Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Car Randomly Turns on?

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  John_K_348 
#1 ·
Has anyone had this issue? Turn off the car (with bluetooth on the phone still connected)

Leave the car, walk away and the turn radio turns on because its searching for bluetooth still connected when you are a certain amount of feet away and then just stays on like Accessory mode is on?

So far it has happened to us 2 times with the 1st time in a parking lot at dinner, we walked a few hundred feet away and someone came in the rest saying someones car was on (it was us) but when it walked away it was 100% off and dark.

Odd....

#3 · (Edited)
Your title is a bit misleading. The car doesn't turn on, the radio does. Big difference. And it isn't exactly random if if you know the conditions under which it happens.

To me, "Car randomly turns on" would mean your Giulia might start at midnight in your driveway, which is why I was a bit alarmed when I saw the post.

#4 ·
Happened to me a couple of times. iPhone is bluetooth connected, and I'm on a call in the car. I get to my destination, park the car, turn the car off. But the bluetooth does not disconnect, so I manually swap from bluetooth to the handset, lock the car and walk away continuing the call on the phone. A couple of seconds later, the call goes silent. Then I realise the phone has reconnected back to the bluetooth in the car, even though the car is off and locked. Gremlins.

#7 ·
Happens ALL the time in my BMWs....the phone connection does not die when you turn the vehicle off. You need to manually disconnect...otherwise if you are still on the call as you walk away from the car the call is still heard through the car and not your phone...could be embarrassing:p
a good feature actually if you need to pull over to speak for a prolonged period of time...

#8 ·
Yup being able to still talk via bluetooth while the car is in 'accessories' mode is useful. In this case, I actually did disconnect it (not by turning bluetooth off on the handphone, but just by swwapping from bluetooth connect to the handset speaker). And it does it, I'm actually talking on the phone itself already, lock the car and walk away. Only about 10 seconds later, does the phone go silent lol! I reckon like in the cases above, the infotainment 'wakes up' again and then polls for bluetooth pairing - and the phone then reconnects. Minor issue - the fact that my phone does connect on bluetooth is a win already seeing the issues some others are having!

#5 ·
A couple of times. Triggered by a certain sequence. No dead battery = no harm/no foul. Hopefully an easy software fix.

#6 ·
Yes, I've it happen once, where the radio/accessory power remained on despite car being off. I can't remember the exact sequence of actions leading up to it though. It was disconcerting though, because although I caught it quickly in this case, had I been leaving the car for an extended period of time, I could have been screwed by a dead battery.

Perhaps this is one of the causes behind the seemingly high, early-failure rate of Giulia batteries?

#9 ·
I have just experienced this in my new Giulia today. I switched to iPhone from the car fully stopped and **** down and the infotainment stayed connected the entire time. I even disabled Bluetooth and the radio stayed on even with the doors locked. I had to go back and reopen the vehicle from the drivers door and the connection and situation finally resolved itself. Very strange.... another Italian quirk I guess, but I love my Italian!

#11 ·
Hahaha, wow! This just happened to me again, right now, as I arrived home on a phone call. I gotta figure out what the correct disconnect protocol is. Maybe it's turn off car, pick up call on handset, cycle acc power on/off once, and then exit car.

#12 ·
Never had that happen to me. But, when I am in the garage I can here it making noises like it is locking and unlocking even though the fob is in the house about 40 feet away.

#15 ·
Hmm not sure this has happened exactly. I usually turn off BT when not using it since it sucks power on my phone. The only time my car remotely started was by accident with the key in my pocket. I have never used remote start nor had it on a car before this. I was crouching down working on the brakes in fact, last week. And turn turn turn, broomm, car started. Stood up took key out of pocket and shut off car. Placed keys back in the cup holder drawer and went back to working on the brakes. Get this, car was on a jack stand with wheel off and race jack still in place! For me, leaving the key in the center of the car, in an easy default "valet" configuration has avoided every strange electronic gremlin while working on the car. Lifting the car-tilt sensors, Forza valve install-harness disconnect, Brake bad removal-sensor disconnect, MultiECUScan-volumetric sensor adjustment and service interval reset. Oil change too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.