Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received June's Car and Driver and they tested the new Continental a ExtremeContact Sports on the Quadrifoglio. They chose these instead of the more common in this class Michelin Pilot Sports because Michelin doesn't have the unusual rear tire size that the Q uses. Results:

- Corsas. ExtremeContacts
0-60mph. 3.6s. 3.9s
70-0mph. 143ft. 156ft
Skidpad. 1.00g. 0.96g

There you have it. If you downgrade from the Corsas you will have a noticeable loss of performance.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I really hope that Michelin adds the rear size to their Pilot Sport tire. I really like Michelin's, and hope that this will be an option when I have to replace the tires.

In regard to the C&D comparison, I'd like to see the same comparison done with the non-Corsa version of the Pirelli tire. Also, it would be nice to know if they are comparing numbers that they themselves acquired for both types of tires, or did they only test the Continental's and then compare the result to previously published numbers for the Corsa's?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just received June's Car and Driver and they tested the new Continental a ExtremeContact Sports on the Quadrifoglio. They chose these instead of the more common in this class Michelin Pilot Sports because Michelin doesn't have the unusual rear tire size that the Q uses. Results:

- Corsas. ExtremeContacts
0-60mph. 3.6s. 3.9s
70-0mph. 143ft. 156ft
Skidpad. 1.00g. 0.96g

There you have it. If you downgrade from the Corsas you will have a noticeable loss of performance.
Everyone has been waiting to see the impact of non-R rated rubber on the QV, but the degree of drop off seems a bit too low.

I've typically found Continental tire to be crappy in general, but I'd be curious to see both the M3 ZCP and Quadrifoglio on the same exact tires. I usually prefer Michelin but have to say, I really like the Pirelli P-Zero Corsa System tires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
P-Zero Corsas are super-sport tyres just like Michelin Pilot Super Sport not semi-slicks, the difference is that Pirelli use the same treadwear rubber for both their super sport tyre "P Zero Corsa" and their semi-slick "P Zero Trofeo R", so P Zero Corsa is the Pirelli counterpart to Michelin Pilot Super Sport and P Zero Trofeo R to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2

Well in a recent test of italian magazine auto, Giulia Quadrifoglio, was faster in track(and not only) than the track-focused, stripped-out two-seater M4 GTS which has Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 semi-slicks as standard.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
for those lazy to check

lap time

Giulia Quadrifoglio 2'50"21
BMW M4 GTS 2'50"81
BMW M4 2'55"91
BMW M3 2'57"50

0-400m (0-1/4 mile)

Giulia Q 11"76
M4 GTS 11"99

0-100 km/h (0-62 mph)

Giulia Q 3"86
M4 GTS 3"83

0-160 km/h (0-100 mph)

Giulia Q 7"85
M4 GTS 8"34

80-120km/h in D (50-75mph)

Giulia Q 2"42
M4 GTS 2"51

100km/h-0 (62mph-0)

Giulia Q 30,8m (101ft)
M4 GTS 30,8m (101ft)

160km/h-0 (100mph-0)

Giulia Q 78,9m (259ft)
M4 GTS 83,3m (273ft)

·
Supporting Vendor
728 Posts
I really hope that Michelin adds the rear size to their Pilot Sport tire. I really like Michelin's, and hope that this will be an option when I have to replace the tires.
Michelin does make the Pilot Sport 4S (the replacement for the Pilot Super Sport) in 255/35-19 and 295/30-19 sizes, which I am using with good results.

I think the 10mm wider tread width compared with stock makes up for the less sticky rubber compound to a certain extent. So far I am very pleased with the change.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Michelin does make the Pilot Sport 4S (the replacement for the Pilot Super Sport) in 255/35-19 and 295/30-19 sizes, which I am using with good results.

I think the 10mm wider tread width compared with stock makes up for the less sticky rubber compound to a certain extent. So far I am very pleased with the change.
Would be great to obtain objective comparative numbers on this combination. To rossocompetizione, the Corsas' Michelin counterpart are the Pilot Sport Cups. The counterparts to the Pilot Sports (now superseded by the 4S's that JoeCab is using) are the 4th generation PZeros released late last year. As you mention, the Trofeos are somewhat more extreme that the Corsas.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No, you're a bit confused due to the new generation of tyres, Michelin Pilot Sport (4) is the counterpart of Pirelli P-Zero, Michelin Pilot Super Sport the counterpart of Pirelli P-Zero Corsa, and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup (2) the counterpart of Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo (R).
The new generation of Michelin Pilot Sport, the 4, performs better in 99% of everyday situations than the current Pilot Super Sport, but it's not its successor, there will be a real replacement, a new generation of Pilot Super Sport later.
Pirelli P-Zero Corsa are not semi-slicks neither have an aggressive design like Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo R, but use the same compound of the latter, improving the performance of the standard Pirelli P-Zero.
Pirelli in the new P-Zero family, consider the standard P-Zero and the new P-Zero Corsa as part of the same family, in fact there are three version of the new P-Zero family, the standard P-Zero for luxury salons, the standard P-Zero in version for sports cars, and the P-Zero Corsa for performance cars and super cars. The R rated Pirelli is the Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R with its semi-slick design

Sport tyres

Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Pirelli P-Zero

Super Sport tyres

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Pirelli P-Zero Corsa

semi-slick

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I am going to venture to say that on a blind test of all the above mentioned tires, 95% of the QV owners wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them.......
That is just my guess of course......

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sport tyres

Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Pirelli P-Zero

Super Sport tyres

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Pirelli P-Zero Corsa

semi-slick

Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R
I agree with your first and last comparisons but not with the second. Yes, as you mention the Corsas have a thread design that is street friendly but because it has the soft/sticky tire compound it has a thread wear rating of 60 compared with 300 for the Pilot Sports. These put them in another category altogether. Let's just say that the Corsas have their own niche.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Anyone here have experience with the Pirelli P Zero "Nero" tires? I may use those tires for my 19" wheel upgrade for my BASE RWD Giulia.

The "Nero" tire seems like a decent upgrade over the current P7 run flats without going overboard.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with your first and last comparisons but not with the second. Yes, as you mention the Corsas have a thread design that is street friendly but because it has the soft/sticky tire compound it has a thread wear rating of 60 compared with 300 for the Pilot Sports. These put them in another category altogether. Let's just say that the Corsas have their own niche.
It's true that Pirelli use the same compound on P Zero Corsa and P Zero Trofeo R, which is a lot stickier than the one used on Pilot Super Sport, but the latter has a more extreme thread design compared to P Zero Corsa.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I am going to venture to say that on a blind test of all the above mentioned tires, 95% of the QV owners wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them.......
Haha. Personally I'd just run PS91's, cheap, little harder compound than pirelli and Michelin but retain reasonable grip.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Anyone here have experience with the Pirelli P Zero "Nero" tires? I may use those tires for my 19" wheel upgrade for my BASE RWD Giulia.

The "Nero" tire seems like a decent upgrade over the current P7 run flats without going overboard.
P Zero Nero is a member of the older P Zero family, there's a new P Zero (2016) family, I would advise the new P Zero which is one of the few new high performance tyres which have the manufacturer suggested 225/40 R19 size, for best performance use 225/40 R19 front and 255/35 R19 rear.

·
Supporting Vendor
728 Posts
There is some confusion regarding the Michelin naming convention (and rightly so).

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is NOT the same tire as the Pilot Sport 4S. The Pilot Super Sport is being discontinued, and the replacement is the Pilot Sport 4S.

Tirerack classifies both of these Michelins as "Max Performance Summer Tires" whereas the PZero Corsas are listed as "Streetable Track and Competition Tires". So yes they are a different class of tire.

I have the Super Sports on our 4C and the new Pilot Sport 4S feels very similar on the Giuia QV. I think they are a great overall tire, they will probably give up a little to the PZero Corsas in peak conditions (i.e. warm and sunny) but outperform them in less ideal conditions. They are definitely quieter, but seem to have similar sidewall stiffness so the ride is about the same.

·
Registered
223 Posts
P Zero Nero is a member of the older P Zero family, there's a new P Zero (2016) family, I would advise the new P Zero which is one of the few new high performance tyres which have the manufacturer suggested 225/40 R19 size, for best performance use 225/40 R19 front and 255/35 R19 rear.
Thanks for that info...I have a set of TSW "Vale" in silver I should have by the end of this week ahead...they are 19x8.5 all the way around. I am looking at running 235/40/19's with the new wheel set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
The ideal comparison if manufactures decide to make the standard spec rear tire sizes for the Quadrifoglio should be:

Pirelli PZero Corsa

VS.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Pirelli P Zero PZ4
Continental ExtremeContact Sport (Just to compare the numbers with the rest)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Agreed. For enthusiasts, the information above is a good stare and compare. For all others; analysis paralysis.

·
Supporting Vendor
728 Posts
Agreed. For enthusiasts, the information above is a good stare and compare. For all others; analysis paralysis.
This is absolutely true. The other thing to think about is that a QV will go through tires so quickly that a set of tires is not really a long term commitment anyway :grin2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.