Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone opt'd for the CCM Brakes? Im hearing mixed things about the CCM. Some say its better to have and not need, than need and not have.. However Im also hearing those CCMs may be a hindrance for daily drivers, as those require some breaking in from a cold start before they perform as 'normal' brakes would.. Any thoughts? This will be used as a weekend driver, and maybe hit the track every now and again, probably not very often..

·
Registered
418 Posts
Has anyone opt'd for the CCM Brakes? Im hearing mixed things about the CCM. Some say its better to have and not need, than need and not have.. However Im also hearing those CCMs may be a hindrance for daily drivers, as those require some breaking in from a cold start before they perform as 'normal' brakes would.. Any thoughts? This will be used as a weekend driver, and maybe hit the track every now and again, probably not very often..
Carbon ceramics don't stop as well when cold. Warming them up consists of a couple good slow downs nothing overly time consuming, and as long as you are aware of this it should be a non-issue. If you plan on ordering versus purchasing one of the pre-specs still available this may pose an issue. For the time being (for some reason unknown to myself) Brembo CCM's are a required option in ordering and I believe that will be the case for the next several months. Someone on here likely has one with the CCM's, I'd check the picture thread and private message someone that has them (CCM rotors take up the entire wheel so they're pretty easy to spot. I'll look into the warming up process per Alfa.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly what I heard Dane... as far as stopping cold and the mandate being you must order it with those CCMs.. just seems like an unnecessary extra $$$. Hurts to hear this will be the case for the next several months.. waited so **** long for this car and now that its in reach, gotta keep waiting. Thanks for the reply! I'll see how long I can hold out before I buckle.

·
Supporting Vendor
706 Posts
IMHO the "different-ness" of the CCM brakes is somewhat overblown. In regular driving they seem fine when cold. I was a little surprised by just how normal they felt.

People have to remember that some high performance brake pad compounds for regular steel brakes also range from numb feeling to downright scary when cold as well.

I think for your intended usage the CCM brakes will be fine, but I don't like the idea that they are a mandatory option either.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Exactly what I heard Dane... as far as stopping cold and the mandate being you must order it with those CCMs.. just seems like an unnecessary extra $$$. Hurts to hear this will be the case for the next several months.. waited so **** long for this car and now that its in reach, gotta keep waiting. Thanks for the reply! I'll see how long I can hold out before I buckle.
I'm sure it has something to do with supply given how many of the first batch did not have CCM's. Not sure what extra costs will be associated on the service end, but if you you lease you'll only pay for part of them lol. I'll notify you when it's no longer required or when I have a better idea when it no longer will be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Preciate the responses Gents! That would be awesome Dane.. I only just found out about this forum, and what a wealth of knowledge I've found already. Oh and I dont plan to lease.. one of the main reasons I dont care about the resale value.. I hope to keep this car forever.. I just hope this option doesnt stay mandated for too long... I hear the Toyota Supra is almost up for production, and then I"ll be back to square one ; pitting this car against the M4/C63AMG (and this just in, Toyota Supra!) all over again.. Apologies for the blasphemy in advance :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
The Supra is going to be very different though! Going to be a smaller sportster thing but hopefully with a straight six 3.0 turbo! Hardtop thankfully ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@JoeCab

So you had a chance to actually test out the CCM on the Giulia QV or is that overall experience with other vehicles? Im inclined to agree they shouldnt be too different, but really isnt my area of expertise. Funny thing is most dealerships dont even have the model with the CCM brakes, but are mandating we opt for it in our purchase... It wouldnt seem so shady if they could actually provide a reason for this.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
One benefit of the ceramic brakes is that the rotors do not frag molten metal dust into the wheel finish. Slowing down from 140+mph with steel brakes is a recipe to damage the clear coat of any wheel. The ceramic brakes are a detailer's dream.

·
Supporting Vendor
706 Posts
@JoeCabSo you had a chance to actually test out the CCM on the Giulia QV or is that overall experience with other vehicles? Im inclined to agree they shouldnt be too different, but really isnt my area of expertise.
Our QV has the CCM brakes.

I haven't had a chance to put many miles on it, and obviously I am still being respectful of break-in conditions and not really driving it that hard, but as I said they really don't feel that different to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got CCM rotors on my Ferrari Challenge Stradale (owned since 2004) and I can tell you two things in comparision to my directly previous 360 Spider with steel brakes.

One, no brake dust on the wheels or body. My 360 Spider wheels and lower body were caked with black brake dust with any type of "spirited driving" and I'm not talking about days but within a couple of hours. I assume that dust is being created with CCM rotors but it is not the type of fine dust that clings to the wheels and lower body. When I wash the car I never see any dust on the wheels so I just skip them and wash the body, I'm talking over an entire summer.

Two, a good deal less unsprung weight. The car will track better on everything but a tabletop smooth road and of course they're lighter which improve acceleration, albeit probably only a small amount.

·
Registered
418 Posts
@JoeCab

So you had a chance to actually test out the CCM on the Giulia QV or is that overall experience with other vehicles? Im inclined to agree they shouldnt be too different, but really isnt my area of expertise. Funny thing is most dealerships dont even have the model with the CCM brakes, but are mandating we opt for it in our purchase... It wouldnt seem so shady if they could actually provide a reason for this.
They didn't have many of the CCM Brakes come in in time for the first batch, used up most supply of non CCM's and now have a CCM surplus and are mandating for a bit to let supplies even out. If they didn't put any sort of req. for CCM's and more non CCM's were ordered than they could supply we'd have sold orders essentially on "back order" not showing up in the time frame promised which could cause even more dissatisfaction, especially if you have a lease ending as many of my potential customers do. (New car woes). None of this is confirmed per the brand, but it is the only logical reason I can draw, Alfa wouldn't intentionally use it to hike up the price and **** people off when so much rides on this car.

I did drive both earlier this month, I think the non CCM's are more than capable, and the CCM's really only felt different when really standing on the brakes before turn in after a straight away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I was thinking the same... interesting stuff... the funny thing is I'll probably end up ordering the CCM brakes, once its not a mandate..

To quote Bill Burr, "you don't ask me if I want a cookie, I'll tell you want I want a cookie!"

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Alfa CCM brakes are also very low cost compared with the competition. The main drawback is rotor replacement cost more than any performance issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would agree with JoeCab , as I too feel the issue with cold stopping is overblown and his comment on aggressive pads used on many high performance model also needing a bit more effort is quite spot on. High metallic pads, which are used on many performance vehicles ( Vipers, Vette, Camaros, Stangs , Porsches, BMW, etc) that have models with steel rotors do take a bit more effort, but Joe is correct --- if someone had not mentioned it on here you would have just thought the brakes were fine, even if they may have felt a tiny bit different than one of your other vehicles.

·
Supporting Vendor
706 Posts
I've had a chance to put some more miles on the car and wanted to update everyone here:

I still feel the "poor feel when cold" is a non-issue. As I said before most people wouldn't notice if you didn't tell them.

After they are warmed up I've encountered a few situations where they felt really "grabby" when driving normally but it is certainly not all of the time. I don't know what causes that inconsistency.

When you are using them hard they are massively impressive. They have a very firm and linear feel and they just haul you down from pretty much any speed (that I've been brave enough to try). On the street I've probably not come anywhere near the limits of the system but they do inspire a lot of confidence.

They don't dust much, but the dust they do put out is very fine and a light tan color. This dust would be barely noticeable with silver wheels, but it's not bad with the gunmetal wheels as it's very easy to clean off.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've had a chance to put some more miles on the car and wanted to update everyone here:

I still feel the "poor feel when cold" is a non-issue. As I said before most people wouldn't notice if you didn't tell them.

After they are warmed up I've encountered a few situations where they felt really "grabby" when driving normally but it is certainly not all of the time. I don't know what causes that inconsistency.

When you are using them hard they are massively impressive. They have a very firm and linear feel and they just haul you down from pretty much any speed (that I've been brave enough to try). On the street I've probably not come anywhere near the limits of the system but they do inspire a lot of confidence.

They don't dust much, but the dust they do put out is very fine and a light tan color. This dust would be barely noticeable with silver wheels, but it's not bad with the gunmetal wheels as it's very easy to clean off.
I would say inconsistency is with the new brake module replacing the normal brake master cylinder. Its a hybrid unit (motor trend video) and it isn't as smooth as a normal unit. I suppose they went for it because of space and weight savings.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I placed my order for a Quadrifoglio over the weekend and was not told that ceramic brakes was a requirement. Hope they do not come back that now it is because I had to break every piggy bank in order to get one with the minimum required option. Oh yes I had to to splurge for the red tri-coat.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
never heard of CCM being required???
My car does not have CCM nor Sparco seats....It is Comp Red, has the teledine wheels, CF steering wheel, drivers assist etc.
the standard brakes are very very good....but as Kanundrum said the brake modulation takes some getting used to. In the cold even more so...once warmed up they are fine...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts