Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had a bit of free time today and I bolted up a Tecnico wheel to our Quadrifoglio with the CCM brakes. As many of you know Alfa Romeo will not allow a car to be specified with this combination in the USA, although they seem to be available together elsewhere. I wanted to take some measurement and see if there was a physical reason for this.

Long story short: I can't find any reason this combination won't work. They seem to fit with equal or better clearance than the 5-hole wheels that came on the car. I only measured the front; however there seems to be a lot more clearance at the rear so I can't imagine the issue being there.

Here are some measurements:

Clearance between spoke and caliper: 4mm with 5-hole wheel, slightly more than 10mm with the Tecnico wheels.

Clearance between caliper and inner barrel of the wheel: 3.5-4mm with the 5-hole wheel, 3.5-4mm with the Tecnico wheels.

So - can anyone find a reason this combination is not order able for the US market?

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If this is the case the fitment reasoning is irritable. I'll see what I can do.
Dane, any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I know there are some people waiting to order, but also others who might want to buy a set of Tecnicos for a nice lightweight track wheel option or just something different for the street. So if we can get to the bottom of this it would be great.

FYI I found some paperwork in the glovebox from the port of entry suggesting our car had a wheel swap before it was released, have you heard of that before? We got it with the dark 5-hole wheels and CCM brakes.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Dane, any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I know there are some people waiting to order, but also others who might want to buy a set of Tecnicos for a nice lightweight track wheel option or just something different for the street. So if we can get to the bottom of this it would be great.

FYI I found some paperwork in the glovebox from the port of entry suggesting our car had a wheel swap before it was released, have you heard of that before? We got it with the dark 5-hole wheels and CCM brakes.
Given info on the fitment and without any sort of info from the brand post this news the only conclusion I've been able to come to is strength of the wheel. The technico has significantly less contact area with the outer portion of the rim than the 5-hole. Given the increased rotor size I would assume an engineer said there was a .00001% chance of wheel failure in high temp climates under heavy braking and Alfa doesn't want to chance it. Just a guess though.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know its a long shot but wheel weights could hit the caliper maybe ?
That is a definite possibility, but as the clearance between the caliper and the inner barrel is essentially the same with the 2 styles of wheels it seems like solvable problem.

I think if you have a good wheel and tire shop and make them aware of this possibility they can make sure it's not an issue by finessing the location of the weights.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The issue with both wheel designs and PCCB is fundamentally the same. The pad sensor wire that sits behind the caliper is prone to fowling with a 3.5-4mm gap. Im unsure how AR are handling this. They have released a bulletin to secure the plug to the bracket that is attached to the back of the caliper. However, I have applied this fix to my car (steel brakes) myself and with such small clearances PCCB allow I can only suggest that the plastic protection shield on the the brake sensor wire will certainly touch the inside barrel of the wheel and wear over time given the instructions they provide. Loosing the brake sensor function is not a safety issue as such but the design of the senor wire routing location probably needs to be revised if it hasnt already for PCCB calipers...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
But the raw clearance is greater on the Technico, no? I think this was a classic case of up sell and bundling, exactly like what you get from the cable company. Pure and simple. I am torn now between a really aggressive, sporty look and performance from the Technico, with the superb, signature retro styling of the 5 hole. I want bright 5 hole wheels with colored center caps. Do we know if the bright wheel come with black and white or colored center caps? I've seen photos of both and it's not clear if the color set was only on Ti's which I saw in the brochure.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But the raw clearance is greater on the Technico, no? I think this was a classic case of up sell and bundling, exactly like what you get from the cable company. Pure and simple. I am torn now between a really aggressive, sporty look and performance from the Technico, with the superb, signature retro styling of the 5 hole. I want bright 5 hole wheels with colored center caps. Do we know if the bright wheel come with black and white or colored center caps? I've seen photos of both and it's not clear if the color set was only on Ti's which I saw in the brochure.
The clearance between the spokes and the caliper is greater with the Tecnico wheels, yes.

I have not seen any cars arrive from the factory with the colored center caps, although theoretically you can order them if you special order a car, but we have them in stock for about $20 each, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My bright technicos, delivered on Quad two weeks ago, have black and white center caps. Can't speak to bright 5 holes
I'll let you know when I get mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the dark forged Technico set up with CCB ( by custom order) with B&W center caps.

I also have the Titanium Stud set from Centreline and it finishes the wheels beautifully!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
From what I can find it appears that the Tecnico rims are around 4-5 pounds lighter than the 19" 5 holes that come on the 2.0T (one estimate said 10 pounds lighter, but I find that hard to believe). Does anybody have actual measurements? Might the QV 5 hole rims be lighter than the 2.0T 5 hole rims? 4 pounds of unsprung weight per wheel is significant. The OEM's published weight for the 19x8.5 Technico is 19.25 pounds.

Also it seems that the QV rims have a different offset than the 2.0T rims; that is the tire tread center is further inboard. Might this be to accommodate a different thickness brake hub or are there differences in the wheel wells (I know the rear wheel wells are different, but what about the front)? Maybe the 2.0T tires have more clearance on the inside than on the outside, so if fitting wider tires on a 2.0T the smaller offset of the QV rims will make things fit better?

19x8.5 Technicos on a 2.0T need 5mm spacers to line up the same as the 19" 5 hole rims that come with the 2.0T. It is not a lot of difference, but when you try to squeeze in a maximum size tire the offset needs to be precise.

Lastly 19x8.5 Technico rims as spare parts are apparently almost $1000 each, while 19x9 5 holes for the 2.0T are $500 each. Yet on a QV the "upgrade" to 5 hole rims is a $500 extra cost option. That is the point of my question regarding if the QV 5 hole rims are lighter (stronger material? better machining?) than the 2.0T 5 hole rims.

Centerline titanium stud set seems like a must have if you care at all about unsprung weight. Has anybody tried anodizing them to add a splash of color? Maybe the color would be too thin to stand up to wrenching?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
Here is some info on the Technico wheels

http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=1102&L=1

I believe the horseshoes are 12..? Kgs each. So 3 kg saving p/corner is significant for unsprung weight.
OK so far I have 4.75 pounds (guesstimate from Centerline), 6.6 pounds (from your numbers) and 8.75 pounds (from AR's parts catalog--this may be shipping weight for the 5 hole rims and/or include the TPMS) as the weight difference between the Tecnico and 5 hole rims. The weight difference is significant to huge.

It also seems that AR put the heaviest available tires on the Q4, so that wider Michelin tires are still 2 to 4 pounds lighter each, depending on the model.

Now if I can get 2 piece aluminum hat rotors for my Q4 (should be 2-3 pounds lighter per axle based on the parts available for BMW; hopefully parts for Giulia will eventually be available), and a titanium wheel stud set (saves about 0.5 pounds/axle) I'll get a total of 9.25 to 15 pounds of unsprung weight reduction per axle. OK, its around $8,000 in parts <sigh>, but it should make a day-and-night difference in the on-road behavior of the car.

I believe QV already comes with aluminum hat rotors and lighter tires, so don't expect to be able to make so much improvement with your QV; just be aware that the 5 holes add significantly to the unsprung weight.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts