Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Cargo Space Usable?

12K views 30 replies 28 participants last post by  Chipshot 
#1 ·
From an owners view, is the trunk size of the Giulia actually practical or is it too small?

#5 ·
I haven't had an issue so far but don't understand why overall storage space is so limited in the Giulia. I'm coming from a 2010 Saab 9-3 which is actually a little smaller dimensionally but had much more room in the trunk including a full size spare. The glove box was easily 3x the size and console storage was a good bit larger too. I could understand in a Honda where materials are noticeably thin resulting in high road and wind noise but the Saab felt solid and was actually quieter than the Giulia.

#6 ·
It is almost identical in size to my Mazda Protege. Compared to the Protege the major difference is that the "floor plan" is nearly square, making it difficult to put long things in it. Reference the threads discussing loading golf clubs.

For my purposes so far it has worked fine.

#9 ·
For a sedan, I think there's plenty of cargo space in the Giulia. I've made some big grocery trips and other types of errands and never once ran out of room or wished there was more room. Plus, with the fold down rear seats, I've even hauled some large shelves from Costco and other hardware from various places. If it doesn't fit in the Giulia, odds are you're gonna need an SUV or a truck, not just a sedan with a slightly bigger trunk.

#12 ·
Previous car was a BMW E46 and the Giulia trunk feels like it holds a similar amount. Adequate is the word I would use. I do find myself making use of the fold down rear sear which is something my E46 didn’t have. The space under the trunk floor mat is disappointing to me but after looking under the Giulia is clear where it went. If 4 adults were going somewhere by air with luggage this wouldn’t be the car to take. But then would you really leave your Giulia in long term parking?

#16 · (Edited)
We leave Giulia at home in the garage when flying to Nihon and take the shuttle express to the airport. For most purposes the trunk is just fine for us. There's also the back seat, no passengers. You'd have to be nuts to park a Giulia in any public garage in the Seattle area.

I understand that the Giulia's don't sell very well in Sicily. Only room for two smaller bodies.

#19 ·
Last car was a Porsche Boxster S... So much more room than that car.. we even transported 300 lbs of garden soil in the Alfa.. with the seats down to distribute the weight.

#20 ·
The manual says maximum cargo weight of 150 pounds. I put 100 pounds of electrical wire in the trunk and found that Giulia really wanted to wag the rear end even with this relatively modest loading. I think that limit is more significant than the space.

#22 ·
My 56cm road bike fits in the back seat without folding them down. Needless to say, I pad the **** out of the seats and doors prior to careful insertion. Front wheel off of course. There are times I don't feel like using the Thule raceway rack, so nice to have an option.

I was amazed it fit!

#27 ·
coming from a Mercedes SLK 350 (6-speed manual) where I literally couldn't put a carwash bucket into the trunk w/o having to squish it down a bit, the Giulia trunk feels downright cavernous. Large enough (to me) that I really wish it came with the hooks for a cargo net so that stuff wouldn't slide around back there. That said, 99% of the time there's nothing in the trunk but my rock climbing shoes and a chalk bag. My wife has taken it grocery shopping once or twice and said it didn't feel much different than the cargo area in her GLK. Just harder to load since it's a trunk and not the back of an SUV.

#28 ·
Last saturday I stuffed 5 pieces of 5 gallon paint cans into the trunk, together with my winter road survival gear (snow shoes, jacket, sleeping bag, folding snow broom, folding snow shovel). Kind of overloaded which the suspension did not like, but it fit. Pretty much packed solid though.

#31 ·
Any car that can carry four of its tires mounted on wheels without putting one of them in the passenger seat seems adequate to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.