Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While driving on the highway at about 70 mph, my tire was punctured by a large metallic scrap metal. The inside of my tire was completely slit open about 4 inches and the scrap metal is lodged in my tire. There is no rim damage at all. The tire instantly lost all air pressure and the lower tire pressure light came on on the dash almost immediately after I sensed the tire hit the object. I honestly only heard a thump and the car felt normal as I was driving. But after 20 seconds or so I started to feel the car sway a little in the rear as you would probably feel when the tire is low in air. I continued driving at about 60 miles per hour to my exit ramp and drove the car home at about 15 miles per hour the last mile or so. The reason I was driving so slow is because I was hearing the scrap metal clanking against the pavement with every tire rotation.

I've never had run flat tires, but oh boy am I a believer now. If this would of happened to me with regular tires, I am very confident that I would have lost control of the vehicle. These tires did not only keep me stable on the road, but also took me home safe. I am extremely impressed with how the tire handled such an extreme situation.

I've seen a few already switching tires for a performance or comfort gains but in all honesty guys, after what I experienced and how well the tire is designed, I will buy the exact same replacement. These tires are literally live savers. My safety as well as the safety of my occupants is of utmost importance vs any potential gains any other (non--flat) tires may provide.

I wanted to add that you are very safe driving in these tires. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
glad you're okay man!!

I personally think these tires are great. There is no situation i will ever be in that will even allow me to realize their limits. I hope.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
glad you're okay man!!

I personally think these tires are great. There is no situation i will ever be in that will even allow me to realize their limits. I hope.
Thanks bro. I never felt i was in danger and not in control of the vehicle while I was driving , It wasn't until later, seeing the damage to the tire and the size of the scrap metal that I assessed the severity of the situation. This is exactly what the tire was designed to do and oh wow am I thankful for that.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Years back I had Goodyear run flats on a Corvette. I changed lanes going from old pavement to a newly repaved one. After a short distance the low pressure for the right rear came on. I slowed to 50 mph as directed by the manual. On arriving at my destination about 15 miles on I parked, looked at the tire, and did not see much damage. When i got time I left work for a Goodyear dealer to have it replaced. Driving there I noticed a really loud banging noise which I had heard initially, but now was much louder. I thought these run flats sure are noisy when they deflate. At the tire dealer after they demounted the tire we discovered the source of the noise was a 7/16" open end wrench which was stuck between the inside of the tire and the rim. It kept swinging and banging the rim as the tire rotated. Tough tires.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
when our 2008 BmW came with run flats, I was quite bothered.
although nothing as dramatic as this has happened with this car, I'm pretty happy we have them.

my wife had a bolt through the tire and wheel on the freeway in her prior car, it was a very upsetting experience for her.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
X2, glad you're ok. Any body damage? Always some other prat damaging...

I honestly don't mind my eagle f1 runflats...great on the track too

·
Registered
420 Posts
X2, glad you're ok. Any body damage? Always some other prat damaging...

I honestly don't mind my eagle f1 runflats...great on the track too
The Eagles I had on the Corvette generated too much tire noise, whereas the tires on the Giulia are nice and quiet at cruise. I wonder how much of that is improved tires v improved soundproofing.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Could just be the difference in cars i'd guess. I had F1's on my FD RX7 (not run flats) and that's all I ever bought so was happy to see them on the Giulia :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
demounted the tire we discovered the source of the noise was a 7/16" open end wrench which was stuck between the inside of the tire and the rim. It kept swinging and banging the rim as the tire rotated. Tough tires.
You know what, the clanking i heard while driving in slow speed could be the metallic piece banging inside the rim and making noise.

X2, glad you're ok. Any body damage?
Thank you! No body damage or rim damage at all thank fully.

I was able to order the OEM replacement tire through tire rack for $300.00 plus $15.00 shipping. It will be delivered on Thursday of this week.

Question: The rest of my tires now have 3,500 miles on them. Would putting a brand new, zero miles tire, on the rear make a whole lot of difference with the handling or alignment?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Thank you! No body damage or rim damage at all thank fully.

Question: The rest of my tires now have 3,500 miles on them. Would putting a brand new, zero miles tire, on the rear make a whole lot of difference with the handling or alignment?
Good to hear! My experience has always been "no" especially with 3.5k. I got into a big argument with Ford with my SUV when they claimed I needed all 4 doing because of the AWD, ignored them and don't see any difference either

