Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my TI for 9 months now and absolutely love it.

When I got the car last June I followed all the Car Play threads with interest. Didn't know what I was missing but I was mad and felt like I had to have Car Play. Reading all these threads got me spooled up! Called the dealer several times, called Apple Care, just like everyone got a ton of different stories. Read on the forum of a bunch of perspective buyers who said it was a deal breaker by not having Car Play or the Android equivalent.

My daughter was in an accident a couple of months ago, Insurance company from guy who hit her bought us a new car.

Awesome, this next car would have Apple Car Play!

I have been completely underwhelmed and the fact someone wouldn't buy this car because of that confuses me and makes me think I must be using it wrong. Between Siri and connections to my car, as far as I can tell the only difference is the map functionality and texts show up on the car screen. However you have to use Apple Maps only, not Waze or Google Maps for that to work.

Siri reads and sends texts and you can send and make calls hands free anyway. You can play any song you want using Siri. You can't use Spotify easily with it, forced to use Apple Music. Even if you are using Apple music and can go forward, backwards, search using Siri. Your contacts are already loaded into the Giulia without Car Play so you don't need it for that.

I am not bashing Car Play at all, just trying to figure out what it gives me that is causing so much discussion besides the fact that we all bought the car with it supposedly included.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I kinda figured I was wasting money on hype when I included it in my order, thanks for preparing me to say, "huh, people can't live without THIS?"
I have it in my QV and I am glad I didn't have to pay the extra $$$ to have it as an option......

Maybe it is just me, but definitely not worth the hype......

·
Registered
216 Posts
I want CarPlay because I want real maps + navigation from my phone displayed in my car. I'd like to be able to set up nav on my phone, plug in, and see it.

And since I commute daily I'd like to be able to select my podcasts and music without having to fiddle with fishing out my phone to choose the episodes all the time.

These are not big things, no.

I did not purchase the car solely for CarPlay. I did, however, place an order for a 2018 and wait 6 months for CarPlay instead of buying a 2017 on-the-spot. Which is why I feel it's owed to me as promised.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cool if you don't like CarPlay, good for you. But absolutely incorrect that you can't use Spotify with it. If you have Spotify installed on your phone (and you login) it will be a displayed app in CarPlay. Works great.

Other than navigation (which absolutely sucks on the Giulia) I am generally OK with the infotainment on the car....its much better than some of the naysayers report. But having CarPlay is nice....I use it on longer drives.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool if you don't like CarPlay, good for you. But absolutely incorrect that you can't use Spotify with it. If you have Spotify installed on your phone (and you login) it will be a displayed app in CarPlay. Works great.

Other than navigation (which absolutely sucks on the Giulia) I am generally OK with the infotainment on the car....its much better than some of the naysayers report. But having CarPlay is nice....I use it on longer drives.

That is interesting, maybe it is car specific. I am logged into Spotify, have a premium account and it doesn't come up in Car Play. Siri won't access Spotify either on my phone, I'm forced to go to Apple Music.

I'm like you I kinda like the infotainment system, (nav is medicore, not worthless). I like not having the touch screen and not dealing with fingerprints. I have just found I could do anything I want with it and Siri, except have a nav application show up on the car screen.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm like you I kinda like the infotainment system, (nav is medicore, not worthless). I like not having the touch screen and not dealing with fingerprints. I have just found I could do anything I want with it and Siri, except have a nav application show up on the car screen.
By the way, Siri doesn't work anymore on the Giulia without CarPlay. Which is what really kills it for me. Can't pick my podcasts without having to pull out my phone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, Siri doesn't work anymore on the Giulia without CarPlay. Which is what really kills it for me. Can't pick my podcasts without having to pull out my phone.
That would be annoying, maybe that is car specific. Siri works great in my non car play Giulia. I never touch my phone. Unless you mean the car microphone. I have my phone mounted close to me and when I give Siri commands the phone is driving the command, never tried going through the Giulia system, however since it is in media mode, all audio output goes through the car.

On another note today, my driver seat automatically started moving back when I turned off the car and opened the door. Never did that before. Brought it into the dealer right when I got it saying that feature wasn't working. They said my car wasn't equipped for it. Guess they were wrong and it decided to wake up, or someone installed it today without me knowing about it while I was at lunch!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
That would be annoying, maybe that is car specific. Siri works great in my non car play Giulia. I never touch my phone.
What model of iPhone do you have? Chrysler HQ says Siri cannot work with iPhone 6 (and possibly 7), but should work with an 8.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
The only honest reason why I want this is to remove the phone mount I have lol I'm a minimalist and hate having clutter in my car.

Reactions: julianm

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What model of iPhone do you have? Chrysler HQ says Siri cannot work with iPhone 6 (and possibly 7), but should work with an 8.
I have a Iphone X but my 6s worked well the same way.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Have had my TI for 9 months now and absolutely love it.

When I got the car last June I followed all the Car Play threads with interest. Didn't know what I was missing but I was mad and felt like I had to have Car Play. Reading all these threads got me spooled up! Called the dealer several times, called Apple Care, just like everyone got a ton of different stories. Read on the forum of a bunch of perspective buyers who said it was a deal breaker by not having Car Play or the Android equivalent.

My daughter was in an accident a couple of months ago, Insurance company from guy who hit her bought us a new car.

Awesome, this next car would have Apple Car Play!

I have been completely underwhelmed and the fact someone wouldn't buy this car because of that confuses me and makes me think I must be using it wrong. Between Siri and connections to my car, as far as I can tell the only difference is the map functionality and texts show up on the car screen. However you have to use Apple Maps only, not Waze or Google Maps for that to work.

Siri reads and sends texts and you can send and make calls hands free anyway. You can play any song you want using Siri. You can't use Spotify easily with it, forced to use Apple Music. Even if you are using Apple music and can go forward, backwards, search using Siri. Your contacts are already loaded into the Giulia without Car Play so you don't need it for that.

I am not bashing Car Play at all, just trying to figure out what it gives me that is causing so much discussion besides the fact that we all bought the car with it supposedly included.
I guess is all up to individual preference. I love my Apple Car play and I'm so glad that I was able to find a car that already had it installed. The Apple navigation is light years ahead of the factory installed nav. Apple map gives real time traffic info while the factory nav doesn't. For that feature alone Apple Car play worth it. The map graphics in the factory nav are mediocre at best. Even though the owners manual shows these pretty good looking 3D views and I have it selected the 3D view in the options menu the car never actually display it that way. The graphic looks about the same as in my 10 year old Garmin.
Siri works great with Apple Car play in this car. I can tell her to take me home, or take me to my friend's house and she pulls up the address without any problem. The other day I told Siri to play some music and she started playing the playlist I've been listening to on my iphone. Cool.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Put me in the “really likes CarPlay” category. I reflexively plug my phone into any car I have to keep it charged so it works fine for me. I usually have some destination in mind before even entering the car so if I already have navigation somewhere started up on the iPhone as I walk to the car when I plug it in the nav is already up and running on the car’s dash. It seems to work pretty well all around and voice commands to Siri are pretty good so I can control whatever with the voice activation button right from the wheel. It’s a personal preference so some may not like it I guess but it all works fairly well for me. It makes getting into a non-CarPlay equipped car a bit of a annoyance having to manually punch in destinations of need be no matter how good the in-car’s system is...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts