Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone. I'm new to the Giulia forum. I live in Melbourne and I have a Giulia Sport. Yes only the Sport but I still love it. Would loved to have bought a Veloce but couldn't as I have two young daughters on P (Probationary) licenses so the Veloce is banned - they not allowed to drive it on P's. Today I had the Remus CAT exhaust fitted to my car at our local Alfa dealer and now I'm regretting it as the exhaust system is a little too loud and I'm getting the dreaded droning noise in my car at certain speeds and revs. I'll persist a little longer but I think I'll end up going back to the stock exhaust or have to buy the sports exhaust - which is what I should have probably got in the first place. Anyway I love the Giulia - it's my 3rd Alfa and the first one I've really been happy with. The first two - a Brera and a GT - looked great but weren't that good to drive. I feel like Alfa have really nailed it this time.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well if done is your issue the simple solution is to get exhaust tips that extend a little past the rear diffuser. You can get them for $60 on eBay. You’ll have to take your fake tips off but that’s just three screws.
In the alternative, you can have an exhaust shop weld some extenders onto the ends of the actual exhaust tips so that they extend further into the fake tips.

Additionally, you could add some of this to various areas under the trunk liner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Everyone. I'm new to the Giulia forum. I live in Melbourne and I have a Giulia Sport. Yes only the Sport but I still love it. Would loved to have bought a Veloce but couldn't as I have two young daughters on P (Probationary) licenses so the Veloce is banned - they not allowed to drive it on P's. Today I had the Remus CAT exhaust fitted to my car at our local Alfa dealer and now I'm regretting it as the exhaust system is a little too loud and I'm getting the dreaded droning noise in my car at certain speeds and revs. I'll persist a little longer but I think I'll end up going back to the stock exhaust or have to buy the sports exhaust - which is what I should have probably got in the first place. Anyway I love the Giulia - it's my 3rd Alfa and the first one I've really been happy with. The first two - a Brera and a GT - looked great but weren't that good to drive. I feel like Alfa have really nailed it this time.

View attachment 126843
I had a similar issue with a Subaru Impreza, and a trick I learnt was to add sound proofing gauze in the boot abound the silencer. It reduced the drone buy around 30% - not sure what the effect may be on a Veloce, mines stock.

·
Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
1,078 Posts
Well if done is your issue the simple solution is to get exhaust tips that extend a little past the rear diffuser. You can get them for $60 on eBay. You’ll have to take your fake tips off but that’s just three screws.
Did that really work? That's so cool, I remember you posting about that.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,996 Posts
Also, first thing to check is if the new systm extends far enough into the faux exhaust tips. If not, it uses the area under the boot as a resonant chamber, thus creating the drone. So cheap option would be simple extensions. More expensive is what Rumi suggested. Both will result in a drop in drone.

Reactions: cqvd330

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't mess with aftermarket exhausts, they are just straight up annoying. One of my friends put an expensive one on his Lexus and it sounds like shit, constantly droning at any speed. His car is officially a ricer now in my eyes.

Just take the hit and remove it then resell.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll put that in my list of possible solutions.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can’t drive a certain type of car under a probationary license? Who determines what car is acceptable.
Melbourne is in the Australian State of Victoria. The state government of Victoria determine which cars P plate drivers can and cannot driver. If a P plate driver has an accident in a “banned vehicle” they are not insured. The Alfa Giulia Veloce and Quadrifoglio are both on the banned list.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't mess with aftermarket exhausts, they are just straight up annoying. One of my friends put an expensive one on his Lexus and it sounds like shit, constantly droning at any speed. His car is officially a ricer now in my eyes.

Just take the hit and remove it then resell.
Thanks Kevin. I think that is the most likely option at this stage but I’ll drive it for a few more days just to be sure.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the alternative, you can have an exhaust shop weld some extenders onto the ends of the actual exhaust tips so that they extend further into the fake tips.

Additionally, you could add some of this to various areas under the trunk liner.
Thanks for this suggestion too. I was surprised by how much noise comes in from the trunk area.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Melbourne is in the Australian State of Victoria. The state government of Victoria determine which cars P plate drivers can and cannot driver. If a P plate driver has an accident in a “banned vehicle” they are not insured. The Alfa Giulia Veloce and Quadrifoglio are both on the banned list.
Sounds like crazy. What’s the difference between a base Giulia and Veloce? Same engine isn’t it?

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like crazy. What’s the difference between a base Giulia and Veloce? Same engine isn’t it?
No. The Sport has 200 HP and the Veloce has 280 HP. They're both 2 Lt engines but the Veloce produces 80 more horse power with its higher boost turbo. The state of Victoria is known for its strict rules. We were the first city / state in the world to introduce the mandatory wearing of seat belts back in the 1960's. I think we were also the first place in the world to introduce alcohol limits when driving back in the 70's. It was .08 which was then reduced to .05. P Plate drivers have to observe a zero alcohol requirement or they lose their licenses instantly.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,617 Posts
Thanks for this suggestion too. I was surprised by how much noise comes in from the trunk area.
The plastic bin in the bottom of the trunk is a drum. Sound damping material on it will definitely reduce drone.

Try removing the trunk liner and Styrofoam insert, then adding damping material anyplace that resonates. The plastic bin is obvious, but there are a few other places that can benefit.

Outside of the USA the Super has 200HP while the Veloce has 280HP. If it were me the P licensers would get a "beater" car, but what do I know?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I should add . . . I have the Centerline Competizione exhaust. It has a resonator, but no mufflers. Initially, the read end pipes didn't extend into the exhaust tips. I had a muffler shop weld some extensions onto the end pipes and I added that dampening material to several areas under the trunk liner, and I can say that the drone is all but gone.

Reactions: WCL21

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The plastic bin in the bottom of the trunk is a drum. Sound damping material on it will definitely reduce drone.

Try removing the trunk liner and Styrofoam insert, then adding damping material anyplace that resonates. The plastic bin is obvious, but there are a few other places that can benefit.

Outside of the USA the Super has 200HP while the Veloce has 280HP. If it were me the P licensers would get a "beater" car, but what do I know?
Thanks - I'll have a close look in the trunk today. I'm sure that improved sound insulation in that area will help a lot.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I should add . . . I have the Centerline Competizione exhaust. It has a resonator, but no mufflers. Initially, the read end pipes didn't extend into the exhaust tips. I had a muffler shop weld some extensions onto the end pipes and I added that dampening material to several areas under the trunk liner, and I can say that the drone is all but gone.
That's great to hear. Thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,617 Posts
No. The Sport has 200 HP and the Veloce has 280 HP. They're both 2 Lt engines but the Veloce produces 80 more horse power with its higher boost turbo. The state of Victoria is known for its strict rules. We were the first city / state in the world to introduce the mandatory wearing of seat belts back in the 1960's. I think we were also the first place in the world to introduce alcohol limits when driving back in the 70's. It was .08 which was then reduced to .05. P Plate drivers have to observe a zero alcohol requirement or they lose their licenses instantly.
Originally (2016, 2017, 2018) the Sport/Super/Veloce all had the same engine with the former having electronic power limiters in non-NAFTA markets. Today I think the engines are physically different.

The USA supposedly implemented a 0.1% BAC limit for drivers in 1967. This was later reduced to 0.08% (currently 0.05% for commercial drivers). Prior to BAC limits it was up to officer judgement to say if the person was impaired. Requiring 0% BAC for anyone is not sound practice as the test is imperfect (about 0.01% accuracy) and some ordinary non-fermented foods often contain a little ethanol, such as apples and apple juice. In California there is a very low BAC limit for drivers using a permit, but it is not 0.00%.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts