Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a Alfa story but I Thought I share

These stories remind me of a time I was riding my CBR900RR,probably 1998, stopped at a toll booth.
Thought I would air of 3 gears, didn't see the cop on the right.
So I redlined a few over bridge ( Vincent Thomas in port of L.A.) and let off, coming down the other side of the bridge I noticed lights behind me.
So I pulled over and waited.
With in a couple minutes 3 cop cars were all around me.
Cop bets out of his car all hyped out, I thought you were running ! he said, no just airing out the bike I say.
Do you know how fast you were going he asked ? No I said (150) I don't either ?
So there were 3 cops and myself pulled over and we started shooting the breeze.
They asked why I was so calm, just out for a ride I say.
Long story short he wrote me up for 95 and we parted ways.
It was an interesting day!

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Giulia Ti Sport Q4
137 Posts
Back in the early winter of 2001, out for a ride with my buddy in the East Bay, on 580 coming out of Livermore. Cursing along at close to 80, in the slow lane, getting passed by little old ladies with blue hair bombing along at 90mph in their land yachts.

I was on my Duc and my buddy was on his MV Augusta F4. At the time, there was only about 20 in the States. As a matter of fact, when he bought it, it was approved for off-road use only. He had to take to the DMV to register it for an inspection in order to get plates.

Anyway, on 580 and a CHP Motorcycle guy pulls us over. We pull over, turn bikes off, remove helmets and step away from the bikes. He asks the famous question of “do you know why I stopped you?” We answer “no, not really.” He replies with “you guys had been going a little fast.” He then tells us to “slow down a little” and then goes on to spend several minutes talking to my buddy about his MV. No tickets at least

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,057 Posts
Cursing along at close to 80, in the slow lane, getting passed by little old ladies with blue hair bombing along at 90mph in their land yachts.
If I had a dollar for every time that's happened to me...

·
Registered
904 Posts
He probably thought you were running as some states have a "do not pursue" policy for motorcycles due to the extreme risk of loss of life. Pennsylvania is one of those states. Local LEO can chase but state will not. As long as you know who is chasing you and know the local laws, you can safely run and they will disengage.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
He probably thought you were running as some states have a "do not pursue" policy for motorcycles due to the extreme risk of loss of life. Pennsylvania is one of those states. Local LEO can chase but state will not. As long as you know who is chasing you and know the local laws, you can safely run and they will disengage.
So no spike strips?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Well that would of been nice
Nice story. I have always managed to get away with it on my bikes. The one time I have ever been stopped I was driving a bloody van while moving home and I was doing 45mph in a 40mph zone.

Oh by the way, don't mean to be pedantic but it is would 'have' been nice, not would 'of'. Lately have and of seem to be used in the wrong places. I thought this was only a British thing but looks like it is across the pond as well. No offence. ;)

Reactions: AlfaGio58

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Oh by the way, don't mean to be pedantic but it is would 'have' been nice, not would 'of'. Lately have and of seem to be used in the wrong places. I thought this was only a British thing but looks like it is across the pond as well. No offence. ;)
Seems to be a misspelling based on poor pronunciation.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was another ride on my 900, glad I sold it but I replaced it with a R1 which is worse.
Going west on the 79 near Julian Ca. I was behind about 5-6 cars at which time I decided to pass.
No traffic coming the other way
I dropped it into 2nd pinned the throttle a few seconds later I passed and moved back then I notice the cop on the other side parked in the grass. Don’t recall what he wrote me up for ?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Gah, all this is giving me the itch to be on two wheels again. I've got an 80's CB1000 Custom (the one with the idiotic 10 speed gearbox) I've been meaning to fix up and get cruising, but I accidentally created more work for it when I kind of set it on fire a little bit when trying to get it started for the first time in many years. (Careful with starter fluid, kids.)

In a more related note, once I got blue-lighted while sitting at a red light in the middle of town. Turns out, the cop had been enjoying his midnight coffee on the side of the road a few miles back and saw me race a 'vette that had been making boasts his ~300 hp C4 couldn't keep. 80 in a 30, but a warning because he knew my dad. (Joys of growing up in a small town.) The cop called him up as he let me leave, when I got home, Mom gave me a good talking-to. Dad asked me if I won.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gah, all this is giving me the itch to be on two wheels again. I've got an 80's CB1000 Custom (the one with the idiotic 10 speed gearbox) I've been meaning to fix up and get cruising, but I accidentally created more work for it when I kind of set it on fire a little bit when trying to get it started for the first time in many years. (Careful with starter fluid, kids.)

In a more related note, once I got blue-lighted while sitting at a red light in the middle of town. Turns out, the cop had been enjoying his midnight coffee on the side of the road a few miles back and saw me race a 'vette that had been making boasts his ~300 hp C4 couldn't keep. 80 in a 30, but a warning because he knew my dad. (Joys of growing up in a small town.) The cop called him up as he let me leave, when I got home, Mom gave me a good talking-to. Dad asked me if I won.
10 speed trans ? Never heard of it !
I have 2 bikes in the garage (2002 R1 - 2003 Gsxr 750 both tricked out ) that I haven't ridden in a few years. Shoulder and wrist problems mainly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ha, reminds me of a time when I was riding my Aprilia Mille in San Francisco. Left a stop light on Oak Street and popped a wheelie, and when the front end came back down, I looked in the mirror to see a motorcycle cop lane splitting as he worked to catch up to me. He pulled along side of me and yelled, "cut that s*** out!" and then he kept on going.

And then there was the time when I merged onto a 55 mph highway here in Colorado in my QV, stepped on it, and when I passed a berm in the median, there he was: a state trooper staring right at me. I looked at the speedometer and I was going over 100 mph. Thankfully, he stayed put.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back in the early winter of 2001, out for a ride with my buddy in the East Bay, on 580 coming out of Livermore. Cursing along at close to 80, in the slow lane, getting passed by little old ladies with blue hair bombing along at 90mph in their land yachts.

I was on my Duc and my buddy was on his MV Augusta F4. At the time, there was only about 20 in the States. As a matter of fact, when he bought it, it was approved for off-road use only. He had to take to the DMV to register it for an inspection in order to get plates.

Anyway, on 580 and a CHP Motorcycle guy pulls us over. We pull over, turn bikes off, remove helmets and step away from the bikes. He asks the famous question of “do you know why I stopped you?” We answer “no, not really.” He replies with “you guys had been going a little fast.” He then tells us to “slow down a little” and then goes on to spend several minutes talking to my buddy about his MV. No tickets at least
MV F4 and you 748 Duc ! Great bikes I wanted them both !
I've got dozens of stories, one of the reasons I'm not riding now
Really miss it !

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha, reminds me of a time when I was riding my Aprilia Mille in San Francisco. Left a stop light on Oak Street and popped a wheelie, and when the front end came back down, I looked in the mirror to see a motorcycle cop lane splitting as he worked to catch up to me. He pulled along side of me and yelled, "cut that s*** out!" and then he kept on going.

And then there was the time when I merged onto a 55 mph highway here in Colorado in my QV, stepped on it, and when I passed a berm in the median, there he was: a state trooper staring right at me. I looked at the speedometer and I was going over 100 mph. Thankfully, he stayed put.
I bet you guys lost a few pounds in sweat :LOL:

There was a chip in the local mountains (LA) heard stories he write tickets to riders that had an accident
The rider is on the ground in pain and he's standing there writing !
He pulled me over once, I was doing about 80 on the straight part of Angeles Forest, one hand on the bar cruising.
No-one on the road, I see a bike at the bottom of the hill, a couple miles away
I thought it was just another rider and waved as I got closer on went the lights
Got me for speeding, exhaust, turn signals, license plate mount, race pegs ect.
He's still my favorite person :poop:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have been stopped on the bike dozen times and never ever got a ticket...i am fit and in helmet and gear probably look like a 20 something squid, attitude usually changed when I took helmet off, they dont expect crew cut and grey haired 55 year old on a superbike....almost always collected tons of compliments for my italian bikes, warning and occasional comment how those pipes sound great:) I think lots of cops are also secretly hooligans on bikes themselves.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts