Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's NYC and the temp is colder than usual, 50s when it was 80s all week, and it's raining hard, first time in over a week.

PSI was normal as I drove tonight to a restaurant and then parked by it. The only places to park were by a big puddle. My front passenger tire sat in a big puddle for probably 2 hours. I think my rear passenger did too, but that car didn't report any issue with that tire.

As soon as I got back in the car, the tpms light came on. I drove home (I went slow and was close enough) and when I got home, I could hear the sound of leaking air. It sounded like a cricket was trying to eat it's way through something, it was that loud. I checked all over the tire, inside and outside sidewall, and all 360 of the surface and couldn't find anything sticking in/out of it. So I filled up the tire (to 36psi) and went to bed. Just woke up and checked now with an analogue gauge and I'm between 15-20 PSI

Could parking in a puddle really have caused a flat? I suppose something sharp could have been hiding in the puddle. 馃檨

Registered
Bad Karma. No, I don't think just being wet would cause a leak. As for bad luck, several years ago, put new tires on my Jag, and then drove about ten miles, and hit some road debris and blew one of my brand new tires.

I make sure to keep snug caps on my fill stems to keep any grit out and hinder a good seal. You might air up and put some soapy water on your stem and see it you need a new clean little spring thingy. NV

Registered
Even if the Schrader valve was exposed (without a cap), just sitting in water wouldn't "do it in" in 2, or even 3 hours. It keeps air in and conversely water would be kept out. It's dirt/debris that gets in and then lodges in between the plastic seal and valve shaft that eventually cause them to leak. Every time you press it in air pushes outwards making it that much harder for dirt to get in....

More likely while driving that right front tire hit something in the road as you were nearing the restaurant, more so than something in the puddle punctured it, which would be very unlucky.

My experience with run flat tires goes back to 2004. (I'm guessing others on here may go back even further as I think exotic cars got them first, mine was with a 2004 AWD Toyota Sienna). I've kept them ever since. I did have an unusual experience with Dunlop Sport 4000T DSST tires, yes more than one did this, where they'd all of a sudden, (while driving), develop a pinhole in the tread. The pinhole was so small that it was very difficult to almost impossible to see. Inflated/While leaking, I could slowly run my hand around the tire until I felt the point where the air was gushing out the hole. I asked the thoughts of the tire tech at the store and he concluded something punctured it. In my opinion, I could not possibly think of anything that small strong enough to penetrate the steel, (or whatever other strong material they use), belt. (Remember the term steel belted radial)? My personal conclusion was defective tire. I then switched to Pirelli run flats. I tried to search the specific model as I'm out of town and found they've been discontinued. Hmmm...

(I highly recommend tire road hazzard warranty, especially if they cover longer than 3 years that some short plans cover). If you have a Discount Tire (use www.tires.com to find a location) that's where I go. Their contract notes a shortish time period but in actuality they verbally told me roughly 10 years from manufacturer, after which they will not service a tire, only replace it. Costco, and Sam's Club are also places with good warranties.

You may find a strange phenomenon after purchasing such warranties that you suddenly no longer need them. I would say roughly 2 tires out of the last 10 that I purchased road hazzard warranty took advantage of it. AND one of the two was my wife driving about 500 mi round trip to Las Vegas and not catching the low pressure telltale/warning in the Giulia. Is that Murphy's Law? BUT if you think about it, paying that 10% fee to keep the tire from going flat due to Murphy's Law or whatever is worth it to me....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Registered
Could be a nail or screw that you don鈥檛 see. Maybe between the treads if you have pirelli. They say you can鈥檛 plug them but I have in past and it鈥檚 lasted just fine. Could also be faulty valve stem. I know hitting potholes in QV is pretty much a daily occurrence for me. The pirelli are the worst of all tires as far as sidewall bubbles. One reason I stopped using them. That and performance. Hope you figure it out. I keep spare tires in garage. Always trying to buy used ones off forum or other places. It鈥檚 worth it for days like this.

Registered
2020 Giulia QV
I doubt just parking in a puddle could have caused a flat, but I guess cold enough water could contribute to low tire pressure resulting in the bead unseating. Try filling a spray bottle with soapy water, inflate the tire, and then spray the soapy water around where the wheel meets the tire. The water should bubble around the leak when you find it. If not, you can also spray around the rest of the tire to try find a puncture that may not be readily visible.

If it is a matter of the bead unseating, that would be pretty rare on a healthy wheel. Hopefully not, but particularly given that you're in NYC, I would check to make sure the wheel itself isn't bent or cracked. I've no idea what caused the first flat(s) to make this yet another, which is why I suggest checking. Also possible that the tire wasn't mounted correctly in the first place, so really hope it isn't a full wheel that needs replaced.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to try the soap and water suggestion. I felt through each tread groove and couldn't feel anything

I don't think the wheel is bent only because I have the 5 hole and I feel like those crack rather than bend and I couldn't find a crack in it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire is completely flat, under 10psi, but after filling it up and spraying it with soap water, I don't see a single bubble 馃し馃徎

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a nail! I finally felt it with my hands

I'm sure the dealer will try and patch instead of replace the tire. Anyone know how fast/hard you can go on a patched tire (I'm talking dealer patching and not the fix kit that comes with the car)

Reactions: Alfa Philly

Registered
2020 Giulia QV
Sucks, but I'll take a nail in a tire over a bent wheel any day. Provided that it isn't in the sidewall, I've driven patched tires just as hard as unpatched on a few different cars. Mind you that was patched from the inside of the tire, not plugged. Wouldn't suggest tracking with them, but if you're not driving like a complete lunatic on the street, it should be fine.

If it were me I'd take it to a local tire shop I trust rather than the dealer to patch a tire. However, completely up to you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sucks, but I'll take a nail in a tire over a bent wheel any day. Provided that it isn't in the sidewall, I've driven patched tires just as hard as unpatched on a few different cars. Mind you that was patched from the inside of the tire, not plugged. Wouldn't suggest tracking with them, but if you're not driving like a complete lunatic on the street, it should be fine.

If it were me I'd take it to a local tire shop I trust rather than the dealer to patch a tire. However, completely up to you.
Well occasionally I go to Mexico and hit triple digits if the road is empty, but on some of those highways, cruising at 90 isn't uncommon as well a changing lanes. I really hope they just change the tire.

But you're right, better the tire than the wheel

Registered
When I picked up my Giulia 2 weeks ago, I got a flat tire 45 minutes from the dealer! I felt/heard a "Pong" as I ran over something I didn't see and then the TPMS lit up about 5 minutes later. There's more to this story but the readers digest version is: I got the tire repaired, it was a nail and I asked the guy if it was permanent and was there anything I should worry about in the future. He said it was a permanent repair and would not compromise the tire in anyway. The tire is an all but new Pirelli P7 run flat. This was a large tire shop that does cars, trucks , heavy equipment and everything else that has tires.So assuming its a professional repair I'm not sure there would be anything to worry about.

Registered
2020 Giulia QV
As the other two said, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only thing I'll add is that depending upon how old the current tires are, if you do replace one my preference is to replace both to keep L/R wear consistent. That is one of those somewhat debatable things and I tend to err on the side of caution.

Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
My experience is that Pirelli tires have an appetite for roofing nails and sheet metal screws.

Registered
...Could parking in a puddle really have caused a flat? I suppose something sharp could have been hiding in the puddle. 馃檨
No, but like you said, who knows what was in that puddle or what you ran over on the way there.
Just make sure the repair place uses the correct patch and procedure - the use of 'plugs' is not considered a proper repair, the tire needs to be dismounted and (correct me if I'm wrong) I think they need to use a mushroom patch/plug installed from the inside.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have hit 180 wit a plug tire. It鈥檚 fine.
You were also in Mexico I see 馃槀

That's good to know though that others have been fine plugged.

Reactions: Alfa Philly

Registered
Flat tires come in waves. You will get 2 in a few months and then go three years.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Flat tires come in waves. You will get 2 in a few months and then go three years.
In my case it's weeks and months 馃槀馃槶

Got a flat on the way to the dealer going in to get my Summers put on, only to find I had a nail stuck in one of the tires I took off the car.

I just need to move out of NYC

Reactions: Pegasi

Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Patches work fine and no issues w speed.
My last flat was the sidewall. Tire compressed into side of rim and split open.
No fixing that

1 - 20 of 23 Posts