·
Registered
169 Posts
For us working stiffs with 30mph commutes (the occasional blast up to 70 mph until you hit the next traffic snag), rfts are something I've embraced. Sure they're a bit (or more than a bit) stiff but I've had two blowouts at highway speed on mine (Goodyear with one and Pirelli on the other), and got it home and to the shop without really missing a beat. Everytime I see someone seriously hurt, or worse, after pulling over on the shoulder of a highway, the rfts are just fine for me.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
agree, at that miles you won't notice.
they are pretty much like a regular tire in that respect - and you can plug them if you have a tread puncture, to avoid destroying an otherwise good tire, and later have it patched from the inside. Ok, don't cruise at sustained illegally high speeds with a plugged or patched tire blah blah for normal use they are fine, in my experience. I'm sure others will give you different opinions, as I got differing opinions from tire stores first time I had a "flat" with a run flat. In any event, if a patch/plug ever failed, the run flat feature is still in effect.

because the sidewall is where the strength is, they are easier to plug, if you carry a kit and cig lighter air compressor.

edit - this advice is meant for situations where you wake up in the morning and your warning light is on, you check your pressures, and find one tire is ten pounds low, etc

it does not apply if you drove with no air in your tire, as you would have likely damaged the sidewall, even if it isn't apparent.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
I have a question regarding the run flats. When you get a flat in a standard tire, you can change it and put on a spare or even a temporary spare until you have a chance to get to a service center.
If you get a flat in the run flat and it is late at night, or you are not near a service center, can you drive safely home (within the recommended distance of course) and then wait to drive it in for servicing the next day?
How long does it stay driveable if, for example, you got a nail in it? I see some comments above about plugging them. Are they more difficult or expensive (or impossible) to repair if you do get a flat?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts
If I buy snows that are not run-flats and do not have a spare, I guess that means I need to spring for a sealant/inflator kit and find a place to stow it.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
On the Continentals we have, I think you are good for 50 miles at 50mph - check your manual for what the Pirellis or ?? are good for.
If you did that, with zero pressure, the tire is trash.
You can get a small nail stuck in them, have a slow leak, keep it reasonably filled by going from station to station, and then have it repaired. the "trick" is how low did you let ot go, and for how long/how fast.

if you show up at a tire shop with no air in it but it "looks" good, they probably aren't going to fix it because they have no idea if its shot, but have to reasonably assume it is.

thats why a compressor in the trunk is a good idea, you can keep it from getting low, heck take it up to shipping specs 55psi and refill at 30, and you are good.

if it is repairable, the cost is the same.
you have a designated spot in the trunk for a spare, so one would be money well spent, even with run flats.
BMW's have a design defect haha - no where to put a spare unless you want to fill your trunk.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Thanks!

On the Continentals we have, I think you are good for 50 miles at 50mph - check your manual for what the Pirellis or ?? are good for.
thats why a compressor in the trunk is a good idea, you can keep it from getting low, heck take it up to shipping specs 55psi and refill at 30, and you are good.

if it is repairable, the cost is the same.
Thanks for the info! I have no experience with this type of tire, so I am a bit uncomfortable with them. This past year, my household has also had the most bizarre string of bad luck where we've had 4 flats on 3 different cars over a 9 month period. All from unrelated causes.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts
That's why a compressor in the trunk is a good idea, you can keep it from getting low, heck take it up to shipping specs 55psi and refill at 30, and you are good.
Are you sure a "trunk monkey" wouldn't be more useful? :grin2:

Seriously, now I just need to find a good spot for this little item:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I have a question regarding the run flats. When you get a flat in a standard tire, you can change it and put on a spare or even a temporary spare until you have a chance to get to a service center.
If you get a flat in the run flat and it is late at night, or you are not near a service center, can you drive safely home (within the recommended distance of course) and then wait to drive it in for servicing the next day?
How long does it stay driveable if, for example, you got a nail in it? I see some comments above about plugging them. Are they more difficult or expensive (or impossible) to repair if you do get a flat?
Run-flats are slowly destroyed if you drive on them with no air. Running with low air is less destructive, but in the long term similar. If you get to a shop that wil plug/patch or patch the run-flat and you haven't driven either over a couple of miles with no air or over a decent distance with low air, you can probably reuse the tire...if the leak is patchable. Be advised a patched run-flat (or any tire, for that matter) is no longer speed rated.

The run-flat works by supporting the car's weight on the sidewalls, which increases the heat buildup as the load increases (tire pressure decreases). This heat buildup cooks and destroys the tire over the 50-100 miles the run-flat is rated for, often causing the tread section to tear or shred. Some tire shops will no pet repair run-flats, and some are poorly equipped to deal with them, as the stiff sidewalls make demounting and mounting the tire difficult.

As others have noted, keeping a plug kit and a 12v inflator in the car is a cheap insurance policy. Plug your tire, if able, air it up and get it repaired, if repairable. The run-flat portion then only comes into its own in a case like the OP, tire destruction.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Picture of the object lodged in my tire. I haven't received my replacement P7 tire yet so I have not dismounted the wheel as of yet to take better pictures. I am intrigued to see how long it is.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts