Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Should I purchase an extended warranty?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2017 Rosso-Alfa Ti with the sport, performance and driver assist packages. This Alfa is the best looking car I’ve laid my eyes upon and is orders of magnitude more fun to drive than all other Infiniti’s I have owned. From a poor man’s perspective, this is a Ferrari.

That being said, I’m growing concerned about potential reliability issues.

With a 2017 @ 44k miles with a clean car fax report that showed that this was a leased vehicle, my question is whether I should consider buying an extended warranty? Are the reliability issues just a perception carried over from the 80’s?

If I can and should purchase an extended warranty, I’d be grateful for any advice on where I should take my business.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just purchased a used 2017 Rosso-Alfa Ti with the sport, performance and driver assist packages. This Alfa is the best looking car I’ve laid my eyes upon and is orders of magnitude more fun to drive than all other Infiniti’s I have owned. From a poor man’s perspective, this is a Ferrari.

With a 2017 @ 44k miles with a clean car fax report that showed that this was a leased vehicle, my question is whether I should consider buying an extended warranty? Are the reliability issues just a perception carried over from the 80’s?

If I can and should purchase an extended warranty, I’d be grateful for any advice on where I should take my business.

Much appreciated!
i apologize if this topic is well discussed prior to my post.

·
Registered
789 Posts
congrats and welcome to the Cult.

It depends...

If you intend to keep the car and mods will be kept minimal, I'd suggest do so. A number of FCA dealers make a tidy business of selling heavily discounted, actual Mopar Maximum Care plans which basically are the gold standard, FCA factory service plans...

for instance, my '17 with 46,300 mi. got an extra 45,000 and 36 months from these folks:

would NOT consider anything but Mopar plans, because what do dudes from global call centers know about Alfas... gotta get it before 50,000 4 years elapse or price balloons or is unavail.

search "mopar extended warranties" for more info.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,163 Posts
Look at this site
It’s Ziegler auto group selling the Mopar warranty, use discount code “payinfull” for a nice discount
Bought my new 2018 Ti Sport Q2 almost 3 years ago. I’ve had a couple of issues (all electronic/electrical) taken care of under warranty. Hoping to keep the car for a few more years so i purchased the extended warranty from the site quoted above(using the discount code) last week.

I’m not too familiar with fixing cars, and these cars have a lot of electronics which would be near impossible for me to figure out. Without a second car, i figure its worth it for me.

Purely my opinion:
These cars have been on the road for a relatively short amount of time(less than 5 years or so).... so it’s fairly unknown how they will hold up with higher milages over the years ahead. Should anything happen, i’d imagine they’d be pretty expensive to fix.

Cheers

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,633 Posts
i went for a 2000klm round trip recently, out of warranty for almost a year, and didnt even bother to get roadside

followed up with two 600 klm round trips - all within a month

didnt consume a drop of coolant (after having had multiple coolant issues) and performance, acceleration and fuel consumption was better than ever

that is the level of confidence i have in the car - c'est la vie

btw - odometer = 81,000 + klms

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Yes.

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
if you plan on keeping the car past its warranty period, its a very good idea to get an extended warranty .
I have the ability to repair this car myself and l bought an extended warranty because parts alone on a major component will be very expensive .

as mentioned above get a Mopar plan, and get the Max Care....
I got a 7 year 60k plan with a 100 deductible for 900 bucks after discounts..I average about 7k miles a year so that was the best plan for me.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
524 Posts
Whatever you do DO NOT buy a third party warranty such as Zurich. There's a guy on the Stelvio forum who bought Zurich from an Alfa dealer-probably because the dealer got more commission from them. Now at 60K the guy has a problem and Zurich is stiffing him. With an Alfa warranty you've got FCA's backing.

·
Registered
2021 Ti Sport AWD Verde Visconti
85 Posts
This statement alone indicates YES. The warranty will alleviate those concerns.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
444 Posts
Man now I am tempted, with that pay in full code under $1900 for an 8 year warranty on my QV? Hard to say no....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
congrats and welcome to the Cult.

It depends...

If you intend to keep the car and mods will be kept minimal, I'd suggest do so. A number of FCA dealers make a tidy business of selling heavily discounted, actual Mopar Maximum Care plans which basically are the gold standard, FCA factory service plans...

for instance, my '17 with 46,300 mi. got an extra 45,000 and 36 months from these folks:

View attachment 109232

would NOT consider anything but Mopar plans, because what do dudes from global call centers know about Alfas... gotta get it before 50,000 4 years elapse or price balloons or is unavail.

search "mopar extended warranties" for more info.
thank you much

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,405 Posts
Unless you plan to heavily mod the car, then it's a resounding yes

Reactions: Jimmy’s

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Much appreciated!
Well crap, I tried to get a warranty but nobody is willing to cover it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I recently bought a 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport and a 2017 Ti Sport. I used Chryslerwarrantys.com for both. The Stelvio was $2102 and the Giulia was $1522 for a 4 year/60K extended warranty. Was well worth it to me for the peace of mind if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
112 Posts
@Jimmy’s

Leverage between the 2 consistently lowest priced Genuine FCA Warranty dealers in the US.

Google their names for references.

Tom Winkles at Hayes Jeep in Kalamazoo, MI
Call him at 269-488-2080 OR for an e-mail trail; [email protected]

Clay Robbins @ Robbins Motors.Com in Manhattan, KS (Large volume Jeep dealer)
Call him at 785-537-0357 OR for an e-mail trail: [email protected]

Hope that helps -

·
Registered
63 Posts
@Jimmy’s

Leverage between the 2 consistently lowest priced Genuine FCA Warranty dealers in the US.

Google their names for references.

Tom Winkles at Hayes Jeep in Kalamazoo, MI
Call him at 269-488-2080 OR for an e-mail trail; [email protected]

Clay Robbins @ Robbins Motors.Com in Manhattan, KS (Large volume Jeep dealer)
Call him at 785-537-0357 OR for an e-mail trail: [email protected]

Hope that helps -
Quoting just to keep this in my post history. Thanks

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Quoting just to keep this in my post history. Thanks
You can also bookmark the post by clicking the little ribbon icon next to the social media share icon

·
Registered
443 Posts
I might be in the minority, but I personally think that statistically speaking extended warranties are not worth it. I am sure FCA analyses the average repair data and sets the price of these warranties above what the actual repair would cost. I understand that it gives people a peace of mind and on individual level there will be some people who come out ahead, but overall for the entire population there will be more people who would have saved money going without the extended warranty. Otherwise why would FCA sell the warranty?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts