Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Julius, my 2018 Ti Sport, is getting very close to the 20,000 mile service so replaced the cabin filter today. After getting the lower hush panel off above the passenger footwell it was clear that serious contortion would be required to even see the filter cover, just as has been reported in other threads on this forum. Being old and not so bendable anymore I decided to see if taking the glove box out would make the job easier. I can happily report that this is the way to go. With the glove box out it is possible to see all of the filter cover while still on your knees on the floor outside the car. And you can reach through the hole where the glove box was to reach the filter and put the new one in. Putting the new one in is still not a straight shot but a lot better than trying to do it from below.

Removing the glove box is pretty easy. Once the hush panel is off, two round head machine screws with 5mm hex sockets are exposed. Loosen these screws, then open the glove box door and find three sheet metal-type round head screws with T20 Torx sockets on the upper edge near the door opening. Remove these screws with their flat washers, close the door, and remove the two bottom screws previously loosened with their flat washers and rubber cushions. Then pry along the top edge of the glove box assembly with a plastic trim tool or a stiff bladed putty knife (be careful with a steel knife) to loosen the retainer clips. Once you have it out far enough to get your fingers behind the edge, you can work along the edge and pull the rest of the retainer clips out. After removing the glove box you will need to disconnect the connectors at the lamp and at the door switch. The shop manual procedure for glove box removal also tells you to remove the trim piece at the end of the instrument panel, which I did, but found it to be of no use and won't do it next time.

I did not remove the foam air duct to the floor outlet. Getting the filter in would have been easier if I had and may do it next time. I guarantee I'll be taking the glove box out again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Julius, my 2018 Ti Sport, is getting very close to the 20,000 mile service so replaced the cabin filter today. After getting the lower hush panel off above the passenger footwell it was clear that serious contortion would be required to even see the filter cover, just as has been reported in other threads on this forum. Being old and not so bendable anymore I decided to see if taking the glove box out would make the job easier. I can happily report that this is the way to go. With the glove box out it is possible to see all of the filter cover while still on your knees on the floor outside the car. And you can reach through the hole where the glove box was to reach the filter and put the new one in. Putting the new one in is still not a straight shot but a lot better than trying to do it from below.

Removing the glove box is pretty easy. Once the hush panel is off, two round head machine screws with 5mm hex sockets are exposed. Loosen these screws, then open the glove box door and find three sheet metal-type round head screws with T20 Torx sockets on the upper edge near the door opening. Remove these screws with their flat washers, close the door, and remove the two bottom screws previously loosened with their flat washers and rubber cushions. Then pry along the top edge of the glove box assembly with a plastic trim tool or a stiff bladed putty knife (be careful with a steel knife) to loosen the retainer clips. Once you have it out far enough to get your fingers behind the edge, you can work along the edge and pull the rest of the retainer clips out. After removing the glove box you will need to disconnect the connectors at the lamp and at the door switch. The shop manual procedure for glove box removal also tells you to remove the trim piece at the end of the instrument panel, which I did, but found it to be of no use and won't do it next time.

I did not remove the foam air duct to the floor outlet. Getting the filter in would have been easier if I had and may do it next time. I guarantee I'll be taking the glove box out again.
Thank you for this post. I did this today and it was actually easier than I thought it would be. Removing the glove box made it doable. Not easy but doable. Total time was probably about 45 minutes from start to finish taking my time. Thanks again! Big help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had my glove box out to pass a wire through the firewall, so decided to do the cabin air filter since it was accessible and the car is 2 years old. Here is a pic. I can’t imagine doing it with the glove box in, I give full credit to the near sighted, midget, contortionists that can though.

Reactions: chaadster and alfan

·
Registered
61 Posts
If I recall that's one of the connectors to the glove box. I don't know why by it has 2 electrical connectors and I think only 1 is a light. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One connector for the lamp, other connector for the door switch.

Reactions: shockvalue

·
Registered
264 Posts
Or you do it the way Alfa has in it manual but remove the knee air bag too. This gives a lot more room.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts