Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been told after a flash update is performed, does the car need to be reset/calibrated? I'm at the point of frustration because whatever updates are performed I still got this morning I had a stop/start fault.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are talking a month of ownership several updates but yet I need to know if calibration is a necessity when it comes to fully installing these updates. I'm so pissed

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Get an OBD2 bluetooth reader off Amazon, and download the Torque app to your phone. Scan for codes. Check the codes yourself and clear them. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and reconnect if necessary. I think the car will self calibrate on startup. Let it idle a few minutes before driving. Throttle bodies will do this like Ferraris.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The only calibration that I know of after disconnecting the battery is the steering one. I had to do this when I disconnected the battery. I received several warnings and flashing lights after starting the car. I then had to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and hold for a second and then all the way to the right and hold for a second and then return it to center/tires were straight. Turn it off and then back on. All warning and flashing lights went away and I have had no issues since. I'm not saying that you have to do this after a flash but I do know you have to after disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
The only calibration that I know of after disconnecting the battery is the steering one. I had to do this when I disconnected the battery. I received several warnings and flashing lights after starting the car. I then had to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and hold for a second and then all the way to the right and hold for a second and then return it to center/tires were straight. Turn it off and then back on. All warning and flashing lights went away and I have had no issues since. I'm not saying that you have to do this after a flash but I do know you have to after disconnecting the battery.
The manual says that the sunroof and windows need recalibration after disconnecting the battery.

I would not be surprised if a reflash requires some recalibration and/or resets whatever was learned by the TCU.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to get to the bottom of this because pretty soon the keys are going back to the dealer

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Been told after a flash update is performed, does the car need to be reset/calibrated? I'm at the point of frustration because whatever updates are performed I still got this morning I had a stop/start fault.
if this is true, that a reset/recalibration, needs to be done after RRTs/updates are preformed...that should be on the dealer who preformed the service NOT YOU, they should have given you the car ready to go........what dealer did the service?....I ask for one reason only...
I have always stated on this forum that the real issue here are the dealerships and their ability to provide quality service for a brand new platform.
Some dealers are 100% up to the task and others are woefully lacking....principally because this new platform is nothing like they have ever worked on.
The issue I had with my Quad initially was solved by another dealer, not where I purchased the car...
I have been to that dealer on 2 other occasions for software & RRTs updates. and my car has been flawless since the initial issue...
Perhaps try a dedicated Alfa/Ferrari/Maserati dealer??....worked for me.
Best of Luck
M

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll send you a PM, I do not think want to mention the name of the dealership

if this is true, that a reset/recalibration, needs to be done after RRTs/updates are preformed...that should be on the dealer who preformed the service NOT YOU, they should have given you the car ready to go........what dealer did the service?....I ask for one reason only...
I have always stated on this forum that the real issue here are the dealerships and their ability to provide quality service for a brand new platform.
Some dealers are 100% up to the task and others are woefully lacking....principally because this new platform is nothing like they have ever worked on.
The issue I had with my Quad initially was solved by another dealer, not where I purchased the car...
I have been to that dealer on 2 other occasions for software & RRTs updates. and my car has been flawless since the initial issue...
Best of Luck
M

·
Registered
340 Posts
Best of Luck
M
^^^^This.

Within the instructions for using the dealer flashing system (WiTech), it should lead them through whatever steps necessary for any learning procedures that need to be done post ECU programming or replacement. These are procedures they should be performing after updating the ECU.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I need to get to the bottom of this because pretty soon the keys are going back to the dealer
I would advise you deal with your dealer only. Make them come get the car and bring you a replacement. Why spend anything yourself or lift a finger to make up for their incompetence.

I think in the end you'll find it a dealership problem rather than an Alfa problem. (I know that are in theory they are one and the same)

I find the problem with this forum is it is making everyone paranoid no matter if you have had any problems or not. These are dang fine cars and I think it would be a shame to let yours go if it was just a dealership problem. On the other hand, I would fully understand.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dealer where I got this car doesn't have the greatest service dept and its also further away from where I live. I will not get rid of the car believe me but I'm frustrated to the point that Alfa themselves is recognizing a problem but they are waiting a month or even more to get this update loaded into this car. Today, got me even more frustrated when the stop/start fault detected and the car stalled. If this dealer cannot figure the issues than I'm going somewhere else.

I would advise you deal with your dealer only. Make them come get the car and bring you a replacement. Why spend anything yourself or lift a finger to make up for their incompetence.

I think in the end you'll find it a dealership problem rather than an Alfa problem. (I know that are in theory they are one and the same)

I find the problem with this forum is it is making everyone paranoid no matter if you have had any problems or not. These are dang fine cars and I think it would be a shame to let yours go if it was just a dealership problem. On the other hand, I would fully understand.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So if calibration is essential and what if these update didn't calibrated what is the next step?

^^^^This.

Within the instructions for using the dealer flashing system (WiTech), it should lead them through whatever steps necessary for any learning procedures that need to be done post ECU programming or replacement. These are procedures they should be performing after updating the ECU.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0
104 Posts
I may be totally off the topic over here but.. I had the start/stop fault just because I didn't close the hood completely. When that was done.. I didn't get any fault regarding the start/stop

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You had the stop/start system failure related to the hood. This displayed said: stop/start fault detected

I may be totally off the topic over here but.. I had the start/stop fault just because I didn't close the hood completely. When that was done.. I didn't get any fault regarding the start/stop

·
Registered
340 Posts
So if calibration is essential and what if these update didn't calibrated what is the next step?
My recommendation is essentially the same as everyone elses. The dealer will need to carry out the necessary learning procedures (if any).

They typically need to be done post ECU reprogramming or replacement, so they should probably perform the update again and then proceed to perform whatever is necessary.

Now, keep in mind, that's assuming there is some procedure required. There may not be depending on what the update was for.

---What model vehicle is this?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the car is going back in tomorrow, the dealer wants to see what is going on at this point.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is a base giulia built in February

My recommendation is essentially the same as everyone elses. The dealer will need to carry out the necessary learning procedures (if any).

They typically need to be done post ECU reprogramming or replacement, so they should probably perform the update again and then proceed to perform whatever is necessary.

Now, keep in mind, that's assuming there is some procedure required. There may not be depending on what the update was for.

---What model vehicle is this?

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is a base giulia built in February
We had our Giulia 2.0L taken in a month or two ago (Alfa Romeo of Edmond) for updates. We have had zero issues with the car since (Jordan experienced the stop/start fault prior to the update also).

So, hopefully they will get you squared away and resolve the issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts