Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
241 - 260 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I actually have the car at the shop right now to install GMS camber kit, ST springs, rigid collar and track brake pads as I plan to run fuji speed way in a couple of weeks. Are you saying -3.00 for daily driving will wear the tires too unequally to be practical?

Thanks for clarifying... I need to tell my guy to go for 2.00 or 3.00, as he was saying 3.00 was too little for track time...

-3.00 for DD is little bit too much however considering the Fuji it’s not enough if you are planning to run with the stock damper .
Due to heavy weight and soft damper, you’ll need more negative camber however it kills the stability when you are driving on the street.

There’s no universal set up as GMS says,
Track driving and DD, two words are antinomical therefore you’d be better choose one and take one according to your lifestyle 🚗

·
Registered
103 Posts
Why is that against the law
By compulsory Shaken (revision), and Japanese law, upper arms should not be replaced nor modified because there’s no certification of strength and can’t be registered as type code 95220 in Japan.

Alfaromeo Japan did registration of type code 95220 with stock upper arms and we will need to change it with certification of strength of modified upper arms which costs a lot …
JCI inspection - Shaken(車検)

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,093 Posts
By compulsory Shaken (revision), and Japanese law, it should not be replaced nor modified upper arms because there’s no certification of strength and can’t be registered as type code 95220 in Japan.

Alfaromeo Japan did registration of type code 95220 with stock upper arms and we will need to change it with certification of strength of modified upper arms which costs a lot …
JCI inspection - Shaken(車検)
That's very interesting and makes sense. Thank you

·
Registered
52 Posts
I actually have the car at the shop right now to install GMS camber kit, ST springs, rigid collar and track brake pads as I plan to run fuji speed way in a couple of weeks. Are you saying -3.00 for daily driving will wear the tires too unequally to be practical?

Thanks for clarifying... I need to tell my guy to go for 2.00 or 3.00, as he was saying 3.00 was too little for track time...
-3.00 for DD is little bit too much however considering the Fuji it’s not enough if you are planning to run with the stock damper .
Due to heavy weight and soft damper, you’ll need more negative camber however it kills the stability when you are driving on the street.

There’s no universal set up as GMS says,
Track driving and DD, two words are antinomical therefore you’d be better choose one and take one according to your lifestyle 🚗
Thanks makes sense. I think I'll go -2 to begin with...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello, have many people installed this kit on a Q4? If so is there anything to watch out for that's different?
Please see link with my full review for a Q4, post 154. It's an amazing kit, did approx. 4k km and very happy with it. Can't wait to install the summer tires.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Please see link with my full review for a Q4, post 154. It's an amazing kit, did approx. 4k km and very happy with it. Can't wait to install the summer tires.
Thanks!! Great write up!

Quick question though when you say you install the bushings in the 2 and 10 o clock position what is that relative to, the control arm when its install in the car or the line you are supposed to line up to the arm when pressing them in?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Thanks!! Great write up!

Quick question though when you say you install the bushings in the 2 and 10 o clock position what is that relative to, the control arm when its install in the car or the line you are supposed to line up to the arm when pressing them in?
Read the GMS install instructions, it gives you the orientation there.

·
Registered
4C
75 Posts
The line. Left control arm bushing set at 2'clock and right control arm bushing set at 10'o clock (viewed from back of the car), will split the amount of caster reduction. Perhaps it would be even better to install at 5 o'clock (left) and 7 o' clock (right). This would slightly raise the inner mounting point of control arm (instead of lowering it) and perhaps increase dynamic camber gain when suspension would compress, but I would need to see a front axle kinematics to comment that and I don't have a car available to check that. Either way, the camber reduction will be split.

By default, the bushing / uniball, is installed at 3'0 clock and 9 o'clock, which means maximum decreased caster (maximum lengthened control arm). See pic below.

Sports equipment Musical instrument Bowling equipment Bicycle part Ball

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks!! Great write up!

Thanks, buddy! Glad it is useful :)
Since i am not an expert, the best would be to follow @GMS recommendations. Also, our fellow forum member @GMcA is extremely knowledgeable.
What i can share is couple of pics, to have a ruff idea how the Q4 LCA will look.
First pic is just to highlight shape of LCA per each side (don't take into consideration the bushing angle, we had to reposition them at second take)
Second pic, the angle of bushing inside LCA.
Light Automotive tire Wheel Tire Wood

Joint Hand Arm Leg Grey

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,190 Posts
241 - 260 of 268 Posts