Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Car had catastrophic failure. Flat bedded to dealer, they're bringing in a factory engineer to assess everything. I'm anxiously waiting to find out if the repair will be covered by AR or if my insurance has to do it. Service tech took a quick look while the car was on the tow truck and said it's likely the engine is done. Here's how it happened: I was driving down the road, normal speed (about 40 mph), Natural mode, Automatic. Then came a loud "boom", immediately lost steering, saw some smoke came up, lots of warning lights appeared on the dash. Brakes still worked, so i slowed the car to the side of the road, couldn't steer at all, luckily no incoming traffic. Got out to see lots of fluid dripping down, at least motor oil, not sure what other fluids were in that mess. Car still started ok, able to shift into D, N, R, P. I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Your insurance company does not need to get involved AT ALL for any car failure. Now, if it was negligence in your part, like you put washer fluid in the oil which caused the catastrophic engine failure, then the repairs will not be covered under your new vehicle warranty. Then you will call your insurance company to help you cover the costs of the repairs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm not sure what state you're in but comprehensive auto insurance generally doesn't cover mechanical failure unless caused by outside forces. Doesn't seem to be the case here.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts
Did you hit anything or anyone, or did the fluids spilled by your car cause an accident?

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Hi,

Car had catastrophic failure. Flat bedded to dealer, they're bringing in a factory engineer to assess everything. I'm anxiously waiting to find out if the repair will be covered by AR or if my insurance has to do it. Service tech took a quick look while the car was on the tow truck and said it's likely the engine is done. Here's how it happened: I was driving down the road, normal speed (about 40 mph), Natural mode, Automatic. Then came a loud "boom", immediately lost steering, saw some smoke came up, lots of warning lights appeared on the dash. Brakes still worked, so i slowed the car to the side of the road, couldn't steer at all, luckily no incoming traffic. Got out to see lots of fluid dripping down, at least motor oil, not sure what other fluids were in that mess. Car still started ok, able to shift into D, N, R, P. I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks!
Didn't you just get this car end of August??? Rosso Competizione right??
Never had any issues until this blow-up??? Crazy stuff....this is a warranty issue for AR, not sure how your insurance would get involved UNLESS your referring to an aftermarket extended maintenance policy you may have...even then...car is NEW:surprise:....
Keep us posted how things turn out..

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
From your description of loud noise and smoke, it does sound like your motor blew..... wow, how does that happen on a new car? I hope AR gets the issue resolved ASAP for you......

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't know of any engine that would "start ok" after it blew it's oil out. And why would the steering be the first thing to go if the engine blew? isn't the steering electric? Maybe the hit something in the road?

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi,
To answer the questions above, yes, got car in August, Giulia Ti, Rosso Competizione. No issues at all until this happened. The fluids spilled after the car "blew up", so they did not cause the wreck. Road was dry. I don't think I hit anything, but you never know, looking at the periphery of the car, rockers, bumper, .... no damage at all. There would be severe damage to the exterior, if I had run over something, as there is not much clearance between the front bumper and the road surface. Car is bone stock, now lowered, no tune,... I will post some photos soon. I didn't get to see the underside of the car, but there was this piece on the ground, the tech said it looks to be the cross member that dropped.

Edit: The reason I brought up the insurance company is because the tech told me maybe I should give them a heads up, in case AR denied repair.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Dang, ouch, well that's not good. Welds failed?

·
Registered
573 Posts
In looking at the first picture more closely you can see where the one fastener is bent out position (not flat any more) and where something looks to have scraped along to underside until it came in contact with something more solid- the cross member. It looks like you drove over something, rock or maybe a cinder block by the color of the scrape marks.

Attachments

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In looking at the first picture more closely you can see where the one fastener is bent out position (not flat any more) and where something looks to have scraped along to underside until it came in contact with something more solid- the cross member. It looks like you drove over something, rock or maybe a cinder block by the color of the scrape marks.
Can't rule that out.

No noise of any sort prior the explosion? Typically - there is a knock or some sound on the bottom.
It happened so suddenly, honestly, I only remember the loud "boom". Also, one side of the road is a fast flowing river, the water sound drowns out a lot of other noise.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just saw the pics... a massive engine failure (at 40 mph) would not cause this type of damage....could it be a road hazard that took out the oil pan/line - which leads to catastrophic engine failure....????

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
It certainly looks like something hit the bottom of the car, that gray spot in center of the pic is actually one of the fasteners that hold the aero pan in front....it is quite a bit distorted like something clipped it....maybe moved and hit that crossmemeber...cross member is also bent like **** and the welds are broken in a way that suggest force from the front of the car not from above where engine is

Sorry just noticed woodstk said exactly same thing

·
Registered
231 Posts
The loud boom you heard was most likely you hitting something in the road. Alfa won’t cover it if they determine that you hit something. Any massive pothole(crater) in the road at area this happen?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Definitely hit something....."Skid marks".....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Awe **** no! Yeah something busted that cross member. I hit a rock on a speed bump with a buddy in the Miata 2 winters ago. Cracked the oil pan. But ****, do you have road work in your area and the damned chew groves and manhole caps? We do here and I am glad to say it should be finished in a matter of days, well before my Quad arrives. I have been driving different routes because of it just to save rocks chips on the Miata. You hit something or that cross member gave out and then you bottomed on something. Sucks bro. Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts
Did you survey the scene for possible impact objects? I see some of what appears to be loose road material near the tire in the first photograph. Could that be the remains of what you hit?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts