Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I negotiate a Ti from out of state, what is the process?

Obviously, I can fly out and drive it home but what are the other options?

Can they trade with a local dealer and I save money on shipping or do I have to ship myself?

Bottom line - I'm in S. Fl and the discounts and deals seem to be out of state. I'm willing to travel but if there is a cheaper way, than why not.

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
I located the exact model I wanted by googling the Model and features and color. I am in Ohio - the car I found was in the Philadelphia area. I had been working with a local dealer through test drives and early discussions about what I wanted. They were happy to buy the car from the Philly dealer and then sell to me, at the same discount I would have gotten on a car in their lot. I agreed to pay about $400 in transport costs. It worked out well and saved me having to do a purchase in Philly and drive the car home.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I purchased mine from https://www.alfaromeousaofstrongsville.com/ and they had it delivered it to NC as part of the deal. It took them a while to contract out the delivery but it all worked out fine in the end.
Ditto. Same here. I think we would fly and drive though if we do it again. Nothing is the same as driving a brand spanking clean car out of the dealer and you check it out and can ask all the questions. This worked out fine after she got a bath and even though there was a few cosmetic issues (mostly due to transport) GM at Strongsville is very supportive. She was spotless when she left but then she had to weather a little snow storm and rain the whole way she arrived looking like you would think. She needed a bath but honestly we were so tired I waited until the morning. We should have had the driver come back in the morning but we know time is money with the drivers so we tried to accommodate but we shouldn’t have taken the car after 10 pm. We were a very long transport basically a cross country trip and considering all that she is so far driving amazingly well. So far what she excels at is the reason we got her. You can also look around other states and see if Strongsville can get the car on a trade.

I can say this. Strongsville had the most selection and I could have picked out probably 5 cars that met the key features and colors. Rather than giving me the strong arm about oh the rebates won’t be there if you order one they said don’t worry if you want to order it we can do that and work with you on it. The local dealers only wanted to sell their inventory so even if you decided to order I would still got the Strongsville route or another dealer that doesn’t try to scare you with oh you are going to pay so much more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

So if an out of state trades with a local, can/do you negotiate with the out of state?

The "deals" down here don't seem to be anything like I've seen in other states.

So if I found a car at Strongsville or anywhere else, do I negotiate a price and then see if they will trade down here or just have them ship directly to me?

I guess what I'm asking is what's the benefit of trading with a local dealer?

thanks again

·
Registered
316 Posts
Unless you find a very friendly out of state dealer you will have to pay for shipping no matter how you buy it.

- The local dealer can buy the car form the out of state dealer and have it transported (you will be charged for shipping).
- You can buy the car from the out of state dealer and they will use a car-transporter to ship to a dealer near you (you will be charged for shipping).
- My out of state dealer just drove it to me (350 miles), free.
- Some professional auto transporting companies offer drivers to transport vehicles, which is less expensive than hauling it by truck.
- Some people transport cars for a living. uShip is one place to find them although there are others. Also you can put an ad in Craigslist. There are always college kids wanting to get paid to go somewhere.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had a fairly painless process last year when I bought my QV out of state. Negotiation was easy (well, what little negotiation there was at the time!) and they "threw" in the delivery. Lol. Anyway, it was covered delivery right to my home. I did take video of it coming off the truck for posterity :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

So if an out of state trades with a local, can/do you negotiate with the out of state?
They won't trade cars with each other. Your local dealer will buy it from the other dealer and then sell it to you. They don't really like to do this because it doesn't count against their monthly sales quota the same way. You deal with the local dealer in this case since you are buying it from them.

So if I found a car at Strongsville or anywhere else, do I negotiate a price and then see if they will trade down here or just have them ship directly to me?
You can do either. However, dealers MUCH prefer to sell you a car they have in stock. You can negotiate with the out of state dealer, then take that quote to a local dealer and see if they will match it with a similar car. Tell them, rightly, that you would prefer to buy from a local dealer, but you will go out of state if necessary. Tell the remote dealer you are doing this, too - I believe it is always best to be up front so each will do their best.

Also, there are few independent dealerships any more. They have parent companies that own many dealerships. See if a local company has an out of state Alfa Romeo dealership. That is what happened with me - a local Maserati dealership in Cary, NC had an in-network Alfa Romeo dealer in Annapolis, Maryland who gave me a much better price than the local AR dealer and then delivered it to the Maserati dealer at no charge, where I picked it up (350 miles).

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought out of state. They said they could ship it or I could find a shipper. The latter was much cheaper.
Warning: the car shipping industry is a big racket with lots of unsavory characters suddenly calling and emailing you trying to get your business. Don’t put your info on a website to get them to contact you. Your phone will blow up.
I can highly recommend the one I settled on—pm me if you need the contact info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Criswell in Germantown, MD

I picked up a Stelvio Ti Sport in March (the deals were insane) and I'm sure you can still get great deals but I would suggest limiting your search to a distance you would be willing to drive and just negotiate with one dealer and not involve the added shipping costs (kind of defeats the purpose of finding the best possible deal)....I've bought my last 5 daily drivers out of state using Autotrader....
I select the exact model I'm looking for with a couple of color choices, all the features I want and search anywhere from 100 - 300 miles....Trust me, you will find a ton of cars to choose from ....You send an email and you will get flooded with instant replies (I have a secondary email account that I use for this stuff so I don't clutter up my main email)....and then, let the fun begin....My Stelvio Ti Sport had an MSRP of $52840...the dealer (via incentives and what have you) had it listed on their site for $44777 (with no haggling on my end...this was their selling price !!!) ....Then they offered me $10000 over my worst local trade offer quote for my 2016 Volvo V 60 R Design wagon that I was trading and $4137 more than my best local trade offer, which turned out to be $3387 more than I owed !!!! And so, on the last day of March (Saturday March 31st), my family and I ventured out for a 4 hour drive one way to Germantown, MD and drove our new Stelvio home another 4 hours....great way to break in a new car....nice and easy...highway miles.....D

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts