Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Giulia for a about 5 weeks, and i've had it washed twice so far. Once at the dealer(free) and more recently by myself. I used the two bucket method. One mitt for the body and one for the wheels, and a microfiber towel to dry it off.

I've been looking into getting it waxed, and i got the AutoGlym HD Wax. I'm kinda daunted by the prep work required before waxing (the different products, clybar, etc), so i thought i'd find out what/how you guys go about it?

Also, if anyone knows of a good detailer in the Houston area who can do it or help with the prep, let me know.

Cheers

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm so over wax. To me, it is a complete waste of time and money. I'm all about the nano ceramic hydrophobic coatings like CQuartz, Opti-Coat Pro Plus, Modesta, etc. Then use whatever maintenance regimen the coating manufacturer recommends based on your desired level of glossiness and durability.

·
Registered
449 Posts
A bit of both sides of the fence. There is maintenance for both modalities. But aren't we in for much more difficult maintenance down the road if we want to take the coatings off and reapply? Or is the tough part only of we put ppf on the car?

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A bit of both sides of the fence. There is maintenance for both modalities. But aren't we in for much more difficult maintenance down the road if we want to take the coatings off and reapply? Or is the tough part only of we put ppf on the car?
I heard that the ceramic coats are far more 'permanent' than just waxing. Anyone in here wax their Giulia?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just my 2 cents. Ceramic coating BONDs to the clearcoat, great for exterior care. However deep chips and scratches will require sanding the coating, fixing the paint, then reapplying the coating to the affected panel.

I have been thinking about a good sealent like (silica based) and reapplying every couple of months. Here is a detailers review if interested

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I just wash and wax, but I’m not a fanatic. Car is garaged most of the time, so I figure that’s good enough. I use Meguiar’s Ultimate Wash & Wax, and every couple of months follow the wash with a wax using Collinite Liquid Insulater Wax (based on recommendations from others on this site).

Attachments

Reactions: Tazio!1901

·
Registered
554 Posts
I do a coat of Collinite 845 every 4 months or so on my cars, with maybe 1 application of Optimum Spray Wax in between. It's therapeutic. Plus it's cheap and durable, I'm not wealthy enough for ceramic coatings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wax my QV using Collinite and Pinnacle products. With Wax its fairly easy to upkeep if its garaged kept. The Collinite products have great durability. Agree with ChiAlfaRabbi's comment, if you plan to keep the car a long time ceramic coatings don't last forever and taking them off or prepping the paint for reapplication may be difficult and expensive. With wax its a fairly easy process for the home detailer to remove or correct the paint and reapply.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have had my car less than a month. I have washed it by hand once and applied Colinite 845 insulator wax. Looked pretty good and nice and shiny.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You don’t have to “get rid” of ceramic coats, they eventually wear and just need reapplication or top up. I just ceramic coated with Gyeon Can Coat, which was DIY, cost effective, and looks really great - deep, glassy shine. Did window glass with Q2 View ceramic coat too. Bit of prep for the initial, but the ongoing care regime is soooo much easier IMHO. The water and dirt repellant properties are extraordinary, and thus the ongoing care- less dirt and easier to get off. Shine and ceramic coat is topped up every couple of months with Gyeon Cure- spray lightly on a microfiber cloth, rub on, then quickly rub off. Simple and shiny as ****.

In defense of traditional wax coatings, the guys at the Car Care Products store that sold me the product said that a really well applied and buffed wax coat was still better in their opinion than ceramic coat but it was a lot of work and wore off in about a month.

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I like the Sealant better of the wax, seems to last longer (3-4 months). I'm all for doing it as less as needed and I have the Collinite and the Autoglym in my cleaning 'chest'. Here's what I do and i'm by NO means a clean freak/expert/anything other than someone that wants his car to look nice:

Deep clean day:

1. Foam cannon (chemical guys)
2. Rinse with power washer
3. Wash with Autoglym (lamb wool mitt)
4. Use Autoglym painted wheel cleaner with 'brush hero'
5. Rinse with power washer
6. Dry with Chamois
7. Apply Wolfgang Sealant - usually by hand but will be trying with Toro orbital to speed things up more
8. Buff off / done
9. Optional buff of exhaust

Refresh day if going somewhere:

1. Foam cannon (chemical guys)
3. Dry with Chamois

Bird poop/touch up
1. Spray / clean with Wolfgang instant detailer
2. Wipe with microfiber cloth

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm going to cheat and copy and paste and edit as needed

1. Foam cannon pre-soak - loaded with Griot's Brilliant Finish Car wash
2. Use separate bucket to clean wheels first.
3. Foam cannon again
4. Micro fiber wash mitt (2 bucket method with one loaded with said soap)
5. Rinse with power washer
6. Rinse with power washer with filtered water (Griot's Portable Water Deionizer)
7. Dry or not to dry - doesn't matter with filtered water but if I want to get on and wax the car I use 'absorber' chamois and leaf blower...
8. Wolfgang Fuzion wax

Bird poop/touch up
1. Spray / clean with Griot's best of show detailer.
2. Wipe with microfiber cloth

I could write a book about the process to detail (wash, claybar, compound/polish, wax) and that maybe for another thread.

Now I want to comment on the whole 'ceramic coating' hullabaloo. I honestly don't think it's for me. I have no qualms taking care of my cars and I thoroughly enjoy doing it. For me it's therapeutic and there is a high gratification to detailing. I did think about ceramic, but the issue for me is what to do when the coating needs replacing in 3-5 years. The coating has to be sanded off to be removed. The thought of that terrifies me. And then there's the cost to do that and then reapply...I don't see much in the way of savings. I've had the same tub of $200 fuzion wax for near enough 12 years and just bought a replacement. Meguiars ultimate compound and polish are good enough for the swirls I deal with and they're $10/bottle...maybe once a year? Polishing/compound pads are $5-$15 each and last a few uses. Microfibers to polish and wax with are $50 for a good bundle and last a while. The ceramix coated car still needs washing, so there is no money to save there. You still have to use the reload/recharge spray bottle to keep it working at its best. What's the cost to do ceramic coating? $1000? $2000? $4000? it is not cheap. I'm not able to justify it.

It maybe perfect for others that find polishing and waxing tedious, and I can fully appreciate that. But if the only factor between the old school vs ceramic is cost, I don't think ceramic is cheaper in the short or long run. 2 cents over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used the Autoglym Wax for years now and find it really good. As long as paint is properly washed and clean it works very well.
It goes on easily and as long as its dried pretty well comes off well as well.

Recently used on my Giulia for the first time and gave a great finish to the car and beads the water really well (also makes washing all the dead insects off easier)

Another option I find is the Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection which is even easier and if you can manage to leave it on for a good hour drying gets a long lasting finish

·
Registered
70 Posts
Zaino is my weapon of choice. I've used it for years with outstanding results. Beautiful deep shine and fairly easy to maintain.

I did look into other options when I got my Giulia including ceramic coatings, but shied away after seeing some of the other Trofeo White cars seem to lose the "satin" look of the paint finish at different angles. After I finished with the Zaino I was extremely happy with the results. Awesome deep gloss with out losing the nuances of the tri-coat.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I’ve never heard of the ceramic coatings needing to be sanded off to reapply. They do lose their effectiveness after some time. But if you’re worried about that, just use Modesta which can last up to 10 years or more.

It seems crazy to me to ignore advances in materials and invest many dozens of hours a year in traditional detailing. If you want to protect your paint finish and reduce wear and tear so that the coating remains as thick and lustrous for as long as possible, you need both paint protection film and ceramic coatings. Just using typical paint sealants and waxes has you reapplying often, which contributes to excess wear and tear on the clearcoat thickness.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Usually use Sonax Hybrid Wax, but recently went with: a hand wash, dry, clay mitt, Gyeon Prep, 3 coats of Blackfire SiO2 sealant. Results were amazing. Actually even better than the Sonax. Now the question will be staying power.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As mentioned before, ive had the car for almost 6 weeks and clocked 1500 miles with highway driving. Before i got the car it was probably sitting outside in a lot.

So far it has been washed twice. What kind of wash would i need to do to prep it for being waxed? The last thing i want to do is wax it prematurely and scratch it. I suppose i should take it to a detailer, but im so new to all this that i dont know what specifically to ask for. Suggestions?

Cheers

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe your best bet is "interview" a few detail shops. Find them online, check out the reviews and then go talk with them (I did this for my car). I also did a lot of research on the best way to wash a car and then talked with the different detail shops on what they thought. I would make sure to research those shops that offer ceramic coating or films especially, regardless if you intend on doing a coating/film or not; they tend to pay more attention to detail, IMO.

Don't be nervous about asking them questions/learning from them not everyone is an expert in detailing.

There are a ton of videos out there demonstrating proper washing/maintenance for your car. Just remember that a lot of them are selling products too, so don't feel obligated to rush out and buy ALL of their brand stuff. GiuliaQV and FNM offered up a similar technique that I use but you can find what you like. The 2 bucket method is pretty standard but some people use multiple wash mitts instead.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I’ve never heard of the ceramic coatings needing to be sanded off to reapply. They do lose their effectiveness after some time. But if you’re worried about that, just use Modesta which can last up to 10 years or more.

It seems crazy to me to ignore advances in materials and invest many dozens of hours a year in traditional detailing. If you want to protect your paint finish and reduce wear and tear so that the coating remains as thick and lustrous for as long as possible, you need both paint protection film and ceramic coatings. Just using typical paint sealants and waxes has you reapplying often, which contributes to excess wear and tear on the clearcoat thickness.
I don’t regret getting my Ceramic Pro coating for a minute. As much as I enjoy the process of getting my car looking great, I don’t want to spend all day doing it.

I have the washing process down to below 30 minutes.
1. Power wash the worst dirt off
2. Use power washer to put a layer of soap on (Mother’s).
3. Fill up two buckets while the soap sits (one for soap wash, one to rinse mitt.
4. Rinse off sitting soap.
5. Wash car with microfiber mitt (separate old mitt for wheels and exhaust tips).
6. Power washer to rinse off
7. Microfiber cloth to dry the car (sometimes “water dry” it first if a lot of large droplets.

If I’m doing carpets and dash and inside of windshield, add 10 minutes....otherwise 1/2 hour total.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts