Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

So trying to get PA inspection on my QV, it has about 1900 miles on it. I bought it new, but a 2020 leftover like 2 months ago.

I was at the Wilmington Pike Alfa dealer in PA, they say that I need to drive my car some more because the system is not ready to make a determination regarding pollution control.

The service manager was confused by this, so was I, he says to drive the car for 100 miles and hopefully the self checking system would kick in… Then we can do the emissions test again.

He thinks even a low battery may have reset the check systems… I have never gotten a low battery warning since buying my car new so.. 🤷🤷🤷🤷🤷

Apologies if this was discussed already,

take a look at the PA inspection report..

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Hello folks,

So trying to get PA inspection on my QV, it has about 1900 miles on it. I bought it new, but a 2020 leftover like 2 months ago.

I was at the Wilmington Pike Alfa dealer in PA, they say that I need to drive my car some more because the system is not ready to make a determination regarding pollution control.

The service manager was confused by this, so was I, he says to drive the car for 100 miles and hopefully the self checking system would kick in… Then we can do the emissions test again.

He thinks even a low battery may have reset the check systems… I have never gotten a low battery warning since buying my car new so.. 🤷🤷🤷🤷🤷

Apologies if this was discussed already,

take a look at the PA inspection report..

Thoughts?

View attachment 112217
Search “emissions testing”, several threads already

·
Registered
355 Posts
If your battery is too low it will never set. If the car is a leftover it may have sat for a long time and may need the battery replaced as a result

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your battery is too low it will never set. If the car is a leftover it may have sat for a long time and may need the battery replaced as a result
Arggh the battery…. I am going to read through the other threads and log a case with Alfacare….

Thankfully everything else is great.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Just buy a battery anyway. $200 and won’t have to worry about it. Alfa cares isnt gonna fix it. Be proactive and you’ll get a result you are looking for. That dealer is one of the better ones. I use Wilmington at times when my guy too busy. One tech there is solid. So if they say it’s battery I would just swap it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just buy a battery anyway. $200 and won’t have to worry about it. Alfa cares isnt gonna fix it. Be proactive and you’ll get a result you are looking for. That dealer is one of the better ones. I use Wilmington at times when my guy too busy. One tech there is solid. So if they say it’s battery I would just swap it.
Yes true, I am going to buy a battery this weekend. I think you suggested one to me last time, i'll look it up. Thank you.

Ted

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have another car that is tuned for off road. Every year I have to tune it for emissions. If I went straight to the testing center I would get a NOT READY error.

Drive for 8 miles between 50 & 60 MPH. Do not hit the brakes, not even once. You will need a quiet road to do this. I do it early in the morning at 6am before traffic. Accelerate from a complete stop to 30MPH and back to a complete stop 4 times. Complete stop.

This has worked for a Chevy and Ford. I don't know if it will work for an Alfa. I have been doing it for years. This assumes the battery is not the issue and the car just doesn't have enough data for emissions which can trigger the NOT READY error. Good luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
At 1968 miles if the battery needs replacement it will be covered. Frankly, the dealer should be replacing the battery before it leaves their lot if the car sat for a while either at the dealer or trying to get here from Italy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have another car that is tuned for off road. Every year I have to tune it for emissions. If I went straight to the testing center I would get a NOT READY error.

Drive for 8 miles between 50 & 60 MPH. Do not hit the brakes, not even once. You will need a quiet road to do this. I do it early in the morning at 6am before traffic. Accelerate from a complete stop to 30MPH and back to a complete stop 4 times. Complete stop.

This has worked for a Chevy and Ford. I don't know if it will work for an Alfa. I have been doing it for years. This assumes the battery is not the issue and the car just doesn't have enough data for emissions which can trigger the NOT READY error. Good luck!
It's worth a try!! LOL

I may likely drop by the same dealer Monday morning early, I mean I already paid for the inspection, so I should just try this, can't hurt....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At 1968 miles if the battery needs replacement it will be covered. Frankly, the dealer should be replacing the battery before it leaves their lot if the car sat for a while either at the dealer or trying to get here from Italy
Gosh my sales people at Criswell were horrible, they said, they wouldn't budge any more on pricing and that I "wouldn't even get a t-shirt from them if I asked"..... yeah, a battery from them? I could die laughing....

·
Registered
72 Posts
My emissions report looked just like yours, "OBD Readiness". If you disconnect your battery, you cannot pass emissions until the ECU has enough data. Hence if the battery went low, it could trigger this. Just get ready for the looks. Who is the a**hole doing 55mph in a supercar! Lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also, that is not my formula, I read it somewhere long time ago and it has always worked.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I suppose it's nice that the Achilles heel of this platform is an easily replaceable part, but man what a nuisance. Are new cars still using batteries supplied by Varta?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is there any more information about which monitors are not ready? There are some different drive patterns for different monitors. For example, HO2S and fuel system generally need steady-state driving to check commanded fuel shift, while catalyst monitoring generally checks function during fuel cut/decel events. If there is a second page that shows what monitors are ready and which are not ready that would help.

I agree about just replacing the battery at your own expense if needed, the dealer probably won't do it unless it tests bad. It's not too expensive and money well spent IMHO.

Reactions: Beta Romeo and TedO

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My emissions report looked just like yours, "OBD Readiness". If you disconnect your battery, you cannot pass emissions until the ECU has enough data. Hence if the battery went low, it could trigger this. Just get ready for the looks. Who is the a**hole doing 55mph in a supercar! Lol
🤣🤣🤣🤣 I don’t drive that fast anyway…

I spent the last 1500 miles breaking the car in and still got a damaged front splitter doing under 5MPH at a stoplight pothole (night time) and managed to have a tire change guy cause a little curb rash on my wheel when switching to all seasons.

Lord knows what kind of things will happen at high speeds🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️, yet I love this car even though I have not even used 50% of its power. One day… prob on a track

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I suppose it's nice that the Achilles heel of this platform is an easily replaceable part, but man what a nuisance. Are new cars still using batteries supplied by Varta?
The service manager told me it’s a Mopar battery….. I am going to prob take AlfaPhilly’s suggestion and just buy the H7 Diehard battery and maybe let the service people put it in…

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
The service manager told me it’s a Mopar battery….. I am going to prob take AlfaPhilly’s suggestion and just buy the H7 Diehard battery and maybe let the service people put it in…
You can do it yourself. Simple tools. Prolly have them in junk drawer. Small socket and screwdriver. Take 10 mins max

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is there any more information about which monitors are not ready? There are some different drive patterns for different monitors. For example, HO2S and fuel system generally need steady-state driving to check commanded fuel shift, while catalyst monitoring generally checks function during fuel cut/decel events. If there is a second page that shows what monitors are ready and which are not ready that would help.

I agree about just replacing the battery at your own expense if needed, the dealer probably won't do it unless it tests bad. It's not too expensive and money well spent IMHO.
could be more info on the monitors, but that’s all the dealer gave me, including my invoice breakdown.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts