Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in love with the Quad, but since we keep our cars for 10+ years, I fear what ownership will be like during these 10+ years given the (deserved or not) tainted Italian reputation. During the 4 year warranty period, is my car going to be in the shop often relegating me to drive a Chrysler 300 Enterprise loaner? I have 1 dealer in my area which is about 30 miles away from my home. I like wrenching on my cars. Will I be able to perform the recommended service intervals myself (such as changing spark plugs and fluids) while under warranty without affecting my warranty? After the warranty is over, am I going to be able to get parts for this? Will there be DIY tutorials available for this car similar to M3's and C63's?

From an existing Quad owner's perspective, what has ownership been like? More or less problems than your typical M3 or C63S? How many miles do you have?

I appreciate the honest input.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I’m probably not the one to talk here, had much of the same questions. They told me on the site relax and drive the car. I’m glad they did because so far they have been right. Every car has a issue now an then. It engineered and build by man and machines. What are we talking over 30K parts that have to work together here under the harshest conditions? I can say a lot of thought and research went into this vehicle and it shows. It is a solid ride i have a 2017 and it’s been good so far, my only concern is replacing tires and getting tickets.

The reliability reports I’ve read said out of the 37 brands tested AR was 5. MB and BMW didn’t make the top 10 so if that the bench mark I’d say not only are you good you’re a couple steps up. Don’t see why you can’t wrench on it later like all things as time passes I’m sure there will be more and more out there. Kind a happy there’s not more now to me that means the car is working and fixers are not. But if nothing else enjoy it now that’s why you got it right. You are covered for the next 4 year if you don’t see it working like you want sell and move on. I understand I’m like you in i keep them awhile last one 17 years so did my research. AR has a lot riding on this so if it wasn’t ready I don’t think we would havone right now they definitely have more to lose then we do.

ALfatech may be able to address some of your concerns if you still have them but me i let mine go and the car has been fine and i have definitely had more fun and less stress since doing so.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do have issues with my QV, but they would not make me reconsider my purchase in retrospect. Any new car these days should be able to make 100K without any major mechanical problems. Alfa's 50K 4y warranty is better than what BMW and MB offer. Extra attention from FCG head quarters to ensure AR brand successful market return also helps.
In my experience, most issues are surfacing in first few month of car ownership, but after that it's just routine maintenance. I am not sure if my experience will be applicable to sports car, since this is my first. We shall see.

Before you ask, issues I am having:
-hood not opening at times. Common QV issues, addressed by adjusting sprint tension.
-sensitive alarm. Hopefully dealer can adjust it tomorrow
-external plastic strip on the bottom of the windshield coming off. Have not hear of anyone have this issue before, we shall see what can be done, but it's more cosmetic than functional.

And that's about it.

Overall, I am getting an impression that QVs are getting more attention during manufacturing, as there are less recalls for them and less software updates. I have heard some saying that QV is what was originally designed by Ferrari folks, and Ti is mass market adoption.

While I am like OP, holding to cars for as long as it makes sense, I agree with Sensei that if you are no happy with your purchase, you can always sell it and move on. There are a lot of hungry people to "get a deal" for best car of the year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@Sensei - Thanks for the words of assurance! I'm feeling a great deal of anxiety when I read all the Jalopnik articles and the major magazine reviews citing the quality issues and i'm nervous about buying a new car and then constantly having issues with it. I'm assuming when you say Northern FL, that you are in Jacksonville as am I. How many miles is on your '17?

@maraca - Why do you say that Alfa's 50k, 4 year warranty is better than BMW or Merc's? BMW and Merc (and all luxury brands for that matter) also have a 4 year 50K warranty. I think they even include free service as well, but that may not apply to the M series cars or AMG series cars, i'm not sure. The issues you mention are no big deal at all, and seem similar to the issues I experienced on my 2004 BMW 530i while it was under warranty. I still have this car and it's creeping up on 200K miles and is in great shape!

·
Registered
399 Posts
You are welcome. Are you in Jacksonville? I’ve read most of the magazine articles as well. You know everyone will have a opinion and something to say. If you wait for perfect reviews you will never make a purchase lol. For many years I went with Japanese autos for reliability and cost. Cost of purchase and ownership Infinity,Lexus and Acura and they are reliable and very low maintenance at least all the ones I’ve owned.

So the Q.V. impressed me so much it’s my first European purchase since 1982. I never hear Ferrari reliability in question and that’s really who designed the Q.V. and if what I’ve been told is true the Q.V. was there there first and the base the TI ..... model was fitted to the line up instead of vise versa. That’s doing it correct in my opinion because it’s easier to put in a turbo 4 then retro fitting a bi-turbo 6 into a 4 cylinder space.

The quality is there this car will do well I truly believe this. But I do know it’s a machine I know most Q.V. owners don’t believe this I have a hard time saying it. My wife calls her my girlfriend and told me I need to stop buying jewelry for her lol. But it mechanical no matter how well engineered it can fail. As I think about it, its better that way as apposed to human. If it brakes a machine can be fixed.

Enjoy your car who knows? I could say all this get in mine and it blow up, don’t crank .... does that mean AR makes a bad car? No means I need to get mine fixed. But if this happens disproportionately across the board there’s a problem until then I’m not going worry about what could when I have no evidence or statis to support that. I’m going to enjoy that joyful sound she makes under acceleration and deceleration the way she beats a ribbon of asphalt Into submission just the pure joy of being behind the wheel of this great example of Italian engineering.

Bottom line just have fun. Enjoy the ride for as long as it last.

·
Registered
691 Posts
In regards to Jalopnik they posted a follow up article where the Alfa community reamed them a new one. It was quite entertaining and many of the rebuttal letters had very good points refuting Jalopniks first article. It's worth the read.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Sensei - Yes, i'm in Jacksonville. I'm going to try to schedule a test drive with Orange Park Alfa/Maserati some time this week. I test drove the TI last May 2017 and wasn't overly impressed after testing an M3 and a C63S. I'm looking forward to it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
@Noone - my bad, MB and BMW do have same warranty, that is better than industry average of 3y/36K. To be honest, I was not even considering MB or BMW as to me, there are way to many of them out there. I like non-ordinary things and QV certainly fits this category. I carefully read "Issues" posts and to my surprise there were very few related to QV.

I was not impressed with Ti, but I drove it after Lexus LS460 f-sport so maybe it had something to do with it. But the moment I sat behind the wheel of QV, I could not let it go of my mind and kept coming back to it. Word of advice - do not corner it in Race mode during test drive, unless you know what you doing. In race mode traction control is disabled, so it's very easy to get sideways and off the road if you are not expecting it.

I am still smiling like crazy when driving it down the street. Still having euphoria, even after 1500 miles...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
We are banking on it

We bought our QV we have an 8 year 125,000 warranty and plan on keeping her for longer. So that is our position. I don't look further than that other than how soon is my next drive.

One thing. I am interested to know how many of the buybacks have been QV related. I see stuff with Ti Sport but that could be because they probably sold the most of those and the one I was going to get before I said screw it my husband loved the CF seats (really smitten and honestly I get it now) brakes are impressive to other people not me but there is no mistaking that ride. I will say I will be doing the mod on the exhaust system some day to make her growl just a little bit more in all modes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We bought our QV we have an 8 year 125,000 warranty and plan on keeping her for longer. So that is our position. I don't look further than that other than how soon is my next drive.

One thing. I am interested to know how many of the buybacks have been QV related. I see stuff with Ti Sport but that could be because they probably sold the most of those and the one I was going to get before I said screw it my husband loved the CF seats (really smitten and honestly I get it now) brakes are impressive to other people not me but there is no mistaking that ride. I will say I will be doing the mod on the exhaust system some day to make her growl just a little bit more in all modes.
All of the used Quads listed right now on Autotrader, etc. that were auctioned by the manufacturer (you can check the Carfax) were manufacturer demos or buybacks. I even checked a few on Mannheim which are going up for auction soon and they are also both buybacks. Makes me a little uneasy to buy used, much less new. The struggling sales of the car also has me worried. Maybe it’s not warranted. That’s why I’m soliciting honest feedback here from real owners.

Hopefully more will chime in soon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
@ Noone. Be warned, that these opinions are biased, since we all have QVs and love them. I heard another opinion here that once you drive QV and not immediately start thinking on how you going to organize financing for it, it's probably safer to go with something like Lexus or German origin brand. There is also another live thread where people were comparing their Alfa ownership experience with Audi and finding it equal or better. It does depend however, if you have good dealership around to service Alfas if needed. It sounds like you have Maserati/Alfa dealer and those seem to be on a better side than Fiat/Alfa.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can’t compare the QV’s reliability to an M or AMG because I have not owned those. For my QV I have about 2,500 miles. 2 minor issues but no big deal. One was the hood not popping up (which is common). Second was a trim piece under a passenger window which started coming off. Both issues were fixed no problem.

It seems that anytime anyone has a more than cosmetic problem is is due to a software issue which is usually easily dealt with by the dealer. I have not heard of any mechanical issues that I can recall.

I wouldn’t consider M’s or AMG’s to be a bastion of reliability. They are all performance cars with tight tolerances. They are all moody to some extent....that’s how I see it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Also before you buy check with Jim at Alfa of Strongsville (Ohio). I live in Florida also and was annoyed that the dealers here would not negotiate the price. Jim gave me a great deal.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Quad Reliability

I'm in love with the Quad, but since we keep our cars for 10+ years, I fear what ownership will be like during these 10+ years given the (deserved or not) tainted Italian reputation. During the 4 year warranty period, is my car going to be in the shop often relegating me to drive a Chrysler 300 Enterprise loaner? I have 1 dealer in my area which is about 30 miles away from my home. I like wrenching on my cars. Will I be able to perform the recommended service intervals myself (such as changing spark plugs and fluids) while under warranty without affecting my warranty? After the warranty is over, am I going to be able to get parts for this? Will there be DIY tutorials available for this car similar to M3's and C63's?

From an existing Quad owner's perspective, what has ownership been like? More or less problems than your typical M3 or C63S? How many miles do you have?

I appreciate the honest input.
Wow...a lot to chime in on here.....I've had my Quad since May 2017....10,500 miles....Needed two software updates...car did not fail, just stayed in "N" mode....Not "Limp" mode....couldn't switch between "A", "N", "D", and "R"...car reved and drove perfectly, brakes and steering not effected....After an oil change, the odometer was flashing (wasn't doing this before)...5 days later car suffered complete shut down...turned out the wiring harness was stripped of its outer insulation and was damaged....Wiring harnesses are modular so that section was replaced...Loaner was supplied...that was at 8500 miles...no issues since...I have a relatively early build car (March 2017)....So those were the blips on the radar....I intend to keep this car for a long time as I expect it will be fine going forward (I own 2 other Alfas and I've owned 6 in my life, many of which were daily drivers)....As I approach the end of the factory warranty, if I intend on keeping it, I will buy an extended warranty....Really don't have any concern....Now, on the other hand, if you feel BMW and Mercedes are "reliable"....You'll find the Alfa to be bullet proof....There is nothing worse than owning an Audi, BMW, Merc, or Porsche out of warranty....YIKES....buyer beware.....D :surprise:

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
My 2 Cents

@Noone...
NO ONE knows what the reliability will be for the QV or for ANY brand new platform car will be 10 years out...however as I keep my cars because I buy them I can offer you my experience.
1st no one includes maintenance anymore...BMW was the last to it with the model 2016 year cars that's why I bough a 2016 340 Xi M-Sport. Yes they cover some basic stuff but very far from what they used too. You can purchase maintenance contracts...
that said I came from an F80 M3 as some other forum members did here...and pound for pound the QV is much better than a stock M3, the difference gets smaller when compared to a Comp-Pak car, but the QV is still the better performer...and if you like to have something that you don't see on every corner you will really like the QV.
best advice you can get is hook yourself up with the proper dealer....many of the issues people have had are similar to others EXCEPT some people had better dealers to service their cars and the issues were taken care of properly..
Alfa/Maserati dealers tend to be better at servicing the cars...but that is not written in stone...like anything you will find good & bad...they just seem to be better equipped than say a Chrysler/Dodge/FIAT/Alfa dealer...
I have had BMWs and M cars for almost 30 years now...even with them..some were just problem free...one was almost bought back....service varied at dealers...but they were all really great cars to drive.....just like the Alfa QV:grin2:
Best of luck in your search
M

·
Registered
334 Posts
My QV has 13,200 miles on it over the last year and has been great. The only issue I've had has been a broken left headlight washer bracket, which the dealer replaced immediately. I've had the Qv for 14 months and have not regretted it a single day. Mine is a very early build 2017 (August 2016), if anything I enjoy the car now more than when I first got it. Everyone is always yammering about Alfa reliability, keep in mind :

1) Alfa has not been in the US since 1995, unless they're describing older Alfas or live in Europe\UK, what Alfa reliability are they talking about ??
2) The QV is a totally new design that shares nothing with front wheel drive Fiats, I don't care what peoples perceptions are of Fiats, they have nothing in common. Alfa's are even built in a dedicated plant in Cassino, there are no Fiats there to haunt them .....
3) The QV overall did have some early issues which appear to have been worked out. If the car is such a horrendous reliability mess, why does it get the reviews it does ?
4) I previously had two BMW's, and neither one was perfect or was trouble-free ....

The car is amazing, just enjoy it and relax ...... "Reliability" fears are the only things people can bring up that require no justification or backing proof. I personally love the car and don't want to see 4 of me coming and going every day.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
All of the used Quads listed right now on Autotrader, etc. that were auctioned by the manufacturer (you can check the Carfax) were manufacturer demos or buybacks. I even checked a few on Mannheim which are going up for auction soon and they are also both buybacks. Makes me a little uneasy to buy used, much less new. The struggling sales of the car also has me worried. Maybe it’s not warranted. That’s why I’m soliciting honest feedback here from real owners.

Hopefully more will chime in soon.
A buyback doesn't mean it is a problem car. It could have been a problem dealer/technician. If the warranty goes and you can extend it I would still consider one of those for the price. Honestly we went through the whole worried phase and we got the QV. What is the worst that can happen? A problem that my dealer can't resolve in 30 days and I get a new one for miles used? I can live with that as long as they stand behind their product. I say for all those on the fence maybe stay on the fence and wait it out. When the car proves itself which I believe and hope it will the discounting will shrink. So you roll the dice but I think I can speak for our experience so far is it is a stunner. Not sure why but she is a stunner and a total blast to drive. It is new so some issues go with that but I think if we go back to history I believe Alfa failed because it stood on its own and could not support it. Remember. It is Car or was car of the year and with a maker that according to some have a horrible history I would say the buy backs unless it is some percentage in its first couple years at least they buy back

·
Registered
334 Posts
Wow...a lot to chime in on here.....I've had my Quad since May 2017....10,500 miles....Needed two software updates...car did not fail, just stayed in "N" mode....Not "Limp" mode....couldn't switch between "A", "N", "D", and "R"...car reved and drove perfectly, brakes and steering not effected....After an oil change, the odometer was flashing (wasn't doing this before)...5 days later car suffered complete shut down...turned out the wiring harness was stripped of its outer insulation and was damaged....Wiring harnesses are modular so that section was replaced...Loaner was supplied...that was at 8500 miles...no issues since...I have a relatively early build car (March 2017)....So those were the blips on the radar....I intend to keep this car for a long time as I expect it will be fine going forward (I own 2 other Alfas and I've owned 6 in my life, many of which were daily drivers)....As I approach the end of the factory warranty, if I intend on keeping it, I will buy an extended warranty....Really don't have any concern....Now, on the other hand, if you feel BMW and Mercedes are "reliable"....You'll find the Alfa to be bullet proof....There is nothing worse than owning an Audi, BMW, Merc, or Porsche out of warranty....YIKES....buyer beware.....D :surprise:
Agree with Alfaholico on this one. I had a 1997 540i BMW that once it reached 125 K miles really gave me a lesson in what "sharing income with the service dealership" meant ........

·
Registered
67 Posts
6000 miles on mine, and my only service has been for a nail I picked up in the tire.

I bought the 8 year 125k mile warranty, and am starting to think I shouldn't have. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yeh. I have 8 years and 125,000 mile before I worry

Nothing like a good long warranty. I actually thought the 8 year and 125k miles was a good purchase. The way I drive cars I will reach the 8 years but I would like to get it to 101,000 which is when all cars start to go a little haywire. I do agree with everyone's input. If you gotta think maybe not. It was pretty funny, I was not even thinking QV,,,My husband didn't even test drive it, he drove the Ti Sport so the CF seats the big CCM and just like they said he was figuring out which stash was it going to be paid out of before I even knew he was scheming. Now he gets to drive it very little. I sorta like the ride and think I am the better driver>:) Okay, taking it first doesn't hurt

1 - 20 of 52 Posts