Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Giulia for almost two whole weeks now, and I wanted to get upto speed with how to take care of it. The dealer said it has 'permaplate' on it.

How do you guys clean/wash the car? what products do you use? How about waxing? Do you do it yourself or take it to a carwash? How about leather care?

I've had my windshield chipped/cracked unfortunately, so is there any precaution I need to take when cleaning the car?

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had my Giulia for almost two whole weeks now, and I wanted to get upto speed with how to take care of it. The dealer said it has 'permaplate' on it.

How do you guys clean/wash the car? what products do you use? How about waxing? Do you do it yourself or take it to a carwash? How about leather care?

I've had my windshield chipped/cracked unfortunately, so is there any precaution I need to take when cleaning the car?

Cheers
Going through a car wash is like washing your car with a towel filled with razors, I don't personally recommend it. That being said I personally use the AMMO AERATOR and the AMMO FROTHe. Best way to wash your car without a hose with all these strict regulations on water usage down south here.

For leather cleaning I would probably use something like Meguiar's Leather Cleaner. Meguiar's is just a great company all around and all of their stuff works great. If you want to go all out, get the Meguiar's Tire Gel too and it'll make your tires look better than new! May want to also check out Chemical Guys or Mothers, both of them are really good as well.

Wax, I STRONGLY recommend Collinite 845. By far the best I have used thought all the cars I've owned. Goes on easy and leaves a great shine. Generally the rule is to wait 60-90 days after you buy the car to wax it to let the paint settle in. May want to wait a little longer than 2 weeks before you wax. That's what I have personally gone by though. I bought mine about 2 weeks ago too and I can't wait to get this thing waxed and shined!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Going through a car wash is like washing your car with a towel filled with razors, I don't personally recommend it. That being said I personally use the AMMO AERATOR and the AMMO FROTHe. Best way to wash your car without a hose with all these strict regulations on water usage down south here.

For leather cleaning I would probably use something like Meguiar's Leather Cleaner. Meguiar's is just a great company all around and all of their stuff works great. If you want to go all out, get the Meguiar's Tire Gel too and it'll make your tires look better than new! May want to also check out Chemical Guys or Mothers, both of them are really good as well.

Wax, I STRONGLY recommend Collinite 845. By far the best I have used thought all the cars I've owned. Goes on easy and leaves a great shine. Generally the rule is to wait 60-90 days after you buy the car to wax it to let the paint settle in. May want to wait a little longer than 2 weeks before you wax. That's what I have personally gone by though. I bought mine about 2 weeks ago too and I can't wait to get this thing waxed and shined!!
You do realize that the car has been sitting on the dealers lot for a while, right? Go ahead and wax it now! Before it’s too late!:wink2:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Anyone check out what Jay has- https://www.lenosgarage.com/

I picked up the Foam Cannon and Car Wash Soap, works great.

The Cannon does require a pressure washer. I have an inexpensive Husky that works pretty good. It's electric. I had to buy another hose and install quick connects in order to use the Foam Cannon with it. Pretty nice set up now. I can cover the whole car in about an inch plus of foam in the matter of a minute or so.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Also, since I had Opti Coat Pro Ceramic put on my car I went and ordered some of their cleaning products. http://opti-coat.net/opts

The No rinse wash and shine works really well if you don't have a hose.

Just need a couple of buckets and a wash mitt and you are set.

I really like the Tire Shine- it works great and doesn't leave the tires with a real High Gloss look. Works really nice on the Plastic trim pieces on the front and back.

Anyway, I am happy with what I have tested so far and the prices seem very reasonable.

Just thought I would through some other options into the mix.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The only car I only hand wash is my Alfa Spider Veloce.

My Giulia regularly see's tunnel car washes and I hand wax it every 3 months.

I love the car but I don't obsess over it like my Spider.

Reactions: 19737

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
569 Posts
Griot's Garage Wash and Wax; using microfiber wash mitt. Use a 19v Black and Decker blower to remove most water before drying with microfiber towel. Only use the automated car wash when salt is present and temp below 40 degrees. Use this technique on 164 and will apply to Giulia when it arrives

Reactions: Nancyslat

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am not one who loves washing the car but I do love having a beautiful, shiny, amazing vehicle to drive. My favorite product currently is Kenotech Showroom Shine. Great for keeping it gorgeous between washings and doesn’t leave a film. I detest water spots and it does a great job on those. I also love Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax.http://https://www.detailersdomain.com/products/kenotek-showroom-shine

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Okay I am not obsessing about cars but I have washed and waxed my car and clayed it. That is a 2013 Mini and it still looks great. Paint looks new and no fading even in the scourching AZ sun. I haven’t figured out what I am going to use on the red comp tri-coat and if it matters. I have read that different waxes can bring out different sheens or depths. I have the Meguires carnuba, detailing spray, clay, tire gel etc. I also have blackout. I won’t have to use that on the Alfa for a while and I don’t know how long the grill will last without fading but if it does the blackout works great.

Any thoughts if a different wax is better on Rosso Comp? I don’t know that clay is necessary but I do notice when I use it on the car and i think it is clean it gets more stuff off that you don’t even see. Then I wax it.

I think it just makes the car look its best and in AZ you need to have a good wax on it since the sun is brutle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cant go wrong with Collinite wax products (as mentioned in a few posts above) and durability is great compared to other waxes. Collinite 915 may be best for the Rosso Comp. If you want the best looks and not best durability try Pinnacle Soveran Wax Products they look great on the Rosso but not nearly as durable as the Collinite. I have a Rosso Comp QV and the Pinnacle Signature Series II gave the Rosso a much deeper look.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I avoid the multi bucket car wash methods all together. They don’t make sense with their dirt traps and wash bucket- rinse bucket BS. The whole idea of the multi bucket wash systems is to avoid putting dirt back on the car. Well when you finish and your wash and rinse buckets are black you’re putting dirt back on the car more and more with every dunk in the buckets!

I use one bucket, and only to throw used wash mitts into and not reuse them for the rest of that wash. I just rinse the car off and then foam cannon the car til it looks like a big beautiful marshmallow and let it sit a bit. There is then plenty of soap on the car and use one of a dozen or so clean wash mitts, you can buy great ones on amazon for under $4 each. Do one door turn the mitt over for a clean side and do another door and throw it in a used bucket and grab another mitt and do the other side. One mitt for each pair of doors, one for the roof, one for the hood, one for trunk, and a few for the front and rear bumpers. Wash the mitts out after for next time in the washing machine and you’re ready to go. A washed car and no dirt possibly reapplied to the car. I saw some guy on YouTube talking about this and I agree 100%. You can do a foam cannon no-bucket wash faster and not waste a five gallon bucket of soap filled water and put less dirt back on your car!

Also I highly recommend a ceramic coating, especially on the wheels and calipers. A pressure washer is enough to get 95% of the dirt off alone with the coating.

I got an MTM pf22 foam cannon and use it with a sun joe 1.8 GPM 2000psi electric pressure washer. Works really well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I avoid the multi bucket car wash methods all together. They don’t make sense with their dirt traps and wash bucket- rinse bucket BS. The whole idea of the multi bucket wash systems is to avoid putting dirt back on the car. Well when you finish and your wash and rinse buckets are black you’re putting dirt back on the car more and more with every dunk in the buckets!

I use one bucket, and only to throw used wash mitts into and not reuse them for the rest of that wash. I just rinse the car off and then foam cannon the car til it looks like a big beautiful marshmallow and let it sit a bit. There is then plenty of soap on the car and use one of a dozen or so clean wash mitts, you can buy great ones on amazon for under $4 each. Do one door turn the mitt over for a clean side and do another door and throw it in a used bucket and grab another mitt and do the other side. One mitt for each pair of doors, one for the roof, one for the hood, one for trunk, and a few for the front and rear bumpers. Wash the mitts out after for next time in the washing machine and you’re ready to go. A washed car and no dirt possibly reapplied to the car. I saw some guy on YouTube talking about this and I agree 100%. You can do a foam cannon no-bucket wash faster and not waste a five gallon bucket of soap filled water and put less dirt back on your car!

Also I highly recommend a ceramic coating, especially on the wheels and calipers. A pressure washer is enough to get 95% of the dirt off alone with the coating.

I got an MTM pf22 foam cannon and use it with a sun joe 1.8 GPM 2000psi electric pressure washer. Works really well.
Your QV looks STUNNING. I think we are either getting our delivery tomorrow or Tuesday. May have to do a quick job until I have a chance to look at the foam cannon. The tricky part here is right now I can get up pretty early in the morning and catch the car first thing (garage kept) but the sun is already beating so I have probably one maybe two solid waxes I can apply before it is too hot to wax until October. July thru Sept I avoid wax. Dries to fast.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Your QV looks STUNNING. I think we are either getting our delivery tomorrow or Tuesday. May have to do a quick job until I have a chance to look at the foam cannon. The tricky part here is right now I can get up pretty early in the morning and catch the car first thing (garage kept) but the sun is already beating so I have probably one maybe two solid waxes I can apply before it is too hot to wax until October. July thru Sept I avoid wax. Dries to fast.
Thanks. I just hit 1k miles but most of the credit goes to Enthusiast Details here in NY. Full front end Xpel and cQuartz over that and the rest of the car. There isn’t a swirl anywhere to be seen and I’m trying hard to minimize them. Those photos are actually close to a zero touch wash. The car had a few hundred miles of grit on it but wasn’t too dirty so all I did was rinse it off, foam cannon, final rinse and blow dry with a leaf blower and light touch ups with a wooly microfiber drying towel here and there. I barely even had to lay a hand on it. Going in I understood how nice a PPF could be to prevent minor chips etc. but wasn’t really sold on be ceramic coatings but after a few washes with the coating I’m pretty glad I got it, especially the wheels and yellow calipers...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nice job. I just did mine with Gyeon Can Coat ceramic coat. Good system and cheap compared to someone doing it for 1000s. Goes over everything, glass etc.....
Here’s a shot of her in our work car park where I did the coat last night. I’ll do some proper shots when I get a chance. I’ve done a lot of research and I think ceramic is the way to go personally. It looks great I have to say.

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts