Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of making my list for Santa ;) One item i'd like would be to get a decent torque wrench for track days and for eventually changing brakes / swapping winters wheels etc in the future and on a lift. Started googling but was overwhelmed by choices and funky tools so hence... can anyone recommend a decent kit or individual bits - would like a solution which has the correct torque setting for the Q4 on 18"s along with any protective lugs if that's what you use?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks bud. Do you have any special sockets to protect those wheels?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have some Craftsman deep sockets I picked up from Sears a while back. They are black but I don't recall them being anything special. Couldn't even tell you the model line.

Biggest thing I've learned is just taking my time, and definitely making sure to use deep sockets.

Edit: Also leverage is your friend. Breaker/extension bar is a must have

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I use a snapon digital torque wrench but this one is also good.
mainly because of OCDness of getting the torque down to an exact number. Buy it right but it once. Craftsman is awesome too.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
I would recommend CDI torque wrenches.

They used to manufacture the torque wrenches sold by Snap-On (I don't know if they still do), but they can be had under the CDI name for much less. They are still not cheap but this is a place where I feel spending a bit more for a top quality tool is worth it.

I have a Snap-On/CDI 1/2" wrench and it is just a joy to use and has held up well over the years.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I just use a 1/2 inch Pittsburgh torque wrench from Harbor Freight Tools. Runs about $20 I think. For home use it's plenty accurate and easy enough to use, just follow the instructions. If you go to get one, while you're at the store, hand-tighten it to make sure it tightens all the way to it's max setting; if it doesn't, don't buy that one. Keep checking them until you find one that does. For sockets get a metric deep socket set for a 1/2 inch wrench; they also have those at Harbor Freight. If the Quad uses the same lug bolts as the Ti, you'll need a 17mm for the stock lug bolts. The after-market lug bolts I bought have center locks, and the key uses a 19mm socket, so it doesn't hurt to have a set of metric sockets.

While you're there, get a 1/2 inch breaker bar as well, to loosen the lug bolts. Don't use the torque wrench as a breaker bar to loosen lug bolts or lug nuts; always use a breaker bar.

Set the lug bolts at 90 lbs of torque, and tighten them in a star pattern; always skipping the lug bolt right next to the one you just tightened. Tighten until you hear the torque wrench make a 'click-click' sound; that means you just reached your desired amount of torque. When you're all done, always make sure you untwist and unload the spring before putting it away; don't put it away twisted up to the torque setting.

It takes longer to read this than it does to actually set one up and use it. Keep it clean and in it's box when you aren't using it, and it'll last for years.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all this great information! I shall give it a detailed look after I fix the radient flooring in my house which decided to go mental at 3am last night...Anyone know a good HVAC in CT now lol? ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
FNM, if you have the clearance one wrap of electrical tape can help protect the wheel socket.

·
Registered
159 Posts
FNM, if you have the clearance one wrap of electrical tape can help protect the wheel socket.
^ this is true, OR you can get a set of lug sockets with plastic outer sleeves.
PS, I have the same torque wrench and also a craftman. Both work great. Have not taken the wheels off the Alfa yet, but in my other car, I use an impact to lightly tighten the wheels and then finish with the torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks. Yeah I liked the look of the plastic sleeves too. I'll do a little more research based on the feedback here and let you know what I go for

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
If you're torquing to 90 lbs, you won't really need a powered impact wrench. Those are generally for cars or trucks that are torqued to 140 lbs. Just break the lug bolt loose with a breaker bar, and they're easy to spin off with a deep socket and just using your fingers. I just did this to change my wheels. The other nice thing about it is you tend to be careful when doing this, so it doesn't damage the finish of your wheels.

Here's a 1/2 inch breaker bar that works fine:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-18-in-breaker-bar-60818.html

These will give you all the metric deep socket sizes you'll need:

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-pc-12-in-drive-metric-color-coded-deep-socket-set-67872.html

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use a snapon digital torque wrench but this one is also good. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-ARM6...2200&sr=1-1&keywords=electronic+torque+wrench mainly because of OCDness of getting the torque down to an exact number. Buy it right but it once. Craftsman is awesome too.
Just an update - I went with the AcDelco digital and paired it with some Shankly protective drivers and a breaker bar. I shall be bringing them all to the next track day should anyone love to try them out ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions

·
Registered
16 Posts
Honestly, if you plan working on car on some weekends only then get the cheapest one.
Read the reviews here . I guess you don't need a super expensive unit. Personally I use cheap EPAuto 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench ($26 or so ) . It works perfectly for my needs.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Craftsman has worked well for me, until I started buying cheap ones from Harbor Freight.

(Never had one calibrated!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts