Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I had a similar issue with a Subaru Impreza, and a trick I learnt was to add sound proofing gauze in the boot abound the silencer. It reduced the drone buy around 30% - not sure what the effect may be on a Veloce, mines stock.
Thanks Neil. I'm going to take my car to the local exhaust system guy who has been in the business for many years. I'll see what sound reducing ideas he has too.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Originally (2016, 2017, 2018) the Sport/Super/Veloce all had the same engine with the former having electronic power limiters in non-NAFTA markets. Today I think the engines are physically different.

The USA supposedly implemented a 0.1% BAC limit for drivers in 1967. This was later reduced to 0.08% (currently 0.05% for commercial drivers). Prior to BAC limits it was up to officer judgement to say if the person was impaired. Requiring 0% BAC for anyone is not sound practice as the test is imperfect (about 0.01% accuracy) and some ordinary non-fermented foods often contain a little ethanol, such as apples and apple juice. In California there is a very low BAC limit for drivers using a permit, but it is not 0.00%.

As much as I think we are "over governed" (and over taxed) there's no doubt that seatbelts, air bags and limits on alcohol consumption when driving have helped greatly reduced the road toll. Victoria has a population of 6M and the annual road toll is about 200. In the 70's we had far fewer drivers on the road and the road toll was well over 1,000 per annum.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,626 Posts
As much as I think we are "over governed" (and over taxed) there's no doubt that seatbelts, air bags and limits on alcohol consumption when driving have helped greatly reduced the road toll. Victoria has a population of 6M and the annual road toll is about 200. In the 70's we had far fewer drivers on the road and the road toll was well over 1,000 per annum.
I am all for anti-drunk driving laws but IMO seat belt wearing laws are anti-Darwinian. Also car equipment requirements fail to factor in the increased CO2 emissions and the toll that will take.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks Neil. I'm going to take my car to the local exhaust system guy who has been in the business for many years. I'll see what sound reducing ideas he has too.
Hi Ripper and welcome to the club.
Your best bet is Exhaust world in North Melbourne. They have a lot experience with Giulias/ Stelvios (including mine) and they are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Your best bet is Exhaust world in North Melbourne. They have a lot experience with Giulias/ Stelvios (including mine) and they are reasonably priced.
Thank you Stic. I will contact them this morning. Hopefully they are open on a Saturday. Really appreciate your advice here! Did you have the same / similar issue? Have a great weekend! John.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you Stic. I will contact them this morning. Hopefully they are open on a Saturday. Really appreciate your advice here! Did you have the same / similar issue? Have a great weekend! John.
Hey Stic just googled them and they are closed weekends! I checked out all the photos on their Instagram page and you’re right - they do all sorts of cars from modern to classics. Will go there Monday - thanks heaps!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'm somewhat surprised this thread wasn't referred to, as some of those commenting most certainly know about it. Some of the people commenting in this thread were actually in that thread. At any rate, I had this exact same issue with the Remus catback, and figured out the solution 3 years ago. First thing to try is the extension of the exhaust pipes out past the fake exhaust tips. I didn't discover that until I'd already put Damplifier mat in the trunk area, so the tip extensions may do the trick. If not, in my thread link below it shows where to put the Damplifier mat. No resonance at any rpm.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm somewhat surprised this thread wasn't referred to, as some of those commenting most certainly know about it. Some of the people commenting in this thread were actually in that thread. At any rate, I had this exact same issue with the Remus catback, and figured out the solution 3 years ago. First thing to try is the extension of the exhaust pipes out past the fake exhaust tips. I didn't discover that until I'd already put Damplifier mat in the trunk area, so the tip extensions may do the trick. If not, in my thread link below it shows where to put the Damplifier mat. No resonance at any rpm.

Thanks Eagle7. Great post. I appreciate the detailed explanation. I will do this.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey Stic just googled them and they are closed weekends! I checked out all the photos on their Instagram page and you’re right - they do all sorts of cars from modern to classics. Will go there Monday - thanks heaps!
I've done a lot of work with them over years, both on my two Giuliettas and also a Giulia Veloce.
Also they use to install exhausts for Giulias and Stelvios for Zagame back in 2017-2019.
They have lot of knowledge and experience, they always seem to find a solution.
Give them a go.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
@Ripper Yup it's the race catback with no muffler. I have the same exhaust. Extending the tips and placing some dampening material effectively reduce the drone in the cabin, but it will still be a very loud exhaust.
I think the easiest "fix" would be to get the different Remus axle-back section with the muffler. I might go that route once I grow old of the noise.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I've done a lot of work with them over years, both on my two Giuliettas and also a Giulia Veloce.
Also they use to install exhausts for Giulias and Stelvios for Zagame back in 2017-2019.
They have lot of knowledge and experience, they always seem to find a solution.
Give them a go.
I’ll be there on Monday morning. Thanks Stric.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
@Ripper Yup it's the race catback with no muffler. I have the same exhaust. Extending the tips and placing some dampening material effectively reduce the drone in the cabin, but it will still be a very loud exhaust.
I think the easiest "fix" would be to get the different Remus axle-back section with the muffler. I might go that route once I grow old of the noise.
Yes. I think I’ll need to make it less noisy inside and outside the car!

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I’m just going to suggest that you DO NOT LET THEM WELD ANYTHING TO YOUR EXISTING EXHAUST. don’t mess things so you can’t sell it to someone who will enjoy it. The tips WILL WORK just need to be long enough. If they will do it great! Good luck and

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hi Stric. I called into Exhaust World this morning and met Joe and Daniel. Great setup they have there and really nice guys. They filled me full of confidence that they can sort my car out. They really seem to know what they're doing. I checked out their Google reviews - there are many and they are certainly highly rated. My car goes in their on Wednesday morning. Thanks for the tip. John

·
Registered
496 Posts
In the alternative, you can have an exhaust shop weld some extenders onto the ends of the actual exhaust tips so that they extend further into the fake tips.

Additionally, you could add some of this to various areas under the trunk liner.
Yes, these tips would lead you in the right direction—You could also consider a Super Sprint Sport cat back exhaust with the Super Sprint tips (which look fantastic)—-This would eliminate any possible drone—-I have the “Race” Super Sprint and it had some drone but after I installed the tips all drone was gone…It is a bit loud on start-up but perfect after. The Sport exhaust should be perfect to really make your Giulia sound like an Alfa…

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hi Stric. I called into Exhaust World this morning and met Joe and Daniel. Great setup they have there and really nice guys. They filled me full of confidence that they can sort my car out. They really seem to know what they're doing. I checked out their Google reviews - there are many and they are certainly highly rated. My car goes in their on Wednesday morning. Thanks for the tip. John
Hi Stric. Daniel called me this morning to say that he could fit me in today rather than tomorrow. Job done. Car fixed. Love what they've done. Old system fitted back on minus the rear muffler. Sounds amazing and no drone inside the vehicle. Super happy. Great guys. Great business. Thanks for the tip. I owe you! (I now have a Remus system for sales - just posted it on Facebook Marketplace).

21 - 40 of 43 Posts