Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else looking into carbon fiber wrapping their interior trim?

I'm having a hard time justifying the cost for all the various bits that I'd want.

As far I know Koshi Group is the only one manufacturing these pieces right now. Rough prices below.

- Door Handle Trim ~ $480+
- Dashboard Insert Trim ~ $160+
- Center Console Switch Bank Trim Set ~ $450+
- Center Console Trim ~ $200

I'm aware SD Carbon has something, but the weave is different. Don't want to get into a debate about vendors, or prices, but rather discuss the pro's and con's of DIY carbon fiber wrap.

I've never done it before, but surely it can't be that hard right, lol.

Also have no idea how to remove the center console trim and sliding door. Hopefully thats not a massive project.

·
Registered
547 Posts

I'm having a hard time justifying the cost for all the various bits that I'd want.

As far I know Koshi Group is the only one manufacturing these pieces right now. Rough prices below.

I'm aware SD Carbon has something, but the weave is different. Don't want to get into a debate about vendors, or prices, but rather discuss the pro's and con's of DIY carbon fiber wrap.

Also have no idea how to remove the center console trim and sliding door. Hopefully thats not a massive project.
I have done the interior Shifter bezel, A/C Knobs and 4 door mirror switches, I also have the USB piece coming yet. Its easy to install they just fit right over existing stuff used some exterior silicone to apply. Purchased all my pieces from Madness and I have posted pics on other threads.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Here are some pics, I think it adds some contrast to the Aluminum accents. If I was limited to only getting one thing, hands down the Illuminated Carbon Fiber sill guards from Mopar. Those are outstanding looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done the interior Shifter bezel, A/C Knobs and 4 door mirror switches, I also have the USB piece coming yet. Its easy to install they just fit right over existing stuff used some exterior silicone to apply. Purchased all my pieces from Madness and I have posted pics on other threads.
I was thinking more of a DIY approach. Literally buying carbon fiber wrap paper, heat gun and all that. Hard for me to justify almost $1,000 on trim pieces.

My thought is pop the existing trim pieces out using trim removal tools, wrap them and pop them back in place. The goal would be to save hundred's of dollars doing so.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I was thinking more of a DIY approach. Literally buying carbon fiber wrap paper, heat gun and all that. Hard for me to justify almost $1,000 on trim pieces.

My thought is pop the existing trim pieces out using trim removal tools, wrap them and pop them back in place. The goal would be to save hundred's of dollars doing so.
Oh sorry I misunderstood your post. I know the wraps don't last as long and they have had issues with it bubbling and peeling up. I personally have never done it.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Caution if you have a Quad

This looks very interesting, however if you have a Quad, I think the aftermarket parts, if they are in direct contact with the factory Carbon fiber, may not look as appealing as the carbon pattern and finish are likely to be different....Such as the gate shifter....The door sill is a different deal....no adjacent carbon fiber there...also a Mopar piece so I would imagine it matches....D

·
Registered
321 Posts

did you try madness autoworks i believe they have too the parts you looking for and may offer a discount for larger parts order
good luck

·
Registered
167 Posts
This looks very interesting, however if you have a Quad, I think the aftermarket parts, if they are in direct contact with the factory Carbon fiber, may not look as appealing as the carbon pattern and finish are likely to be different....Such as the gate shifter....The door sill is a different deal....no adjacent carbon fiber there...also a Mopar piece so I would imagine it matches....D
Very good point. Already with the Koshi parts as fitted above you can see the weave direction of the HVAC control bezel and the shifter base in CF are opposite directions! If it were a QF with the CF cup holder door already in place the opposite weave direction of the HVAC bezel would look even more out of place. The door sill looks great. I like the koshi vent surrounds too and the door switch covers - they are all well away from other factory CF in the QV so less of an issue. I think I'll start with the Mpoar stuff like the door silk and the shifter handle insert...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
..I know the wraps don't last as long and they have had issues with it bubbling and peeling up.
Yeah that was my initial impression, but it seems they have come along way. I've also been researching some folks have done this using real carbon fiber fabric and finishing off with a pour-on epoxy resin.

Sal Scotto said:
did you try madness autoworks i believe they have too the parts you looking for and may offer a discount for larger parts order
Note both Madness and Alfa9Supply source their carbon fiber trim pieces from Koshi Group. The prices I quoted in my initial post were looking at both Madness and Alfa9Supply. I'm not sure how much wiggle room they would have there.

Alfaholico said:
This looks very interesting, however if you have a Quad, I think the aftermarket parts, if they are in direct contact with the factory Carbon fiber, may not look as appealing as the carbon pattern and finish are likely to be different..
Great point. The application here would be for a base or TI where carbon trim wasn't an option.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
Guess you could also use hydro dip ......
That looks a lot like the paint job on my CF bicycle frame.

Real high performance CF layup is almost always really ugly. It is typical for there to be a wasted layer for appearance or paint covering. I will bet for example that Giulia QVs CF hood looks terrible if you try to polish and clearcoat rather than paint it; otherwise AR would have offered such a finish.

My bike's wheels are clearcoated CF weave. I do not know if that weave is properly structural or if it is cosmetic. It is not easy to see that the painted frame is in fact painted even with the wheels next to the frame. I know the frame is painted because I have chipped the paint accidently. I know the wheels are not painted because one of them has a small defect in the clearcoat/epoxy finish, exposing the CF material.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Decided to go in a different direction. Will have an update by end of week (Friday-ish) and will create a new thread. :grin2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts