Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been leaving my phone in the forward cupholder under the climate control knobs. Not an ideal location for a number of reasons. I'd really like to install a semi-permanent phone mount (i.e. don't intend to move it around but not willing to drill / glue... two-sided tape or suction would be ok).

The dash is pretty small and I don't want to restrict middle forward visibility or have the mount be overwhelmingly visible / obtrusive to someone looking at the car from the outside. I was thinking of mounting to the windshield on the driver's side as close to the "A" pillar as possible and as low to the dash as possible. It would also be nice to be able to have a charging cable routed to the mount. But since most phones charge from the bottom this means increasing the height of the mount above the dashboard...

I'd love to hear any of your thoughts on this. I'm surprised I'm having this much of a struggle coming up with a good location for the phone, but an "ideal" place just isn't obvious to me.

Oh, and any recommendations on top tier phone mounts? I'm willing to spend some money for a high quality mounting solution. I have a Samsung Galaxy s6 but I think most car mounts are "universal" now to a certain extent, unlike a phone case, right?

Cheers!

·
Vendor
1,200 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try and get a photo later.
I appreciate the recommendation and the photo, that'll help me visualize things. Thanks very much!

If you are interested in a phone mount that has double sided tape and looks clean we offer these...
I love the materials and well finished look of the mount, but I'm sorry a magnet on the back of my phone doesn't appeal to me at all. Had one on my last phone and couldn't stand it. Personal preference. Thanks for the recommendation though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I appreciate the recommendation and the photo, that'll help me visualize things. Thanks very much!
Here you go. http://amzn.to/2r6x5gt

The A pillar is a good place as it doesn't obscure any view from the window. Also, the bendy tube that secures the phone has enough tension to keep the top of the phone against the A pillar so it doesn't vibrate. Quite a solid attachment and I'm happy with it for track days. The picture doesn't show depth so well, but it is far enough back to be out of the way of the steering wheel controls, closer to the air vent that the steering wheel.

I tried a magnetic mount first of all, but wasn't happy with it's strength. For fast driving, a physical attachement is better. Then I tried one with just side mounts, but it was less secure pressing the top of the phone against the A pillar. Third time lucky.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,748 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
i was putting mine in the cup holder too, ended up getting a g-cord cup holder mount for the time being. nice cause u can move it around a lot and easy for me to reach with my elbow on the armrest.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,748 Posts
I find I can do much of what I need via the screen while leaving my phone "holstered".

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use the Spigen Kuel 8201 mount and I have been loving it.

Here is the link.

The phone doesn't obstruct any controls and it kind of has a floating effect.

Attachments

Reactions: renzy

·
Registered
658 Posts
Mine wasn't supplied by madness but its a very similar idea. There is no magnet attached to the back of the phone unlike some similar options, just a thin steel disc so no additional danger to credit cards from your phone. The mount however has a fairly serious magnet in it so I'm not going to be using the phones compass while its stuck to the mount but a quick test had less effect than I expected. The only changing magnetic field is while your attaching or removing the phone. I'm using a short USB cable so I can plug the phone in, mainly for charging at the moment. Still hopeful we might see carlplay at some point, maybe.

Here a couple of photos of how I'm using the mount and cable to keep the phone below dash level with the absolute minimum of vent overlap and no car screen overlap. Both cup holder are available but as I mentioned in a different thread I have alternative cup holders I use. I have a small cable holder stuck to the vertical face of the dash in front of the cup holders but you can't see it from this angle It is an iPhone 5 though so larger phones are going to block more of the vent. Its at least another option.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine wasn't supplied by madness but its a very similar idea. There is no magnet attached to the back of the phone unlike some similar options, just a thin steel disc so no additional danger to credit cards from your phone. The mount however has a fairly serious magnet in it so I'm not going to be using the phones compass while its stuck to the mount but a quick test had less effect than I expected. The only changing magnetic field is while your attaching or removing the phone. I'm using a short USB cable so I can plug the phone in, mainly for charging at the moment. Still hopeful we might see carlplay at some point, maybe.

Here a couple of photos of how I'm using the mount and cable to keep the phone below dash level with the absolute minimum of vent overlap and no car screen overlap. Both cup holder are available but as I mentioned in a different thread I have alternative cup holders I use. I have a small cable holder stuck to the vertical face of the dash in front of the cup holders but you can't see it from this angle It is an iPhone 5 though so larger phones are going to block more of the vent. Its at least another option.

I may switch to this location in the future. I like the placement a lot.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i was putting mine in the cup holder too, ended up getting a g-cord cup holder mount for the time being. nice cause u can move it around a lot and easy for me to reach with my elbow on the armrest.

I have this one too, its by far the best in terms of the mount that cradles the phone. One handed removal of the phone is killer feature, I'm surprised all mounts aren't set up like this. The arm is a little long, but sturdy.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Whatever you do, don't attach a suction cup or taped mount to the dash screen. The glass is pretty weak and will crack if you bump the mount ever (or due to constantly vibration at the suction).

Don't ask me how I know.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.