Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
It is torque vectoring. I do not know exactly what is sensed.
It is electronic. I believe it uses clutch packs like an LSD, but is electronically operated instead of using spring loaded ramps to mechanically sense the difference in torque going to the wheels.

Nothing past the end of the crankshaft is going to add to the power of Giulia (note: another engine/motor would be able to do so, as seen on high performance hybrids). The objective is to get more power transferred to the ground.

I don't think it limits power. By letting more power get transferred to the ground you can use more throttle.

It clearly wastes some power when it is activated, as witnessed by the overheating issues. Note that there is probably less power wastage from activating the clutches in the differential than by spinning a wheel. LSDs also waste some power when activated. Jag E-types with their inboard mounted rear brakes and LSD are famous for overheating. Jag provided a kit to force air over the assembly, through the trunk and out a vent mounted on the trunk lid. Some folks simply stuck a 2x4 block of wood under the trunk lid and then wired the lid down.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If it is anything like the sport e-diff in S4 it just adds more torque to the outer rear wheel in comparison to the inner wheell, effect is similar to slight oversteer and helps you get out of the corner under power....those usually have as input steering angle, speed, throttle etc and then electronically decide on amount of torque to send to each wheel (hence term torque vectoring), unlike mechanical limited slip diff which has mechanically set level of allowed difference

On audis these were initially plagued with problems, they leaked, overheated etc but they sorted the stuff in later production years....S4 also really needed it because of heavy nose and excessive understeer, on QV you will probably feel it only in really spirited driving or on track

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Torque as opposed to "power" as the OP wrote. That's what he meant. Thanks for the links. You had me thinking of the Mini "Twinie" that was on Chasing Classic Cars lately.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Also good info in this thread.

Hoping torque-vectoring rear diff is as good as reviewed in ATS-V. E-diff + Alfa's version of traction management are the "magic" that makes us average joe's look good & safely enjoy QV power levels.

I think I read one review where someone didn't think they worked as seamlessly as in other competitors...but hey, I'd love to try it myself!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts