Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw the questions in another post on the cf door sills. After I found out they were illuminated thought I’d get a set. Driver side went in, in 10 mins. The passenger side well after a hour of searching couldn’t locate the wire for the connection. Remembered seeing this in a post looked it up and made contact with Lockem, he was a great help. I have to thank Alfatech, he was great as well. Sent me pics and I was able to complete it in 10 mins after that.

I’m posting this to help anyone thinking of doing this. Knowing what I do now I wouldn’t recommend doing it with out first knowing this. Here are some pics hope it helps you as much as it did me. Both sides are completely different. I love it now one of my best upgrades. The last pic shows a finished product. Thanks again guys for your help I might be still fighting it now with out your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I saw the questions in another post on the cf door sills. After I found out they were illuminated thought I’d get a set. Driver side went in, in 10 mins. The passenger side well after a hour of searching couldn’t locate the wire for the connection. Remembered seeing this in a post looked it up and made contact with Lockem, he was a great help. I have to thank Alfatech, he was great as well. Sent me pics and I was able to complete it in 10 mins after that.

I’m posting this to help anyone thinking of doing this. Knowing what I do now I wouldn’t recommend doing it with out first knowing this. Here are some pics hope it helps you as much as it did me. Both sides are completely different. I love it now one of my best upgrades. The last pic shows a finished product. Thanks again guys for your help I might be still fighting it now with out your help.
I was looking at this and the door lights. I was trying to figure out how they they are lighted so there are wires in there? I couldn’t really tell from the pics. What were the helpful pointers and challenges you found on the passenger side?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The driver side on the 3 I’ve seen now is right there pug and play. The passenger side seems to be wired in reverse that is the wiring harness runs in the opposite direction and the wires are completely separate of that harness. So that passenger side pic will show you where to locate it. With out it I had half the car apart tracing the harness back like the driver side was but it was running in the opposite direction. I can tell you this. These cars are very well insulated lol.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to tell you the door lights are a bear too. You have no lead wire to work with, you have to take off the door panels or be prepared to work though about a 1/2” opening.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
The driver side on the 3 I’ve seen now is right there pug and play. The passenger side seems to be wired in reverse that is the wiring harness runs in the opposite direction and the wires are completely separate of that harness. So that passenger side pic will show you where to locate it. With out it I had half the car apart tracing the harness back like the driver side was but it was running in the opposite direction. I can tell you this. These cars are very well insulated lol.

Okay. Great input on the labor and complexity. We are heading into our HOT months and it is really too late to do anything outside or in the garage that will take patience. This will be a fall project or I will check with the dealer to find out how many hours labor they charge. I can tell you when they put new rubber or weather guard around the door because it was falling off it took them a couple hours (I don't know if they were actually working on the car since I was in the waiting area and couldn't see) but they commented it wasn't as easy as it looked. I will check on their pricing. If it is a few extra hundred and they do it might be worth it. I have little hands and work with tedius stuff but I also don't want to screw things up.

·
Registered
537 Posts
@MINIME, it’s quite easy to do, the sill plates just pop off without tools (but a flat blade would help), I didn’t look at the drivers side but the pass side requires removing one torx t25 screw which holds the kick panel in place, once removed just peel back the carpet and feel around for the wire, the pics are blurry but you can see it is just ahead of where the sill plate screw goes in.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Forgot to tell you the door lights are a bear too. You have no lead wire to work with, you have to take off the door panels or be prepared to work though about a 1/2” opening.
Are you talking about the puddle lights? I was able to pop mine in an out several times very easily, on both sides. There isn't any slack in the wire, but you don't need it. If needed, you could just grab the plug with some needle nose pliers to connect it to the new light.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
@MINIME, it’s quite easy to do, the sill plates just pop off without tools (but a flat blade would help), I didn’t look at the drivers side but the pass side requires removing one torx t25 screw which holds the kick panel in place, once removed just peel back the carpet and feel around for the wire, the pics are blurry but you can see it is just ahead of where the sill plate screw goes in.
Where are the clips underneath to snap them off located?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Where are the clips underneath to snap them off located?
There’s one on each end for sure, that are white plastic so make sure they don’t fall off, there’s also a few that locate the plate in the middle, not sure how many. They do pop off fairly easily though, I used a steel trim tool, but a screwdriver works the same, or your hands can likely get the, off as well, just grab at the end and pull up, working your way to the other end.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There’s one on each end for sure, that are white plastic so make sure they don’t fall off, there’s also a few that locate the plate in the middle, not sure how many. They do pop off fairly easily though, I used a steel trim tool, but a screwdriver works the same, or your hands can likely get the, off as well, just grab at the end and pull up, working your way to the other end.

There are the 2 white clips described here one on each end and three push pins evenly spaced along the length.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

I can't zoom in can you put them in your garage so I can enlarge?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Thanks guys. After knowing now how flimsy the tow clips are that broke I am gun shy about "clips" and me breaking one. I didn't do the tow clips but I am thinking when I am in for service I might say Hey you mind showing me how these come off???:smile2: Then say oh no you don't have to put them back on I will do it.:surprise:

·
Registered
537 Posts
It’s easy, believe me. I break clips all the time...don’t get me started on Stelvio rear tailgate panel clips.....but these come off like nothing. Plus, you’re replacing them anyways, so even if you somehow damage them it’s no worry.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You need special tools to work on these interior trim pieces with these clips - Harbor Freight sells some inexpensive sets.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Thanks guys. After knowing now how flimsy the tow clips are that broke I am gun shy about "clips" and me breaking one. I didn't do the tow clips but I am thinking when I am in for service I might say Hey you mind showing me how these come off???:smile2: Then say oh no you don't have to put them back on I will do it.:surprise:
I simply grabbed the sill and yanked it out, working from one end of the cover to the other. It is not difficult to get a grip on the textured plastic. When you examine the replacement sill covers you can see where the clips are. IIRC the sills come with installation instructions as well. I do not recollect needing any tools at all.

EDIT: I did have one clip stay behind and require some convincing to get it out of the sill (there are 2 different types of clips on the covers, one is a metal spring and the other is a rubber plug; it is one of the rubber plugs that gave me trouble by pulling out of the sill cover rather than out of the sill). I wrote up my whole experience in the forums, but can't remember where. Posted roughly 2/21/18 is all I can find quickly.

Regarding your tow hook mount cover: I strongly suspect that the driver involved did not know how to remove it properly and he forced it. You push in on the correct spot and it should pop out. Doing anything else (especially using a screwdriver or trim removal tool) is likely to break it.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I simply grabbed the sill and yanked it out, working from one end of the cover to the other. It is not difficult to get a grip on the textured plastic. When you examine the replacement sill covers you can see where the clips are. IIRC the sills come with installation instructions as well. I do not recollect needing any tools at all.

EDIT: I did have one clip stay behind and require some convincing to get it out of the sill (there are 2 different types of clips on the covers, one is a metal spring and the other is a rubber plug; it is one of the rubber plugs that gave me trouble by pulling out of the sill cover rather than out of the sill). I wrote up my whole experience in the forums, but can't remember where. Posted roughly 2/21/18 is all I can find quickly.

Regarding your tow hook mount cover: I strongly suspect that the driver involved did not know how to remove it properly and he forced it. You push in on the correct spot and it should pop out. Doing anything else (especially using a screwdriver or trim removal tool) is likely to break it.
Thanks. I plan to order the slip plate today. I am just thinking. The old plate doesn’t go back on right? Oh and that tow cap. It is getting replaced today but the plastic on the inside of that broke too not just the cap. Someone totally used a screw driver or some object to rip it off and pretty darn rough. You can see the area they dug in and left their mark on the bumper itself. Once you mentioned a screw driver I went out and looked and I was like wow. Either no one at the dealership watched the QV get loaded and don’t give drivers instructions or the driver did it somewhere along the way. I did mention it to Jim at Strongsville and he said those QV’s should never be tied down. I said well they used the tow hook to tie it down so you know she had a bouncer ride. I did mention to him what you guys recommended. Just so some bozo doesn’t do the same thing, take all the tow hook covers off or tape them don’t with a big DO NOT REMOVE and then tell the buyer what to do on the other end. I still say fly and drive. Saves a lot of headaches and if we make it the 2300 miles without a hitch I will be losing a big bet and eating crow.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Minime,

Yes, the illuminated CF sill covers replace the aluminum ones together with the large plastic piece that actually does the covering. Note that in both cases there is a large plastic piece with the clips on the underside and an inset that is either CF or aluminum. The CF has the ALFA ROMEO script cut out so that the light from underneath can shine through.

Sorry about your tow hook mount cover, it sounds like the truck driver or his company owes you a new front fascia. The "normal" way to strap down a vehicle for transport is with straps that go over the tires. For long distance transport blocks are shoved into the suspension to prevent excessive bouncing and the tires are overinflated to prevent flat spotting.

Some vehicle yard operators just don't care as was proven when a storage yard operator used a fork lift to move my accident damaged pickup truck and destroyed the fuel tank and sender in the process.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just read this thread and was also wondering how to install them since I will probably be doing them myself. Thanks for the detailed information you provided to MINIME and MINIME if you end up doing this yourself, let me know how it goes. Didn’t know if this is something even worth having the dealership do or if it is just a waste of money to have them do it if is a fairly easy install.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I think they look very cool and definately something I am going to do this winter. Door sills will be first. I plan to have Bill Luke show me how to take the door sill off the next time I am in there. Steven is my service manager and is pretty nice. Someone already scratched the passenger side on the chrome version. I don’t think this will show scratches much or i will get some film and cut it to size.

I just can’t deal with this stuff until it cools off. My patience is not good on tooling around outdoors from now until October 1.

Personally I think this is the coolest looking add. My husband even said yeh, this is a must.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts