Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have a 2017 Giulia base model and last Tuesday had a P0300 Random Misfire code pulled with my OBD reader. I have been browsing the forums and saw a few other people with the same issue but they were able to pull specific cylinder codes. Has anyone else had a the above code pulled? What was the result? This was during a cold start and i felt the car seat shake a bit then it stopped for about ten seconds, then continued and threw the CEL light at me.

I brought the car in on Friday morning (4/2) to the dealer for an oil change and diagnose the car but they still have not been able to get to the car. Yes, 5 days to perform an oil change and pull a code. Was also wondering if anyone has had issues with dealers taking multiple days to perform an oil change and to perform a diagnostic check on Alfa Romeos? i have had a full axle change on my old car and I had gotten it back within 48 hours so maybe i have been spoiled by other dealers in the past. I just moved to this state and this is the only Alfa dealer in the whole state to my knowledge, if anyone in the Atlanta Metro area has a good dealer/mechanic please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your time! (First post sorry if this is in the wrong forum!)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Hey everyone!

I have a 2017 Giulia base model and last Tuesday had a P0300 Random Misfire code pulled with my OBD reader. I have been browsing the forums and saw a few other people with the same issue but they were able to pull specific cylinder codes. Has anyone else had a the above code pulled? What was the result? This was during a cold start and i felt the car seat shake a bit then it stopped for about ten seconds, then continued and threw the CEL light at me.

I brought the car in on Friday morning (4/2) to the dealer for an oil change and diagnose the car but they still have not been able to get to the car. Yes, 5 days to perform an oil change and pull a code. Was also wondering if anyone has had issues with dealers taking multiple days to perform an oil change and to perform a diagnostic check on Alfa Romeos? i have had a full axle change on my old car and I had gotten it back within 48 hours so maybe i have been spoiled by other dealers in the past. I just moved to this state and this is the only Alfa dealer in the whole state to my knowledge, if anyone in the Atlanta Metro area has a good dealer/mechanic please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your time! (First post sorry if this is in the wrong forum!)
Can’t help with the code, but if you search the site you’ll find others have commented on Jim Ellis. Mixed reviews, but your bad experience is not the first. You’ll find the dealer network in general to be a mixed bag. And you’re correct, no other dealers in GA which is kind of mind boggling. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I've had the P0300 code two or three times. Some of those times, it came also with either P0301 or P0303. My conclusion, after 17 months driving the car, which performs perfectly all the time, is that there is not a problem, other than the time I took reading all kind of stuff about that. Same conclusion was reached by the two technicians, of a very good dealership, who diagnosed the car in two opportunities I brought it in for it. You need to be aware that the dealerships network is, in general, lacking capability and customer service. There are many bad ones and there are also many very good ones. I do not think reasonable to have the car 5 days at the dealership for an oil change (for me, it has been always max. 1hr, with an appointment) so, I would assume that your car is at one of those bad dealerships right now. Get the oil change, diagnose the error code (ask them to update the ECUs) and find another dealership next time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had the P0300 code two or three times. Some of those times, it came also with either P0301 or P0303. My conclusion, after 17 months driving the car, which performs perfectly all the time, is that there is not a problem, other than the time I took reading all kind of stuff about that. Same conclusion was reached by the two technicians, of a very good dealership, who diagnosed the car in two opportunities I brought it in for it. You need to be aware that the dealerships network is, in general, lacking capability and customer service. There are many bad ones and there are also many very good ones. I do not think reasonable to have the car 5 days at the dealership for an oil change (for me, it has been always max. 1hr, with an appointment) so, I would assume that your car is at one of those bad dealerships right now. Get the oil change, diagnose the error code (ask them to update the ECUs) and find another dealership next time.
Does the car, to this day, still throw a CEL? If so, does it need to be returned to the dealer every time to reset or has it gone off by itself? Just curious as i found out my warranty expires this week. Since my warranty is going to be expired and this is the only dealership in the state I will be looking for a local mechanic to perform any maintenance and repairs going forward. If the CEL issue continues to arise, i need to make sure the local mechanic will be able to reset it so i can bypass the dealer at all costs as this experience has been a nightmare to say the least.

As of right now I have had to escalate the issue to FCA and opened a case with them as my service advisor has not responded to my calls and i kind of need my car as it is a daily driver. (No loaner either on top of all this. I understand its up to the dealer for loaners.)

Thank you both Wingler and Giuliano for taking your time to reply!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Yes, my daily drive 2019 QV throws CELs like every other month, or so. Actually, this morning, in cold start, it threw one with an OBD2 error code P0363 (Misfire detected – fueling disabled). I just stopped/started the engine 4 times and the CEL went away, as usual. I had understood that I could not erase the error codes because my QV was built after mid 2018 but, I am able to erase the codes with my OBD2 tool, too. You go figure. I recommend that you ask the dealership to deeply diagnose what is happening in your engine and see if they find something, really. If they say that it is nothing, it would not surprise me and I would agree with that (others in the Forum don't), based on my current experience. Some technicians members of the Facebook Alfa Romeo Owners page (and members in this Forum, too) recommend an update in the ECUs and that may take care of these false alarms CELs (others in the Forum say that these are truly misfire CELs). It is appropriate to escalate the issue to FCA and open a case with them as your service advisor has not responded to your calls. That may help, in case of issues after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone have a good mechanic in the Atlanta Metro Area? Finally spoke with my advisor who told me they wont be able to pull the car in for an oil change/diagnostic check until Wednesday 4/14. Mind you this is after i spoke with another advisor who told me my car was going to be in the shop last night when i spoke with them. I am contemplating just picking my car up and going a non-warranty route as this dealer is citing a "backlog" in their service department. If its going to take 11 business days to perform an hours worth of work on my car (and i even provided the code!) then i dont think i want them touching my vehicle in general. So if anyone is in the area and has a guy/gal that has experience with Alfa then let me know and i will gladly get off this dealership route. Also waiting to hear back from FCA to see if they have any recommendations as well.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Anyone have a good mechanic in the Atlanta Metro Area? Finally spoke with my advisor who told me they wont be able to pull the car in for an oil change/diagnostic check until Wednesday 4/14. Mind you this is after i spoke with another advisor who told me my car was going to be in the shop last night when i spoke with them. I am contemplating just picking my car up and going a non-warranty route as this dealer is citing a "backlog" in their service department. If its going to take 11 business days to perform an hours worth of work on my car (and i even provided the code!) then i dont think i want them touching my vehicle in general. So if anyone is in the area and has a guy/gal that has experience with Alfa then let me know and i will gladly get off this dealership route. Also waiting to hear back from FCA to see if they have any recommendations as well.
I feel your pain, but finding an independent shop with the right knowledge and tools might be a real challenge.

·
Registered
507 Posts
This sucks.

Check your insurance policy for (MBI) which oftentimes includes a car rental.

I would suggest that you contact Alfa Cares again and request a flatbed to the next closest AR dealership. That is a reasonable request at this point, and assuming corporate shares this request with your dealership, you would most likely move closer to the front of the line. The other potential outcome is corporate will put you in a rental.

Good Luck

·
Registered
691 Posts
In the past year or so, I have read, I think in Car magazines, or on-line, that fewer and fewer people are choosing a career in automobile service. There are just easier professions to get a foothold in for a career. Plus, it can take a substantial investment in one's tools. I wouldn't be surprised if asked, many service managers would reply that they wish they could find and hire capable mechanics. It isn't like the old days, when it was primarily wrenches and OJT.

Probably only gong to get worse. NV

1 - 9 of 9 Posts