Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Giulia for about 4 days now and have noticed the buckle part of the seat belt sits in a bad spot on my hip. Anyone know of a way to shorten/move the actual buckle part?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
A safety item unlikely to be touched by any dealer. Do you sit with the seat all the way back? A bit of cushioning may be the answer. I find removing my wallet helps on long drives. Just need to remember where I put it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately where I position the seat makes the buckle itself rest on my right hip and after about 20 minutes or so it starts to feel like it is pushing in and becomes uncomfortable. Was hoping there was some way to either shorten it or lengthen it to get it away from my hip.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
Hmmm, maybe wedge something (not too firm, though) between the seat and the buckle?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
That is a big safety thing. Be careful you don't void your warranty. You may want to talk to your dealer first. They may want you to have this done at a professional upholstery shop.

When I replaced the seat belts in my 1970 Ford F250, the replacements were far from stock and I had a similar issue. The buckle was over my hip bone and seemed like it could be a real problem if was actually had to use it (crash). The buckle just might break my hip.

My wife is a seamstress (hobby). We went to a sewing shop and bought heavy duty thread similar to what the belts had been stitched with. She carefully removed the stitching at the end where it attaches to the vehicle.

I measured and cut the nylon. Then melted the cut end to prevent fraying.

She stitched it together using the same pattern as the manufacture had done.

It looks just as good as it did originally. We even were able to match the thread color.

Now the buckle is down near the seat, away from causing injury or discomfort. I feel safe. I have no reason to think they will fail. We did this to all three buckles, it's a big bench seat.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,735 Posts
That is a big safety thing. Be careful you don't void your warranty. You may want to talk to your dealer first. They may want you to have this done at a professional upholstery shop.

When I replaced the seat belts in my 1970 Ford F250, the replacements were far from stock and I had a similar issue. The buckle was over my hip bone and seemed like it could be a real problem if was actually had to use it (crash). The buckle just might break my hip.

My wife is a seamstress (hobby). We went to a sewing shop and bought heavy duty thread similar to what the belts had been stitched with. She carefully removed the stitching at the end where it attaches to the vehicle.

I measured and cut the nylon. Then melted the cut end to prevent fraying.

She stitched it together using the same pattern as the manufacture had done.

It looks just as good as it did originally. We even were able to match the thread color.

Now the buckle is down near the seat, away from causing injury or discomfort. I feel safe. I have no reason to think they will fail. We did this to all three buckles, it's a big bench seat.
Hmmm, the lap part of a seat belt is supposed to run across the front part of your hip. The chances of being injured by the belt goes up dramatically if it goes anywhere else. Your hip bone is a lot stronger than your lower abdomen. The buckle should be on the side of your hip or lower, otherwise this rigid component may cause injury.

Also, the recommended distance for an average size person from the steering wheel is 12" (30cm) from center of the wheel to your sternum. This is a lot closer than many people naturally position themselves. It improves control of the steering wheel and reduces fatigue on long drives compared to sitting farther back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts