Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
See if you can find a wrecked model similar to what you want to upgrade (a wrecked QV if you have a QV) that has been hit in the rear and has an intact front clip and import that. Or maybe even a front clip.

I don't know if the mounts in the chassis are different, but you will likely need a tranmission, a driveshaft, a different ECU or transmission module if these cars have a separate one, clutch pedal, shifter and linkage, and a bunch of other ancillary parts. A front clip would give you nearly all of that except for maybe the drive shaft which you would have to source from Europe.
The carbon driveshaft alone will probably cost a pretty penny ..... ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
The carbon driveshaft alone will probably cost a pretty penny ..... ;)
Probably, but you can have a custom carbon driveshaft made from several places domestically for less than a couple grand.

I would imagine a front clip (if you could find one) would cost between $20k to $40k just as a guess (but then you would have an engine to sell), plus all of the labor and time. The driveshaft is the least of many worries.

Down the road you would maybe have a sought after collector piece if you did not put a ton of miles on it.

But if someone wanted just a badass four door with a stick, it is easier to just order a new M3 or Caddy Blackwing.

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Sprint
140 Posts
Save for a couple of years driving a 166 3.0 Sportronic and the semi automatic 156 Selespeed, all my drives since 1985 has been 4, 5 and 6-speed stick shifts, but I kinda like the challenge of re-learning how to properly drive a paddle shift torque converter. No way in hell I'd splash out $100k to get a stick just to have a stick, but I guess we all choose our battles differently.

Good luck with the project @pengtishanye !

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gonna be 20 years before importation is legal.

I fantasize about buying one in Europe and just shipping the necessary manual parts over to put in a US car to keep the US-Legal VIN. Probably has a different floorpan but everything else should be plug n play. You could actually do for your budget, about 45K for the US body and the rest to buy and import the European parts. You'd probably be limited to a 2017 QF since that's the only model year of U.S. Giulias when they had manuals in Europe and it would minimize any production differences. Alternately you could try to buy the manual parts from a dealer in Europe. I took a cursory glance and there are a lot of parts beyond trans & clutch, like wiring harnesses, etc. FYI not sure it would pass smog since the computer will be different.

Better to buy a rear-ended European wreck but the wrecked market is much more fragmented in Europe than the US where there's basically only 2 major players to check. They didn't make many so finding a wreck could require patience.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts