Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’ve had my Giulia 10 months with 4300 miles, love it, but.. it’s in the shop for the second time. First time was for two weeks, this time I’m at a week and a half so far, but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes another week.

“Electronic Throttle Needs Service”.
I was told coolant was leaking and they would replace the o ring, but having done so the error light is still coming on, they’ve tried everything, waiting on technicians to come but that could be another 3 days right there.

So now I’m starting to think about the lemon law we have out here, I’m still within the first 18 months, and seriously under the 18,000 miles that are required by my understanding of the law (please correct me if I’m wrong). This being my first car purchase/lease I wasn’t really thinking anything of it, but my coworkers were adimate that I have a case here. So I’m seeking advice from an audience that I know will have insight.

Is there a case here? Or am I just overreacting? And if there is a case, does anyone in California have experience with the process?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Hey sorry to hear that. Whereas i'm next to useless on an answer for you can you state if the car is a purchase or a lease as it's not clear reading it. I think it'd warrant different outcomes.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
So, I’ve had my Giulia 10 months with 4300 miles, love it, but.. it’s in the shop for the second time. First time was for two weeks, this time I’m at a week and a half so far, but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes another week.

I was told coolant was leaking and they would replace the o ring, but having done so the error light is still coming on, they’ve tried everything, waiting on technicians to come but that could be another 3 days right there.

So now I’m starting to think about the lemon law we have out here, I’m still within the first 18 months, and seriously under the 18,000 miles that are required by my understanding of the law (please correct me if I’m wrong). This being my first car purchase/lease I wasn’t really thinking anything of it, but my coworkers were adimate that I have a case here. So I’m seeking advice from an audience that I know will have insight.

Is there a case here? Or am I just overreacting? And if there is a case, does anyone in California have experience with the process?

Thanks!
Sorry to hear about your issues. Every state has its own requirements and rules (I think). For example, I looked into it for GA and we have 24k miles and 24 months to apply. It does not matter if you bought or leased the car, as long as you are the first owner. Dealerships get three attempts to fix the problem if it is not safety related, or one time if it is safety related. If the car has been in the shop for 30 days, it might fall under lemon law.

Mine has been in the shop for 30 days the first time, and is going in again next week with the chance they are keeping it until after the Holidays.

Don't take my word for any of it, as I am just saying what I have read here in GA, so I suggest to just look up CA lemon law rights, and most likely you can call for assistance. I personally rather have my car fixed as I love my car, but at some point I will have enough of it and ask for something else if they cannot fix it.

Good luck, and I hope they can fix the problem. It's too much fun to let go :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
for CA, just hire an attorney that deals with lemon law, they get paid out by the manufacturer not out of your pocket. My boss did a buyback with GM and his attorney fees were paid (that's usually normal)

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
varies State by State as has been said...if you were in NY you would not qualify...based on what you have said...
Sorry to hear however...Good Luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. Every state has its own requirements and rules (I think). For example, I looked into it for GA and we have 24k miles and 24 months to apply. It does not matter if you bought or leased the car, as long as you are the first owner. Dealerships get three attempts to fix the problem if it is not safety related, or one time if it is safety related. If the car has been in the shop for 30 days, it might fall under lemon law.

Mine has been in the shop for 30 days the first time, and is going in again next week with the chance they are keeping it until after the Holidays.

Don't take my word for any of it, as I am just saying what I have read here in GA, so I suggest to just look up CA lemon law rights, and most likely you can call for assistance. I personally rather have my car fixed as I love my car, but at some point I will have enough of it and ask for something else if they cannot fix it.

Good luck, and I hope they can fix the problem. It's too much fun to let go :)
What has yours been in for? Mine is going week two for odd engine behavior (shuddering at low RPMS). I'm also in GA.

·
Registered
498 Posts
What has yours been in for? Mine is going week two for odd engine behavior (shuddering at low RPMS). I'm also in GA.
I had a faulty heater box that overheated the middle tunnel and no heat to the rear vents. It was at the dealership for 30 days, and has to go back next week to fix issues that were created due to the repair, which was told already to expect the car to be back after the Holidays, so that is another two weeks. We shall see....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info folks. It is a lease, and I love the car too, I would only want a replacement.

There just comes a point where I’m paying a lot a month, (lease and insurance) for a car I can’t even drive.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
must suck - did they give you a Giulia loaner at least? I'd suggest to the dealer when you next ask for a status is that after x date you'll be looking for a replacement. If they don't provide you'll be looking for lemon law. Just saying that might get their asses moving or a replacement quicker (finger's x'd)

·
Registered
580 Posts

The coolant leak doesn't cause any warning at all unless the level gets too low. So if they expected that to take care of the "electronic throttle needs service" warning, I don't know what they were thinking.

Greg

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks for the info folks. It is a lease, and I love the car too, I would only want a replacement.

There just comes a point where I’m paying a lot a month, (lease and insurance) for a car I can’t even drive.
At a minimum you should run this through Alfa Romeo Care. I do agree that between payment and insurance, you should expect a car in your possession. First time I got an Alfa loaner, just not sure what is waiting for me next week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts