diameter tubing. Our experience with classic Alfa Romeo engines – specifically the fabulous sounding Giuseppe Busso-designed 2.5 and 3.0 Liter V6 engines – gave us some specific goals but also set the bar very high for this exhaust.

The Stradale system was jointly developed by Centerline International and Magnaflow. The Stradale features 100% stainless steel mandrel-bent construction with a full 3” (76mm) diameter, which is a 30% increase compared to the factory exhaust. A Magnaflow X-pipe replaces the stock front resonator, and the rear section features a transverse muffler with a full external bypass and quad 4” diameter tips in either stainless steel or optional carbon fiber. The rear section incorporates vacuum-activated (OEM style) valves on the bypass circuit. The production systems will be ceramic in a semi-gloss titanium color, which will look great and also help contain heat.

https://centerlinealfa.com/catalog/stradale-exhaust-giulia-quad-ss

Video Link: https://youtu.be/cwcOIoB6woE

With the valves closed, this system sounds deep and smooth. We definitely wanted it to be heard more than the OEM exhaust, yet still remain unobtrusive inside the car. With the valves open in Dynamic or Race modes, the system really comes alive with a loud, raw and snarling sound. We find this to be especially intoxicating in Dynamic mode, as the valve changeover event at 3,500 rpm is now very distinct and pronounced. With the bypass activated there are absolutely no mufflers or resonators in the system between the catalytic converters and the exhaust tips!

These systems will be released in a limited edition of just 25 units for 2018. Each system will be accompanied by a keychain and badge, both with the individual serial number of the system on them. These systems are priced at $2,995.00 with stainless steel tips and $3,795.00 with carbon fiber tips.

·
Supporting Vendor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Process...

In March of 2016, we began the design process for this exhaust. We took a beautiful black Giulia QV to the Magnaflow Technology Center in California, where I was fortunate enough to be allowed to play a hands-on role in the design and testing of this system. The Magnaflow facility is impressive; to me it represents the best possible mix of modern, high-tech equipment and passionate, skilled craftsmen with the specialized experience and know-how to create performance exhausts.

The first step of the design process was to evaluate and understand the OEM exhaust, and identify areas we felt could be improved upon and then define our goals for the new system. The OEM exhaust is well constructed, but can sound flat at certain engine speeds and has a considerable amount of raspiness when the valves are open. It also showed significant uneven heat discoloration in certain areas which indicated flow obstruction. We felt an exhaust with a deeper and smoother overall tone would both sound and flow better, as excessive raspiness is often an indicator of bad harmonics inside an exhaust system that can be harmful to flow.

With our goals identified, we tried multiple exhaust configurations, from stock to wild, and began narrowing down the design for the first round of prototypes. In total, we tested 7 complete prototypes over the following months before arriving at our final design. While many of these prototype designs sounded really good, we were looking for something more – the elusive “X-factor” that makes you fall in love with an exhaust - and kept refining the design until we found it.

·
Supporting Vendor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pre-Order

If anyone would like to pre-order one of these systems please give us a call or email. We estimate delivery of the systems in January. We will not charge you for the product until it is shipped.

We are offering FREE SHIPPING on all pre-ordered systems. This is a significant savings as these will ship in 2 large boxes.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This looks fantastic.
It appears there are no cats - perhaps just the pre-cats right after the turbos will remain.
Do you anticipate added horsepower with the increased flow, and if so, any ideas how much?
Can you feel any difference in the seat of your pants?

Thanks and Great Work!

Mike

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Those Quad 4 inch tips are simply breathtaking!!!!! It looks so intimidating looking at it from the rear! my goodness! if i has the Q i would have already ordered it!

But i have the TI so i have the regular Corsa exhaust instead.

·
Supporting Vendor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It appears there are no cats - perhaps just the pre-cats right after the turbos will remain.
This system, like the OEM exhaust, begins right after the large cats in the downpipes - i.e. it is a true "Cat-Back" system. Those are the only cats on the vehicle. The OEM exhaust does have a front resonator which is deleted on the Stradale system in favor of an X-pipe.

Do you anticipate added horsepower with the increased flow, and if so, any ideas how much?
Can you feel any difference in the seat of your pants?
I have an expected power gain based on calculations and driving impressions, but it would be irresponsible to speculate until we can get solid numbers for the system. I will say the the added flow should enable large power gains on modified cars as well, and that was a big part of the design considerations.

FYI the usual procedure is to dyno the car to get a baseline power reading at Magnaflow, and then re-dyno the prototype systems. However at the time we were developing this system their tech center had recently moved into a new location and the dyno was not operational yet.

Seat of the pants impressions during testing were that we all immediately noticed gains in throttle response and acceleration from a stop when we opened up the exhaust.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Great - thanks!
If I were to book a flight out to your facility, would it be possible to get a ride in the car to hear how it sounds?

·
Supporting Vendor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great - thanks!
If I were to book a flight out to your facility, would it be possible to get a ride in the car to hear how it sounds?
If you are willing to fly out, absolutely we can arrange a demo for you. Get in touch and we will make sure the scheduling works.

·
Supporting Vendor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love the design and sound of it! Sounds really deep throaty and amazing.

304ss ? Also how does the exhaust connect? VBands?
The muffler and the tips are 304, but the tubing is 409. The only real downside of 409 is cosmetic, however since we are having the entire system ceramic coated that is not an issue.

VBands are really cool, but we actually specified slip fit joints with for this system (as did Alfa with the OEM exhaust). It may seem old fashioned, but we feel this gives the installer more flexibility to adjust the system (both in angle and extension) that you just don't get with a Band or a flange.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The muffler and the tips are 304, but the tubing is 409. The only real downside of 409 is cosmetic, however since we are having the entire system ceramic coated that is not an issue.

VBands are really cool, but we actually specified slip fit joints with for this system (as did Alfa with the OEM exhaust). It may seem old fashioned, but we feel this gives the installer more flexibility to adjust the system (both in angle and extension) that you just don't get with a Band or a flange.
Bummer! I think there are a lot more benefits to 304SS and I personally would not want it ceramic coated! In either case sounds awesome!

·
Supporting Vendor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
any pics of the carbon tips?
I don't have any great photos, but here is a quick one.

They are nice CF tips with steel inner linings, which are important to prevent heat from discoloring the CF.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Given your naming convention with previous exhaust products, should we expect an even louder exhaust for the Q with the "Corsa" branding?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hello Centerline International.
I have a flight booked and will be landing in Denver January 3.
Would I be able to stop in to hear and see the Quadrifoglio exhaust
Perhaps around 3 PM on Thursday the 28th?

Thanks

Mike
[email protected]

·
Supporting Vendor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello Centerline International.
I have a flight booked and will be landing in Denver January 3.
Would I be able to stop in to hear and see the Quadrifoglio exhaust
Perhaps around 3 PM on Thursday the 28th?

Thanks

Mike
[email protected]
Mike,

Did you mean 3 PM on Thursday the 4th? That works for me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes I do - see you then.

Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
This was a fantastic visit to Centerline.
The Stradale exhaust tips look incredible and it sounds great!
Not too loud and no droning at highway speeds at all.

I strongly recommend it.

Thanks to Centerline for the ride, and the tour of all of your fantastic Alfa stuff - wow!!!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts