Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Audi S4 Stage 3+
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After falling in love with the Giulia QV, I decided in April to place my order for a brand new one. I've always bought cars used, so this was a different and exciting experience for me. Once the order was placed, it became a waiting game. Weeks went by like months, months seemed like years, and all the while there were no updates.

At some point during my wait I read about other orders being cancelled by the factory. This was disheartening, but the salesman I placed the order through assured me that mine won't be cancelled because it was entered as a "sold" order. There was no chance of me backing out, so I relaxed a bit. A month later I got my VON (vehicle order number), which gave me even more confidence. Finally, on July 21st, I received an email direct from the Stellantis Information Center that all the materials were received to start my build. Now I'm really excited! Everything is coming to fruition and my car is on track to be delivered by the end of August.

Then, on August 3rd, the inexplicable news came through that my order had been cancelled. No reason given. If there was an issue with sourcing materials I could understand it getting delayed. I can live with that. But cancelled 4 months after I placed the order? For what? All the materials were in and ready for my build!

I was devastated and infuriated. Mike DeSalvo (my contact/salesman) at Alfa of Strongsville was incensed as well. He called his contacts at Alfa and the issue was escalated all the way to the top brass at Stellantis. After a few days of waiting and looking at alternative car options I got the confirmation my order was indeed cancelled with no possibility of being built. I'm not the only one with a cancelled order. I know there were at least 25+ other orders (including members of this forum) that got the same treatment. The compensation Alfa offered was not adequate, and the options on MY22 are not the same as MY21.

In the end I decided to swallow my pride and order a MY22. I love the Giulia QV and knew it was the car for me the moment I test drove one. Had BMW not made their new M3 gouge-your-eyes-out-and-pour-hotsauce-in-the-sockets ugly, I probably would have taken my money to them. Now, I await a probable December delivery. Alfa are very lucky nobody is making a direct competitor worth buying right now, because I really did not want to give them my money after this experience. The Giulia QV is special and I will be happy to own one (barring another inexplicably cancelled order), but Alfa Romeo has not earned my loyalty.

With a poor reputation in North America for historical unreliability and dealer network problems, how does Alfa justify this? You would think they'd be working to restore trust in their brand and to give people something positive to talk about. This is not a good look for them and I feel like they treat the North America market as their lowest priority. I want Alfa to succeed in the US and to overturn their poor reputation, but they really aren't trying very hard.

Apologies for the long rant, but I really felt the need to share this. I know other disappointed would-be owners have similar experiences and I don't want Alfa to get away with this without hearing from us because I don't want something like this to happen again in the future.

I am excited to join the club of Alfa Romeo owners and guess I'll be waiting a bit longer. I also want to thank Mike DeSalvo at Alfa Romeo of Strongsville for going to bat for me and helping me place an order for a similar (but not identical) QV. Mike has been outstanding throughout this difficult process.

·
Registered
971 Posts
After falling in love with the Giulia QV, I decided in April to place my order for a brand new one. I've always bought cars used, so this was a different and exciting experience for me. Once the order was placed, it became a waiting game. Weeks went by like months, months seemed like years, and all the while there were no updates.

At some point during my wait I read about other orders being cancelled by the factory. This was disheartening, but the salesman I placed the order through assured me that mine won't be cancelled because it was entered as a "sold" order. There was no chance of me backing out, so I relaxed a bit. A month later I got my VON (vehicle order number), which gave me even more confidence. Finally, on July 21st, I received an email direct from the Stellantis Information Center that all the materials were received to start my build. Now I'm really excited! Everything is coming to fruition and my car is on track to be delivered by the end of August.

Then, on August 3rd, the inexplicable news came through that my order had been cancelled. No reason given. If there was an issue with sourcing materials I could understand it getting delayed. I can live with that. But cancelled 4 months after I placed the order? For what? All the materials were in and ready for my build!

I was devastated and infuriated. Mike DeSalvo (my contact/salesman) at Alfa of Strongsville was incensed as well. He called his contacts at Alfa and the issue was escalated all the way to the top brass at Stellantis. After a few days of waiting and looking at alternative car options I got the confirmation my order was indeed cancelled with no possibility of being built. I'm not the only one with a cancelled order. I know there were at least 25+ other orders (including members of this forum) that got the same treatment. The compensation Alfa offered was not adequate, and the options on MY22 are not the same as MY21.

In the end I decided to swallow my pride and order a MY22. I love the Giulia QV and knew it was the car for me the moment I test drove one. Had BMW not made their new M3 gouge-your-eyes-out-and-pour-hotsauce-in-the-sockets ugly, I probably would have taken my money to them. Now, I await a probable December delivery. Alfa are very lucky nobody is making a direct competitor worth buying right now, because I really did not want to give them my money after this experience. The Giulia QV is special and I will be happy to own one (barring another inexplicably cancelled order), but Alfa Romeo has not earned my loyalty.

With a poor reputation in North America for historical unreliability and dealer network problems, how does Alfa justify this? You would think they'd be working to restore trust in their brand and to give people something positive to talk about. This is not a good look for them and I feel like they treat the North America market as their lowest priority. I want Alfa to succeed in the US and to overturn their poor reputation, but they really aren't trying very hard.

Apologies for the long rant, but I really felt the need to share this. I know other disappointed would-be owners have similar experiences and I don't want Alfa to get away with this without hearing from us because I don't want something like this to happen again in the future.

I am excited to join the club of Alfa Romeo owners and guess I'll be waiting a bit longer. I also want to thank Mike DeSalvo at Alfa Romeo of Strongsville for going to bat for me and helping me place an order for a similar (but not identical) QV. Mike has been outstanding throughout this difficult process.
Sometimes I think Alfa is surviving DESPITE their corporate backers. Ridiculous.Some of us put effort into willing the brand to succeed then this. QV buyers (their signature product) especially should be looked after. Were you offered any deal sweeteners as compensation?

·
Registered
2000 Audi S4 Stage 3+
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes I think Alfa is surviving DESPITE their corporate backers. Ridiculous.Some of us put effort into willing the brand to succeed then this. QV buyers (their signature product) especially should be looked after. Were you offered any deal sweeteners as compensation?
As a QV buyer I was offered $6000 off a new order. That seems pretty decent until you find out the base MSRP rose $3500 and the $6000 compensation is entered on the purchase order as a rebate which needs to be included in the total sale price (meaning it is taxed). In the end you pretty much break even. I know other Giulia orders (not QV) were offered less compensation. Ridiculous!

·
Registered
2000 Audi S4 Stage 3+
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would just buy something else
Wanted to but what would I buy?

The new M3 is out for me as I don't like the styling or BMW in general. The new Mercedes C63 AMG is a 4 cylinder hybrid that's MUCH heavier than a QV. If used prices weren't ridiculous right now I would have definitely just waited for the right used QV and forgotten about the Ocra I had ordered

·
Registered
424 Posts
Same old story... the product is excellent, but the corporation sucks. A bunch of people should be fired for shit like this
You want to fire people because of a world wide supply chain issue?

Going to be a lot of people looking for jobs lol myself included.

·
Registered
2000 Audi S4 Stage 3+
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No reason given. In response to Kennysum1, it wasn’t a global supply chain issue. They had all the parts and materials to complete my build but decided not to

Reactions: johnzcarz2

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't understand your chagrin for the M3. Sure I don't think the front end is good design but we are all used to it now. Overall the car looks great and reviews are very positive. Interior, tech, packaging, dealer network, reliability are all superior to the Quadrofoglio. There's even options for a manual transmission, AWD, sunroof, different interior colors and trims, etc. none of which the QV offers.

At least go test drive the Bimmer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Same old story... the product is excellent, but the corporation sucks. A bunch of people should be fired for shit like this
I had a less-than-pleasant buying experience with my car. All I could think about was how the hard work of dedicated engineers and designers goes into the wastebin thanks to greedy MBAs and salespeople plucked out of FCA showrooms.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,812 Posts
My local dealer ordered two 2020 Abarth Spiders. For reasons never made clear, neither one was built. I bought my Spider from the dealer in the adjacent county, so I guess the company got away with it.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You want to fire people because of a world wide supply chain issue?

Going to be a lot of people looking for jobs lol myself included.
No, for cancelling an order after 4 months without proper justification, apology or compensation.

They could have updated the customer saying there are issues and delays, and there is the option of either cancelling the order (refunding the deposit of course) or fulfilling it late with an extra discount. They did none of that because they don't feel like building '21 anymore, would rather switch to '22, and who cares about the customer who has been waiting all along.
I'd make the person that made the decision call the clients one by one and explain to them why it was cancelled

I don't understand your chagrin for the M3. Sure I don't think the front end is good design but we are all used to it now.
I don't know man, the car looks like has been chopped clean. If I owned it, I would gasp every time I saw those beaver teeth.
The opposite effect of the Giulia, which every time makes me smile for how pretty she is.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,959 Posts
No, for cancelling an order after 4 months without proper justification, apology or compensation.

They could have updated the customer saying there are issues and delays, and there is the option of either cancelling the order (refunding the deposit of course) or fulfilling it late with an extra discount. They did none of that because they don't feel like building '21 anymore, would rather switch to '22, and who cares about the customer who has been waiting all along.
I'd make the person that made the decision call the clients one by one and explain to them why it was cancelled

I don't know man, the car looks like has been chopped clean. If I owned it, I would gasp every time I saw those beaver teeth.
The opposite effect of the Giulia, which every time makes me smile for how pretty she is.

View attachment 114596
I saw one on the road last week and believe me, it looks way better in the pictures. The whole front of the car is just "wrong", not just the grill.

It smells like someone in the corporate chain is trying to force Alfa to fail, maybe so they can shut down the factory with reduced complaints from the labor unions/government.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I had two MY21 QVs (Giulia and Stelvio) on order, with Batman specs on both—canceled. Went ahead and ordered a MY22 Giulia QV in Ocra GT and a MY22 Veloce Stelvio in the same spec I have now—due to the significant lack of options/colors. I’m not optimistic about promised delivery of either as I don’t have VINs yet…

·
Registered
233 Posts

View attachment 114596
I see where you're coming from but I still think you should at least drive it. People are even getting them as MSRP or slightly discounted outside of California. Maybe a darker color will hide the grille more?

Again I do agree the front design is a bit obnoxious but I'm used to it now and have embraced the car's F you attitude. I just convince myself it looks bold and disctinctive. If it weren't for the existence of the M2, the M4 could very well be my next car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What a dumpster fire, both the situation and Alfa’s handling of it.

I'm in the same boat as Mv with a similar sob story. Like him, I fell in love with the Giulia and had to have one. Unlike him, I opted for a loaded 2021 Ti Sport Carbon rather than the QV. I also ordered in early April through Strongsville and was quoted delivery in July/August, though I knew going in that this schedule would be "flexible" to say the least.

Once June passed and there was no progress, I started to get nervous. The dealer and Alfa both assured me that they had the requisite parts to build the car (including all of the CF, microchips, steel, aluminum, glass, rubber, plastic, leather, wires, tape, etc.) and that there were just delays at the factory. Fine. I was told mid-July production, then early August. I was skeptical that it would actually get built at this point, but the dealer told me he had spoken directly with the factory rep and had been assured all of the customer ordered MY21 cars would be built. August rolls around, and I call to get a status update. Lo and behold, order cancelled! From what I gather, it sounds like Alfa Italy blindsided Alfa NA, but who knows.

What's ludicrous is that they definitely had the parts. This is not some supply chain related shortage. A poster on the UK forum ordered essentially an equivalent car to mine (Veloce Ti) after my order went in, and his had already shipped by end of July. Seems like Alfa is trying desperately to fail in North America.

At this point, most of the 2021s are sold and I'm pressed to find one specced how I'd like. I have no interest in a 2022 - no carbon package, no adaptive suspension, and I'm really not a fan of the sport wheels. I'm debating whether to pull the trigger on a QV, but I worry about the lack of AWD. (Gotta be able to get to work 24/7, rain or shine, and we get some snow/ice on our hilly roads.) What’s more, Alfa only offered me 1/4 the "compensation" that they did Mv, which is a real slap in the face - it’s not like my car was 1/4 the price.

Still trying to decide whether it’s worth the headache of continuing with Alfa. You gotta figure those who go through the headache waiting MONTHS longer for an ordered car from Alfa than they would from the competition are die-hard Alfisti. If this is how they treat us before they get our money, what’s it going to be like once they’ve got it? Need only read some of the customer service horror stories on this board for a clue, I guess… I probably should have known better.

I really wish the competition could put something together that at least came close to the Giulia - that would make this a lot easier.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts