Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a giulia280hp, but it is automatic, can I convert it to manual transmission, if it can, what do I need to do, if not, what is the reason, thank you:)

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
What's your budget?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 White/Black, Performance Pkg., Leather Pkg., 35W Xenon, Static Assist, Sunroof, Navigation
196 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
waste of money and time.
especially when for ~50k EUR you could buy used manual QV and that was still like 7 seconds slower around Nordschleife than automatic

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
The total budget for the modification, including transplantation of the engine assembly and manual gearbox assembly, the total budget is about 100,000 U.S. dollars
I'd hope it could be done for less than that. In the end you'd have a very expensive (and perhaps wonderful) Giulia that could not be sold for anything near what it cost.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Giulia Ti Sport Q4
286 Posts
Sometimes doing things is worth doing just because it pushes the envelope or no one else has done it. Respect if that is your goal. But, to be honest if I was going to spend a $100,000US to convert a Giulia to manual, I would just buy a Carrera S in manual instead.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,457 Posts
The total budget for the modification, including transplantation of the engine assembly and manual gearbox assembly, the total budget is about 100,000 U.S. dollars

Not a problem. My PayPal is [email protected] and ill get you squared.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,746 Posts
Can you legally import a manual qv to the US?
I do not think so.

The expensive part of doing the conversion is designing a multi-Air 2 engine PCM that will not throw a CEL when it does not "see" the automatic transmission. I doubt that it can be done for $100,000 US, but I could be wrong. I don't think you could get away with hanging a TCM on the cable since it would not behave right when the ZF8 is not there--but I could be wrong. Also, keep in mind that the TCM is buried inside of the ZF8.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,457 Posts
It cannot be done for 100k but for 107.99k

∆∆∆∆∆ dont listen to him.

I can save you 7.99k over his price (we dont include clutch pedal) and the best thing about my work is that although its not the absolute highest quality it also comes with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied.

·
Registered
40 Posts
See if you can find a wrecked model similar to what you want to upgrade (a wrecked QV if you have a QV) that has been hit in the rear and has an intact front clip and import that. Or maybe even a front clip.

I don't know if the mounts in the chassis are different, but you will likely need a tranmission, a driveshaft, a different ECU or transmission module if these cars have a separate one, clutch pedal, shifter and linkage, and a bunch of other ancillary parts. A front clip would give you nearly all of that except for maybe the drive shaft which you would have to source from Europe.

I would post in the Euro forums and see if someone can point you to a source of a business that exports wrecked cars or clips. It is pretty easy for Japanese cars because there are a few importers on the west coast and you can find the front half of a Japanese performance car pretty easy. I don't know who imports Euro stuff. Another board I am on, one of the guys imports grey market Euro cars for himself, and I can PM him and see if he has anything to add, but he buys working cars.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts