Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am a pretty big Giulia fan, I had one ordered back when 2018 was first available for order but local lots did not have any. Unfortunately, my order has been a total mess and delayed for months where I didn't have an option to wait anymore, so I ended up with an Audi S4.

My buddy, just bought a 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport. He was going for a new 2019 model, but dealer just bought the car that he picked up from a dealer that went out of business. The car was new with 100 miles, but given that it was 2017, they could not sell as new and as a result it was sold as used with a crazy discount.

Anyway, the issue is that it is a 2017 and that model year was not pre-wired for Car Play. His package does not include navigation (though it kind of sucks on Alfa anyway since you do not even get traffic and using that rotary wheel for it is a pain), so Car Play was pretty important to him. The dealer said that they can get Car Play installed for $900, basically they've done it one time and they'd have to replace a few harnesses and get some updates in.

That sounds optimistic, but is it true? Has anyone had any luck with MY17 models? I almost wonder if they are thinking that it is a MY18 model where a fix was replacing a USB hub. I searched the forums some, but didn't find a specific case.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
To my knowledge, the 2017 models you could not get Car Play.

Would be interested if this can actually be done.

Thanks

Reactions: Afive720

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link. That sounds like an aftermarket solution that is far from ideal or the scope he'd go for right now given what the dealer said. But, it sounds as if people tried quite hard to get CarPlay on MY17 using Alfa and it didn't work? :/

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Thanks for the link. That sounds like an aftermarket solution that is far from ideal or the scope he'd go for right now given what the dealer said. But, it sounds as if people tried quite hard to get CarPlay on MY17 using Alfa and it didn't work? :/
That’s my impression as well, would require new head unit hardware, hub, proxy alignment and a bunch of other stuff I’ve never heard of anyone successfully getting done through a dealer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s my impression as well, would require new head unit hardware, hub, proxy alignment and a bunch of other stuff I’ve never heard of anyone successfully getting done through a dealer.
That is what I am afraid of as well. Do you know if it is possible to add navigation if it was not in the original build? His build does include the 8.8 inch display, just no nav.

·
Vendor
3,756 Posts
It can be done, all the info is in the link.

My 2017 6/17 build Ti Sport. Waze also is wonderful to have on here.

Don't ask me more than what the thread has. It's all outlined there.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
It can be done, all the info is in the link.

My 2017 6/17 build Ti Sport. Waze also is wonderful to have on here.

Don't ask me more than what the thread has. It's all outlined there.

View attachment 92812
Don’t think the link came through Jason.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Ok, thanks very much. That’s what I recalled, but I thought even though some people had installed all the updated hardware they could not find a dealer willing enable CarPlay via WiTech?

·
Vendor
3,756 Posts
Ok, thanks very much. That’s what I recalled, but I thought even though some people had installed all the updated hardware they could not find a dealer willing enable CarPlay via WiTech?
That's the issue right now. Might change later.

·
Registered
288 Posts
WiTech is not exclusive to dealers. There are independent shops and diagnosticians out there using WiTech. I believe an annual subscription is around $1,600.

Perhaps finding an independent shop with WiTech, would be your best programming solution. Or maybe we could crowdfund a subscription, laptop, and “micropod” (the OBD dongle) and pass it from owner to owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
WiTech is not exclusive to dealers. There are independent shops and diagnosticians out there using WiTech. I believe an annual subscription is around $1,600.

Perhaps finding an independent shop with WiTech, would be your best programming solution. Or maybe we could crowdfund a subscription, laptop, and “micropod” (the OBD dongle) and pass it from owner to owner.

I've honestly thought about doing that with the crowdfunding. I have the latest ETM and the dual usb port media hub but I'll be I just can't find anyone to help me try and activate it. It's quite frustrating. So if anyone knows anyone in the Milwaukee area! Or honestly, I'm willing to drive up to 5 hours or so. So Twin cities, Chicago, Indianapolis, all of those place.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts

would the dealer still need to update sales codes (?) in their systems to keep their records in synch with the actual hardware and software on your car to avoid future service issues? Call me a wimp, but it’s not worth it to me unless there is an FCA sanctioned upgrade path.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts