Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Alfa Romeo is attempting to play with the big boys (the Germans) as they mount a comeback. They definitely have a chance of making a strong comeback and even eclipsing some of the strong vehicles that BMW and Mercedes-Benz have on the market at the moment. The Giulia QV is aimed squarely at the BMW M3 and Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG, and it actually outperforms them on a number of metrics.

The most obvious statistic to talk about first is horsepower. The Giulia QV has over 500 Hp. Neither the BMW M3 or the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG have reached that output. The BMW M3 comes with 425 HP and the Mercedes-Benz C63 has 469 HP. That makes the Giulia the most powerful of this bunch, and it translates to speed too.

BMW M3

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG

The Giulia QV set a record at the Nurburgring finishing its lap in 7:43. That's faster than anything the Germans have toured 'round the track. Part of what contributed to that record setting lap is the Giulia's impressive power to weight ratio. It is indeed a lighter vehicle than its rivals at 3,360 lbs.

It has a 50:50 weight distribution that is achieved through short overhangs, a long hood, and a long wheelbase.

All these are great reasons to choose the Alfa Romeo Giulia QV over its competitors, but things aren't so simple. The biggest challenge will be for the Giulia QV's ability to overcome the brand loyalty that many customers feel to individual brands and the German auto industry as a whole. On top of that, the Giulia is by no means an bad looking car, in fact it's quite good looking, but looks are subjective and it is impossible to tell if people will like the Giulia's styling so much so that they'd choose it over the Germans.

·
Registered
277 Posts
What will make Alfa a success or not is not the QV vs the M3. But how cheaply they can offer lease deals on base white 4 cylinder Giulia sedans. They need to get the $300/month crowd in 328's and A4's right now ;)

You also forgot about the Audis... AND the C63 S kicks out 510 hp...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the S version though. The regular AMG version isn't quite so high.

We will know about the base models soon, but base models do well because they are appropriately costed, have good style, and feel good to drive. The performance end has a lot more to do with the speed and driving experience. Do you think that the Giulia can do well in both circumstances?

·
Registered
277 Posts
That is the S version though. The regular AMG version isn't quite so high.

We will know about the base models soon, but base models do well because they are appropriately costed, have good style, and feel good to drive. The performance end has a lot more to do with the speed and driving experience. Do you think that the Giulia can do well in both circumstances?
They're both still C63 AMG's...You can't just ignore the S just because it doesn't fit the narrative.

I personally don't think so. Alfa has always been a brand for petrol heads, they'll love the QV. I'm not so sure jane smith knows what alfa is, let alone thinks it will impress her friends...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I personally would like it to succeed and draw some people away from BMW and Mercedes but it may be hard to overcome BMW's brand loyalty and both German brands are a more common name than Alfa Romeo.

May be up to how they market and price the base model.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're both still C63 AMG's...You can't just ignore the S just because it doesn't fit the narrative.

I personally don't think so. Alfa has always been a brand for petrol heads, they'll love the QV. I'm not so sure jane smith knows what alfa is, let alone thinks it will impress her friends...
But when you look at the price tags, the AMG is more comparable. That's how I see it anyway.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I personally would like it to succeed and draw some people away from BMW and Mercedes but it may be hard to overcome BMW's brand loyalty and both German brands are a more common name than Alfa Romeo.

May be up to how they market and price the base model.
It will draw some people away but i'm not sure if they can steal the spotlight, or not yet, for me it will take seeing how well it sells on the market.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will draw some people away but i'm not sure if they can steal the spotlight, or not yet, for me it will take seeing how well it sells on the market.
The people that go for Alfa would have been looking for an alternative to the Germans from the start anyway. They are the people that may have been looking at Cadillac, or Jaguar as an alternative instead anyway. That's how I see it at least.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I can see Jaguar with the XE being one of them, but with alfa quickly catching up, the dedicated Alfa fans will switch over to Alfa in time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
But when you look at the price tags, the AMG is more comparable. That's how I see it anyway.
LOL...

AGAIN, the C63 and C 63 S are BOTH AMG's...

and LOL 2.0, the C63 S is priced at 86,037 euros... the Giulia QV carbon pack comes in at 95,000 euros...

I did look at the price tags, that's how I knew you were wrong... ;) 0:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL...

AGAIN, the C63 and C 63 S are BOTH AMG's...

and LOL 2.0, the C63 S is priced at 86,037 euros... the Giulia QV carbon pack comes in at 95,000 euros...

I did look at the price tags, that's how I knew you were wrong... ;) 0:)
There is a less expensive verion of the Giulia. I'm just saying that there are different versions of both vehicles that come at different prices. Sure, you should compare all of them.

I know they are both AMGs, you just seem to like to pick out things for the sake of it. Fine, do it. But it's not like you are really contributing anything by just knit picking at the information that I posted up.

Laughing at people doesn't make a very friendly community. :|

·
Registered
18 Posts
First of all the Nurburgring Record is 7:39 not 7:43

As for the price you should compare price tags in the same country, not price in Italy with price in Germany. To make an example the Giulia Quadrifoglio Launch Edition* price tag is 95.000 euros in Italy, 94.000 in France and 90.000 in Germany. The "SE" Giulia Quadrifoglio has a price tag of 79.000 euros in Italy and 72.000 euros in Germany.

Italy
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio 79,000
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Launch Edition 95,000
BMW M3 78,950
Mercedes Benz C63 AMG 80,440
Mercedes Benz C63 S AMG 89,830

Germany
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio 72,000
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Launch Edition 90,000
BMW M3 71,800
Mercedes Benz C63 AMG 76,100.5
Mercedes Benz C63 S AMG 84,371

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
5k difference. Can you buy the Giulia in one country and drive it back? Or will the registration fees and additional tax make it not worth the time?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you think its smart for Alfa Romeo to price the Giulia QV above all its competitors? Alfa Romeo wants people to try something different with the Giulia, and they have to pay more to do that. Just seems like pricing a bit closer to its competitors would have taken away that cost concern from the equation. Though once you are up into this range of pricing, perhaps 5,000 Euros is not really significant.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you're going to spend so much on a car that $5 doesn't make that much of a difference and even though the QV's price is not feasible for most they still have a lower priced base model.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.